Notices

Macan

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:40 AM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna have a good look in a few years at a used one when I replace either of our daily drivers.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:10 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 389 Likes on 166 Posts

Isn't it pricey?
Old 02-17-2014, 10:21 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Isn't it pricey?
Lol it's a p-car, the Chanel of automobiles so I'm going to have to say yes.

In Canada it'll start about mid 50s. New or used it's out of my grasp!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:26 AM
REDTURBO
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked the Macan, just a smaller version of the Cayenne. A little pricey but hey, it's a Porsche right.

I'm really digging the new Lexus front end, both the IS and SUV.
Mazda has done well with their new revised line ups.....

Infinity is just not doing it for me anymore. My wife was in love with the G35 years ago....but now I just don't like the newer lines of that car or really any of the Inifity's anymore. But Vettel's F1 car was a treat to see. What a difference between last years F1 cars and this years...Much smaller rear wing and big front wing as the new F1 engines are now V6 Turbos.

To be honest, if it wasn't for the crowds you can almost sit in any vehicle you want other than the really high end sports cars ie. Ferrari/Lambo/Porsche/Aston Martin, etc.
But all the higher luxury MB/BMW/Maseratis were all open for the public to sit in and observe....
Old 02-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Syd B.
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
funny, i was going to say its a great looking car except for the taillights, i think the current gen. cayenne is the sexiest suv on the market.
Check out the Jaguar C-X17, expected to go on sale later this year. Saw it at the Toronto Auto Show and it is, in a word, spectacular. I've never seen a more beautiful interior.
Attached Images  
Old 02-17-2014, 11:09 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 451 Posts

I agree, the C17 was gorgeous and the new F-type was one of my favorite cars of the show.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:10 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Isn't it pricey?
Depends on how you look at it...

$82,200 for a Macan Turbo with PDK, AWD, 6-piston front brakes and 400hp.

$126,245 for a 4S with PDK, AWD, 6-piston front brakes and 400hp...

When you think about it why's the smaller car with fewer parts, less materials and less utility more money? And don't tell me a 911 is inherently worth more. From a manufacturing and design standpoint it's simply not as good value.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:32 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed - technology wise the pricing doesn't make sense. Perhaps they figure they will make it up on volume.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:46 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

i get what you are saying, but don't forget to account for the performance differences due to the less obvious advantages; ie.

- 1000 lbs less weight
- lower center of gravity
- a rear mounted engine layout
- perhaps more aluminum exterior panels/chassis
- testing/usage differences between the 2 cars (who knows how many more/less hours porsche spends on testing each car for their intended usage)

im not saying that it costs porsche more to develop/manufacture these differences (nor have i done any research), but i think its akin to the price difference of a luxury home near the heart of downtown in a world class city vs the exact same home 30km away in the suburbs. its hard to put a price on the value of fundamental design differences in itself.

if we only purchased based upon brochure performance value/dollar specs im guessing many more of us would be flocking to chevy corvettes.

now personally for my needs in an suv, it's pricey. but for many others it could be a steal.

Originally Posted by SharpMan
Depends on how you look at it...

$82,200 for a Macan Turbo with PDK, AWD, 6-piston front brakes and 400hp.

$126,245 for a 4S with PDK, AWD, 6-piston front brakes and 400hp...

When you think about it why's the smaller car with fewer parts, less materials and less utility more money? And don't tell me a 911 is inherently worth more. From a manufacturing and design standpoint it's simply not as good value.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:55 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

thank you syd, ill check it out next weekend!

Originally Posted by Syd B.
Check out the Jaguar C-X17, expected to go on sale later this year. Saw it at the Toronto Auto Show and it is, in a word, spectacular. I've never seen a more beautiful interior.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:38 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

I agree 100%.

Makes for an interesting conversation.

Originally Posted by myw
i get what you are saying, but don't forget to account for the performance differences due to the less obvious advantages; ie.

- 1000 lbs less weight
- lower center of gravity
- a rear mounted engine layout
- perhaps more aluminum exterior panels/chassis
- testing/usage differences between the 2 cars (who knows how many more/less hours porsche spends on testing each car for their intended usage)

im not saying that it costs porsche more to develop/manufacture these differences (nor have i done any research), but i think its akin to the price difference of a luxury home near the heart of downtown in a world class city vs the exact same home 30km away in the suburbs. its hard to put a price on the value of fundamental design differences in itself.

if we only purchased based upon brochure performance value/dollar specs im guessing many more of us would be flocking to chevy corvettes.

now personally for my needs in an suv, it's pricey. but for many others it could be a steal.

Quick Reply: Macan