Notices

Motorcycles and Hwys in the GTA

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 11:43 AM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycles and Hwys in the GTA

Is it me? Am I getting old? Is having 3 young kids getting to me?

In the past month, I have witnessed motorcycle riders in groups of more then 5 driving down major highways with VERY aggressive moves, obviously intentional lane splitting, and driving on paved shoulders. The speed is not what I care about, its the total lack of respect for other drivers on the road.

I would love to see the police do something about these overly aggressive bike riders... and its very hard to feel remorseful when you hear about tragic accidents involving groups of bike riders.

The proper lane blocking, courteous, respectful, motorcycle rider always gets my respect, and I purposely avoid driving close to them so they can enjoy the road.

For the idiot lane splitting, aggressive driving motorcycle groups putting other people in unnecessary harms way... I hope you visit your friend in rehab after he has been there for 6 months, lonely and regretful. I hope you visit your friends parents after your friend passes due to stupid driving... its the only way you will learn.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:59 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

You're not alone, I've noticed it too. There were two incidences last night alone on the 401, one involving a single bike that wiped out and one that involved 3 bikes with some pretty serious injuries.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

Agreed, experienced this stupidity first hand on Saturday morning heading to Port Hope group of 12 weaving in an out of heavily congested traffic. Complete lack of respect for other drivers and putting everyone in danger.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:51 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride sport bikes quite a bit, generally by myself but at most with a 2nd rider in tow. I've never understood why anyone would ride in an urban setting, commuter bikes maybe, but full on sport bikes absolutely no fun!!

You generally only get killed or injured by being near cars or trucks, as such I pass fairly aggressively (well it may seem aggressive to a car but in reality due to the ability to accelerate very little time is spent in the other lane) to stay as clear as possible. I always wave when someone pulls to the shoulder to let me through (not to be sexist here but I've never once had a female driver do this but guys have done it thousands of times) as it lets me run clear. I don't like when riders act like asshats either, but generally i find properly equipped riders act respectfully ( not so with the squids wearing T-shirts and flip flops!!).

My biggest bug bear are the endless staggered lines of Harley riders going 5 kph under the speed limit, who seem incredibly offended if anyone ever tries to pass!!
Old 09-02-2014, 06:58 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They put a bad name on all riders...The track is cheap and close for them to play.

Call TPS/OPP and report it...enough reports will give them the backing to spend time and $$ on more enforcement as well as education
Old 09-02-2014, 10:01 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I too have seen them as well. I can also hear them on the Gardiner from my place.
Another thing I've seen on the highway are kids in Civics( sometimes 10 cars in a group) cutting in and out of traffic just like the bikes.
I guess I'm showing my age.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:18 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 967 Likes on 465 Posts

I have riden bikes all my life. I never liked riding in big groups, it's easy to get caught up in a frenzy. Add into that young guys with little brains and it's a recipe for disaster.

Last year on the 400 I nearly killed a sport bike rider when he came up on us at over 200 km per hour.

Another group to add into this is almost all pick up truck drivers, why are they such dicks?

So no, it's not just you. This crap is getting worse not better.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

I live about 1km from the 407/401 interchange in the west end. As I lay in bed with the windows open during this time of year - it's a nightly occurrence to hear the sport bikes late at night on the 407 getting into 6th gear and holding the power on and on and on...

Anyone who has ridden a sport bike knows what kinds of speeds they are doing in that gear. Insane.

I've seen the results of bike crashes both at the track and and in my own household. I think the Ministry should make it mandatory to have M2 exit riders attend a session with seasoned bikers who have seen it all and done it all (and survived!) along with an emergency room doctor as part of completing their M2 license.

There is very little chance of survival at speeds over 200kph even without another vehicle involved. Concrete doesn't care.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:55 AM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Another group to add into this is almost all pick up truck drivers, why are they such dicks?
LOL... I ask my friends all the time: Do you have to be an a$$hole to buy an F150, or do you become an a$$hole after you buy an F150?

Of course, there are many respectful pick-up truck drivers... but I hear what you are saying.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:41 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
its the total lack of respect for other drivers on the road.
That is nothing compared to the total number of left lane dreamers on our roads.

Talk about a total lack of respect for other drivers, not knowing the rules of the road and or the law.

Last edited by IXLR8; 09-07-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:25 AM
19VFB19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm a daily cummuter on the 401 and things seem to be getting worse every year.
Yes, there seems to be alot of dumba $$ es out there driving those big pickup trucks.
Left llane dreamers, etc etc.
18 wheelers driving in the left lane.
I love the idiots in the merge lane, even though theres no one behind you, they somehow need to pass you and merge over in front of you right at the end of the merge lane. I 've just started using a dashcam and will be posting "idiot drivers in the GTA" videos on YouTube as soon as I get them.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:04 AM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a safe driver, by no means slow.
Very frustrating when a slow driver ahead thinks that a courteous "flash to pass" is reason for them to hit the brakes to send their message.
What are these people thinking, are they the same ones that freeze in any lane when an emergency vehicle is behind?
Currently being in Europe it's refreshing to see how well traffic moves here, much fewer lights, many more cars and bikes/scooters.
Endangering other drivers, no matter if on a motorcycle or in a car should have much stiffer penalties, our govt doesn't care about safety, proper education and reducing injury/deaths on the road.
They just look for revenue.
They want the big 50km over fines when you're on the 407 with 5 open lanes and no traffic.
Our system needs an overhaul, but there has never been enough Provincial attention or care about safety and real dangers on the road. The proposed increase to $1000 and 3 points for texting is just another sign of boorish law makers. There needs to be a better way.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:26 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IXLR8
That is nothing compared to the total number of left lane dreamers on our roads.

Talk about a total respect for other drivers, not knowing the rules of the road and or the law.
**** just got real!
I have zero problem with bikers. And I don't even ride.

I'm not one for blaming skapegoats when they are generally statistically insignificant meanwhile the vast majority of regular folks can't drive worth beans and are far more unsafe.

A top speed on the 407 at 3am...good. better then than during the day. I enjoy the sounds of the summer
Old 09-07-2014, 12:35 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by breakfast
I'm not one for blaming skapegoats when they are generally statistically insignificant meanwhile the vast majority of regular folks can't drive worth beans and are far more unsafe.
You got that right.

The other day on the radio: distracted drivers are the number-one cause of accidents and fatalities, well ahead of DUI. And those "distracted drivers" are...drumroll....cell phone yappng and texting arseholes.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:54 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Number one distracted driver IMHO are those being chatty with passengers.

Quick Reply: Motorcycles and Hwys in the GTA