Notices

Engine Rebuild Recommendation

Old 11-12-2014, 12:35 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this what scored cylinders leads too?
Old 11-12-2014, 12:37 PM
2001Porsche911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's possible, who knows they may have given the owner more information than they gave me on the phone when I called. The guy said he was just reading off the diagnosis that they had one file
Old 11-12-2014, 12:39 PM
2001Porsche911
Instructor

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
Is this what scored cylinders leads too?
Initially when I told the shop in Chicago the cylinders were scored, they said they see this often and they could just put liners in and rebuild the engine. Once they opened the engine,they saw the cylinder liners were completely broken, as well as pretty much every internal component destroyed. I'm guessing the cylinder liners were scored so bad that they cracked?
Old 11-12-2014, 03:39 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Look at the blue journal on the crankshaft for the centre cylinder. That connecting rod bearing starved of oil for sure, then it spun and heated up the crank journal to red hot. When this happened, the connecting rod welded itself to the crank and the end cap flew off. I have a feeling either the engine ran out of oil or the oil pump screen was blocked. Regardless, the engine was probably near redline when it all let go.

I wonder if putting C4 in a cylinder and popping it would cause more damage than this.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:19 PM
2001Porsche911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Imo000
Look at the blue journal on the crankshaft for the centre cylinder. That connecting rod bearing starved of oil for sure, then it spun and heated up the crank journal to red hot. When this happened, the connecting rod welded itself to the crank and the end cap flew off. I have a feeling either the engine ran out of oil or the oil pump screen was blocked. Regardless, the engine was probably near redline when it all let go.

I wonder if putting C4 in a cylinder and popping it would cause more damage than this.
That's a great explanation and looks like that is exactly what happened !

How can you tell the engine was near redline before this happened ?
Old 11-12-2014, 08:09 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, the only word comes to mind is "Mangled".
Old 11-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
That sucker was spinning like hell when it came apart. I would clean it up and make a coffee table out of it.

The dealer diagnosed this as scored cylinders?
Scored with extreme prejudice...
Old 11-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by 2001Porsche911
That's a great explanation and looks like that is exactly what happened !

How can you tell the engine was near redline before this happened ?

Usually a "blown engine" is a broken connecting rod or a broken piston, maybe some chunks missing from the cylinders or bent valves. For your engine to have this much destruction, it needs a lot fo force and that usually means the engine was sprinning really fast. It's blind luck that nothig punched a hole in your block.

Have a look at this clip, it gets interesting at the 0:30 mark

Old 11-13-2014, 04:09 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A real bore scope check would have revealed some obvious and more serious (catastrophic, really!) damage than scored cylinders.
Either the PO obviously withheld essential information at sale time or the dealer was incompetent to provide a rebuild recommendation.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:19 PM
2001Porsche911
Instructor

Originally Posted by JMLavoie
A real bore scope check would have revealed some obvious and more serious (catastrophic, really!) damage than scored cylinders.
Either the PO obviously withheld essential information at sale time or the dealer was incompetent to provide a rebuild recommendation.
That what I was thinking too. I can't blame the previous owner because he didn't tell me anything about the car, he said he had no idea what happened to it. I called Pfaff myself and got all the service records and then questioned the investigation they did for the failed engine, they are the ones that told me that they did a bore scope test on the car and it showed that cylinders 4,5,6 had scored/damaged liners and damaged pistons.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:28 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

You might want to show them these pictures and enjoy their ... shall I say: "stupefaction".
Old 11-13-2014, 08:13 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

If the dealer did the diagnosis, the PO was told exactly what they saw in the boreacope. The service record is a very simplified version of what they found but regardless, out of everyone, the PO knows exactly what happened to the engine.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:54 PM
riddler777
Racer

offtopic:

can anyone explain what sort of intake manifold this is, and is there a power increase or something, compared to the stock plastic one (seems to have more air volume)

Old 11-14-2014, 01:10 PM
riddler777
Racer

Originally Posted by 9964runner
Not sure I agree with this. Looks like someone pulled the liners to check for scoring, and if you look very closely to the center piston, there are signs of damage!

and judging by this pic

we can see that the conrod bearing surface is black/dark this means that the bearing shells were on their way out. and that this bearing had spun (therefore heated up and expanded) and as there was no rotation possible this conrod seized - then all hell broke loose.

that might be the main killer in this case, maybe more spun bearings, that is why it came out so catastrophic.

I make these conclusions after I have recently rebuilt my own Carrera that I bought with a "blown gasket" non runner

basically what I would do right away after purchasing a 996 Carrera/ Carrera4/ Carrera 4S, is rip the engine apart and inspect the rod bearing shells, and probably install new ones for good measure. yes it is no fun, but it might save a lot of money later

and 996s die mostly because of this, for example my car is a 250000miles + and all other bits and pieces are in very good shape.

but compared to a, lets say, beemer, where it is relatively easy to replace the shells. 996 is far more complicated, that's why noone does this and drive till the end...

and conrodbearings are the ones that suffer the most wear, the main bearings actually last almost forever. but the up and down movement of the piston wears off the rod bearings much quicker compared to simple rotation movement of the crank (main bearings)
Old 12-01-2014, 09:22 AM
2001Porsche911
Instructor

Update: Car was completed last early last week, I took a flight down on Saturday and drove the car back. The car drove flawlessly back for 9.5 hours straight, engine temperature was perfect, fluids good and no leaks. So far I am very happy, the car drives great!

Here is my review of MB Motorsports service, shop, etc:

1) Agnes & Martin have been great to deal with, they are very easy to communicate with via text, e-mail or phone

2) They have always stood by the initial quote they provided me with and never tried to over-sell me on anything that was not needed, they are very honest people

3) The shop looks great, very clean, everything neatly laid out

4) They sent me pictures of everything as requested and were very detailed in explaining potential issues, etc

Overall, I would highly recommend MB motorsports based on my service and experience. I will continue to update this thread once I put more KM's on the car. So far I have done about 1500 km without any issues

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild Recommendation