Import Canadian car from Montreal to USA

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 04:53 PM
SonnyT
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Import Canadian car from Montreal to USA

Hey guys,
I just bought a car on Ebay and I'm trying to figure out logistics for getting the car from Montreal, Canada to Dallas, Texas, US. Perhaps you guys can offer some insights or answers to these questions:

1. Seller says I have to pay Quebec Sales tax (9.975%) http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/vehicl...tax/index..php
I'll have to pay tax again when I register in Texas DMV. Any way to avoid this double tax?

2. Transport - I'm planning on using these guys
http://uscanadaautotransport.com/
I got a quote of $1,400 + $100 brokerage + 4% duty (all USD).

I've also listed it on UShip, no bidders yet.
Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

3. Title procedures - I'm going to do Paypal over ebay. The US Customs & Border website says that the title needs to be with the car. Seller wants to send me the title (by fedex), have me register with TX DMV, and send him proof so that he can "unregister" the car? Sounds wacky to me, US DMV has a form that frees the seller from all obligations, is there not something similar in Canada? Any alternate suggestions? I read online that it's a little easier to drive it across in person, but that's not gonna work out for me.

BTW, it's not a Porsche, it's a XJ12 with legendary unreliability to offset the clockwork running of my 993

Sonny

BTW, if there's someone in Montreal that can look at the Jag for me before I fork out the cash, I'd much appreciate it.
Thanks
Old 08-06-2014, 05:37 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I do not know how old this car is but if has been winter driven, you should have the car checked very carefully. Montreal uses very much salt on their roads in the winter. This can cause severe rust problems, especially on older cars.

There should not be any sales tax on a car for export. I live in Ottawa, Ontario which is just across the river from Gatineau, Que. If a person buys a car there that will be registered in Ontario, only Ontario taxes are paid. Usually the dealer looks after registering the car in Ontario and purchasing the license plates.

In the case of the car being shipped to the US for export, the dealer should only need the bill of lading from the shipping company to avoid collecting the sales tax.

Like any purchase you should inform yourself about the seller. If you are dealing with a franchised dealer everything should be OK. If not take, special care.

PS On the top of this page you will see english and french. If you click on the french forum you should get more people from Montreal. The english forum that you are on is mostly used by members from Ontario.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:10 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

You shouldn't have to pay provincial taxes as the car is being exported but if you must, there should be a rebate form of some type to get that back.

Quebec doesn't have to disclose accidents to vehicles so be careful.
it would be best to have someone check it out before you wire any money.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:38 PM
SonnyT
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback, Pete and WC11.

I'm buying from an individual, not dealer. I'll move or repost to the French forun as Pete suggested.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:52 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,015 Likes on 722 Posts

yeah be very carefull of any vehicle purchased out of Quebec. Especially a British rust bucket candidate in a place with tons of salt.
i think the sales tax is BS but the Quebec guys will know for sure ..
Old 08-06-2014, 07:54 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

if car is being sold out of country, no tax is to be collected by the seller.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:25 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

The seller is trying you to pay a QC sales tax and then when you send him the paperwork that it was registered in Texas, he'll get a refund of your QC sales tax and probably going to keep it. Just as said above, if the car is leaving the province, there should be any sales tax. Is this a dealer or private seller.

On a side note, a friend of mine sold his excellent condition convertible '89 XJ12, last summer for $12.5K CDN. Car had 52K kilometres.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:30 PM
herve_g
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few months back, a friend of mine was looking at buying a car from Quebec and importing it to Nova Scotia. Same situation as it was from a private seller.

The info we got was that he'd have to pay the Sales tax (it's done at a SAAQ outlet, the tax is not collected by the individual but by a SAAQ agent) and after you register it in your province, you have to ask for a refund.

Maybe that's different if you export out of the country but I'd be very careful. The best thing to do would be to contact the SAAQ directly : http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.php

Btw, I'm in Montreal so I could take a look but I really don't know anything about Jaguars
Old 08-06-2014, 11:17 PM
oups59
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi Sonny,

Concerning the sale tax, here's the info from the Quebec DMV (SAAQ)

Q1: I have sold my vehicle in Québec to a non-resident of Québec. What do I have to do?
A: You have to go to an SAAQ service outlet with the person acquiring your vehicle to transfer the vehicle in the acquirer’s name. This person will not have to pay the registration fees, but will be required to pay administration fees as well as the Québec Sales Tax (QST). He or she may obtain a temporary 4-day registration certificate to get home. The acquirer will receive an Application for a Rebate (or Non-Payment) of the Québec Sales Tax (QST) on a Road VehicleThis link will open a new window. form issued by Revenu Québec. You will be reimbursed for the balance of your registration fees, if applicable.

Just give them a call (http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.php)
Old 08-06-2014, 11:55 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

What happens if the car leaves the province without the tranfer of ownership? My guess is nothing.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:36 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

An individual cannot collect sales tax. He should simply sign off on the registration. A sales agreement and registration is all you will need at the border.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:54 AM
SonnyT
Advanced

Thanks guys, seller has agreed to look into the possibility that non-locals who are outside the Quebec area are exempt. I have Mark from rennlist going over to eyeball the car. Seller's concern is with his liability if I use the car for a bank robbery, and I've advised him to look into the Candaian equivalent of "notification of transfer" from used by the Texas DMV.

Everything's looking good so far, we'll see.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:16 PM
BeachBoy
Racer

Sorry I'm late to reply but I have sold my car to an american and that SAAQ thing is BS to have the govt get more money.

You just export it and let the buyer pay his taxes on registration. In my case I let the new owner drive the car from Vermont to MD where he lived. I guess the buyer could do the border crossing but I did it myself and met the buyer further south. It was easy-breezy.

I sold my car and then advised the SAAQ it was sold outside providing a copy of the NEW title (USA) and they refunded my plates for the rest of the year.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:30 PM
BeachBoy
Racer

Just read again a little slower and see you are the American buyer. Either you'll need a broker to cross the border or the seller drives it down (if you can't do it).

You will likely have to pay duties as the car is not manufactured in North America and has never been imported to the USA.

Quick Reply: Import Canadian car from Montreal to USA