Notices

Engine Rebuild Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 10:47 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 141 Posts

Yea Porsche has really dropped the price on short blocks and don't seem picky on cores either. Cheap no but better than buying a who knows what used engine or finding a machine shop willing to take on the work with a quick turn around time
Old 01-26-2019, 11:02 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 351 Posts

Yup, AFAIK it's a NEW short block now, the core is to get the bad press off the market and to keep usable cores away from rebuilder/reman and keep it 'Porsche'

Originally Posted by Gregster
Yea Porsche has really dropped the price on short blocks and don't seem picky on cores either. Cheap no but better than buying a who knows what used engine or finding a machine shop willing to take on the work with a quick turn around time
Old 01-27-2019, 12:01 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I am sure they it will require valve guides, timing chains, bearings sets and replace all the various bolts and a new IMS.So with a 8k short block what is the rebuild going to cost at the end of it all.

My block was sent out and sleeved and coated with nikasil for far less then 8k, including new pistons. IMO at the end of the day that a 8k locasil block is junk and just end up requiring the rebuild to be done again.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:39 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Nickies are a nice upgrade but AFAIK the Porsche short block is ALL NEW, all 5 chains, chain ramps, tensioners, con. rods, pistons/rings, crank, oil pump, IMS shaft/bearing, etc... with a 2 year warranty which is a further reassurance to the customer, I have a specific budget to meet

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I am sure they it will require valve guides, timing chains, bearings sets and replace all the various bolts and a new IMS.So with a 8k short block what is the rebuild going to cost at the end of it all.

My block was sent out and sleeved and coated with nikasil for far less then 8k, including new pistons. IMO at the end of the day that a 8k locasil block is junk and just end up requiring the rebuild to be done again.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:17 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993GT
Nickies are a nice upgrade but AFAIK the Porsche short block is ALL NEW, all 5 chains, chain ramps, tensioners, con. rods, pistons/rings, crank, oil pump, IMS shaft/bearing, etc... with a 2 year warranty which is a further reassurance to the customer, I have a specific budget to meet
Yes sir and I fine with the cores going back to Porsche. And as I mentioned turn around time as well is a huge factor. Getting a set of heads back from the machine shop around here is around 24-48hours tops... 8k for a completely new rotating assembly is worth it.. Not Porsche related but BMW has really dropped the price on N63 engines and N20/26 short blocks as well. N26 are around 6k-8k for a long block
Old 01-28-2019, 12:04 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

bingo, not everyone has weeks/months/years to screw around
funny about n20/26, had a couple COMPLETE/happy m52's fully dressed with harness/ecu, manifold/02s, full accessory drive and I couldn't give them away -still have one sitting here
Originally Posted by Gregster
Yes sir and I fine with the cores going back to Porsche. And as I mentioned turn around time as well is a huge factor. Getting a set of heads back from the machine shop around here is around 24-48hours tops... 8k for a completely new rotating assembly is worth it.. Not Porsche related but BMW has really dropped the price on N63 engines and N20/26 short blocks as well. N26 are around 6k-8k for a long block
Old 01-28-2019, 10:38 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

It does sounds a bit cheaper then. I spent at least 1.5k just for a LN dual row bearing retrofit to change from the single row ims and proabably 3.5k more on all the other parts that come with the short block.
Only thing is Nikasil is much stronger and can stand up to the thrust abuse that is will take latter on in life. Those locasil as soon as they start pumping will start wearing the 4,5,6 cylinders it will last probably up to 70k with no problems but that is no good enough for a long time ownership with low yearly mileage so a 2 year warranty is not worth anything really.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:27 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

It does sounds a bit cheaper then. I spent at least 1.5k just for a LN dual row bearing retrofit to change from the single row ims and proabably 3.5k more on all the other parts that come with the short block.
Only thing is Nikasil is much stronger and can stand up to the thrust abuse that is will take latter on in life. Those locasil as soon as they start pumping will start wearing the 4,5,6 cylinders it will last probably up to 70k with no problems but that is no good enough for a long time ownership with low yearly mileage so a 2 year warranty is not worth anything really.

My engine has over 300K kms on it and the bores are not scored or worn in a way to show a lip at TDC. They will last and most do just not all of them. Yours seems to be in be one that didn't last.
Would be interesting to know if Porsche increased the tolerances between the cylinder and the piston in these new replacement engines.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:29 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

The idea of a $8,800 short block (wait, does that include PCA discount?) is very inciting, but then we get to the REASON for requiring a rebuild, which generally boils down to IMS issues, or cylinder wall issues (either chunking or scoring).

Makes you wonder why Porsche is still manufacturing the case with the same flawed process. Couldn't they do new cases in alusil like all their new engines?
Old 01-28-2019, 11:33 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

I would think your engine is one of the few. Probably from one of the sunny states and high mileage helped it. Drive it in Canadian winters, I do not believe it would have lasted that long.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:43 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

I would think your engine is one of the few. Probably from one of the sunny states and high mileage helped it. Drive it in Canadian winters, I do not believe it would have lasted that long.
Spend all it's life 90 min, west of Chicago and I'm pretty sure it was driven all the time. The rads were full of gravel that comes with winter driving.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:23 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

bingo, not everyone has weeks/months/years to screw around
funny about n20/26, had a couple COMPLETE/happy m52's fully dressed with harness/ecu, manifold/02s, full accessory drive and I couldn't give them away -still have one sitting here
The engine places in the states the backlog is months. And let's face it many of the 3.4l powered cars are worth 18-30k depending on condition... It gets to the point where it needs be to economical to repair. Not everyone has 20k for an engine rebuild and I don't want cars sitting around here for months.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:06 AM
rmstar
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nikasil coating engine rebuilder
Originally Posted by bazhart . Baz
Because the success of this system relies on the quality of the machining we do not sell the Cylinders - that is except that we have undertaken an experiment to supply one North American continent business (Alpine Autoweks Calgary) who impressed us with their approach to quality and readiness to accept our strict quality controls and procedures and to install their own version of our machining system.
Good to know that we have other option from our neighbour province, Alpine Autoweks Calgary, AB Canada
https://www.facebook.com/Alpine-Auto...1738743562625/
Keep us posted on your 4.0 9A1 project. Good luck Baz
Old 03-09-2019, 06:28 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 164 Posts

There is a guy on autotrade.ca with a 3.4 that had a rebuild done at EU Autowerks with a Porsche long block. All in with tax was just shy of $19k cdn. Block was $8k. 40 hours. I don’t know the guy but saved the receipts from the autotrader ad.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:34 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by steam_mill
There is a guy on autotrade.ca with a 3.4 that had a rebuild done at EU Autowerks with a Porsche long block. All in with tax was just shy of $19k cdn. Block was $8k. 40 hours. I don’t know the guy but saved the receipts from the autotrader ad.
40 hours to swap out a longblock? Were they working on island time?

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild Recommendation