Insurance for classic cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 05:59 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by The Stig
Yup. I've had the 19A policy since 2010.
Thanks, I'll call them next week.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:42 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hagerty
Old 03-29-2014, 09:47 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 976 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
I'll be insuring the 928 and the 996 as a classic this year. Does this Canadian company requires a squeeky clean record?
Max 2 of anything. I had 2 tickets and a smash up so they wouldn't take me. I have Hagerty now but will switch to Vintage before my next renewal since my record will be clear of tickets soon, then just my smash up remains.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:16 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

For BC owners:

I just went on Hagerty's website and got a quote for $40,000 agreed value for my 911.

My annual ICBC policy is around $2,000.

How much duplicate coverage is there whereby I can reduce my ICBC coverage?

Anyone use Hagerty in BC?

I'm pretty sure right now if ICBC were to write off my car they would payout less than $20k.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:40 AM
Livio928
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just slays me... How do they expect to raise their rates by 40%! and expect to get away with it??? I wish I could raise my rates by 40% in a year. If I did, I would be shuttering my shop in 6 months.

Absolutely incredible.

I dealth with Lant for 10 years and was happy, although I never had a claim. Now that they have been sold to an American outfit, all the profits head south and we are such a small market that they don't care if they **** us off.

My consipiracy theory side thinks this is just a ploy to corner the vintage car market and charge whatever they want for huge profits.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:34 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

I investigated all these plans and all of them had driving restrictions as in how much and when and where you drive - all of them. So my question is this: are people fudging the driving data to these companies on the use of your cars as I wasn't prepared to be dictated as to how I use my car. If I want to drive to Mosport tomorrow or to Square One the next day - I'm going to do it. Basically you can't get something for nothing. A company isn't going to suddenly reduce my insurance from $100 a month to $30 just because my car is older - something has to change to make it worth while for THEM. That change has to be reduced risk and this must be twined with your use of the car. I wasn't prepared to lie about the use or be dictated to. I'm fine with my policy and my use of the car.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:51 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

one big advantage with these policies is the 19a. Insuarance companies don't like to pay out market value on a 911 without a long fight. with the 19a if car is written off (accident or theft) they just cut you a cheque for the agreed value.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:54 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 451 Posts

Ran the numbers with both today...vintage $886; hagerty $1336
Old 03-30-2014, 09:01 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turbodan
one big advantage with these policies is the 19a. Insuarance companies don't like to pay out market value on a 911 without a long fight. with the 19a if car is written off (accident or theft) they just cut you a cheque for the agreed value.
With an early 996 - agreed value is pretty much market value so its a moot point or advantage. Seems like these policy's work for a 356, 911 or 993. It will be 75 years before a 996 increases in value.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by The Stig
Yup. I've had the 19A policy since 2010.
I've called State Farm and accordig to the lady I talked to what they can offer is a very limited mileage policy for vintage cars that only allow to drive to car shows and parades. Is this what you have? I asked her if 19a meant anything or agreed value and she said it was the car show policy seems extremly limited since she said I would have to show them the odometer once a year to keep a policy like that.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Imo000
I've called State Farm and accordig to the lady I talked to what they can offer is a very limited mileage policy for vintage cars that only allow to drive to car shows and parades. Is this what you have? I asked her if 19a meant anything or agreed value and she said it was the car show policy seems extremly limited since she said I would have to show them the odometer once a year to keep a policy like that.
This is what I was talking about. I got the same Spanish Inquisition as well. Basically it was like, 'what shows will you be going to'? I'm like what shows? What do you think, like I'm driving the car three times a year or something and that's it? Shes says well..., yes.

So when I researched these plans, 19A - 'classic' - whatever you call them; I find that these plans don't cover general use. None of them. Now I know someone who has one of these so called silver wheels plans and he uses his car as much as I do in the summer.

So I think the disconnect here is what you are 'supposed' to be doing as far as use of the vehicle and what is actually happening...
Old 04-01-2014, 09:42 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Though people say Hagerty is more expensive, my plan has the 19a clause and there is no milage limit on use. It allows me to drive it to shows, ice cream, corner store, weekend drives, etc though it states it should not be the daily driver. At least this is my interpretation.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

I just received my Hagerty ins renewal in the mail yesterday and my premium on the 993 went down $48.00 a year! Agreed value amount did not change. A nice surprise for once.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:04 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 241 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by hopeforcash
Though people say Hagerty is more expensive, my plan has the 19a clause and there is no milage limit on use. It allows me to drive it to shows, ice cream, corner store, weekend drives, etc though it states it should not be the daily driver. At least this is my interpretation.
As I recall from reading my Hagerty sourced 19a policy last year, there is no mileage or usage limit other than no business use, no vacations without written consent and no shopping centre parking lots unless it's a car meet. A huge agreed value increase to cover appreciation was very reasonable and did not require a new appraisal. Last spring Vintage auto was not able to come close to Hagerty's low rates because they had a comparatively low maximum deductible. We'll see how things this spring.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:50 PM
Donster
Pro

Originally Posted by canuck964
For BC owners:

I just went on Hagerty's website and got a quote for $40,000 agreed value for my 911.

My annual ICBC policy is around $2,000.

How much duplicate coverage is there whereby I can reduce my ICBC coverage?

Anyone use Hagerty in BC?

I'm pretty sure right now if ICBC were to write off my car they would payout less than $20k.
I had a conversation with my ICBC broker last week on this subject. I was assured that my car is insured for its current replacement value. That figure is determined by a survey of similar cars on the market at the time yours is written off.
Personally, I didn't find that as reassuring as I might have, because my confidence that ICBC would actually pay me full market value without a fight is zero. I'm cynical enough to picture them cherrypicking a couple of high mileage dogs for comparison and then paying me out $35K for my 993. What it means is that you need good documentation of the cost of any upgrades that have been done to your car, and a professional estimate of its value every couple of years as it appreciates might be a good investment. You also need to be prepared for a legal dispute if necessary. I've personally had 2 disputes with ICBC over perfectly valid claims which they initially refused to pay but they quickly paid out under threat of legal action.

Quick Reply: Insurance for classic cars