Notices

Canadian Economy Slowing

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 11:22 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

IMO they can't survive, it's extremely tight. The odds of 2 avg CDn earners making a household combined income of 80k buying an avg-price home in Toronto of 550-570k is impossible.

Since graduating about 10 years ago I've seen all major items double (homes have doubled, gasoline practically tripled, new cars IMO cost 20% more). yet when when I talk to my younger graduating cousins trying get full time jobs, starting salaries are exactly what they were 10 years ago.

Originally Posted by Quest911
How can an average Canadian making 38k make it in our ever rising expenses? I know that in the last 10 years in the current building my business is in our expenses have more than doubled. In 2004 my Hydro One bill averaged $ 300-350 per month.....now it is 750-800 and we have the same electrical usage. Enbridge is the same, gasoline for vehicles etc. Every expense just keeps going up and up. I don't know how 2 people making 38k can afford to have a house, vehicles etc. I am fortunate to live in a community where the house prices are not out this world (average house 250k) my house I paid off in 2010. Most of my vehicles are paid off (I have 4) and I don't make as much money as I did in pre2007 but it is penny pinching time for my family as well. I have my oldest son going to University in Sept
Old 02-13-2014, 11:32 AM
Quest911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
IMO they can't survive, it's extremely tight. The odds of 2 avg CDn earners making a household combined income of 80k buying an avg-price home in Toronto of 550-570k is impossible.

Since graduating about 10 years ago I've seen all major items double (homes have doubled, gasoline practically tripled, new cars IMO cost 20% more). yet when when I talk to my younger graduating cousins trying get full time jobs, starting salaries are exactly what they were 10 years ago.
I agree, also the education system is informing the young graduates that they will be making these huge salaries.....just not available to them as graduates. Of course that depends on the field they are going into. For the norm, most graduates are not offered a 40k job coming out of University. It is a struggle for them when the jobs are in the bigger more expensive cities to live.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:48 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jcb928
http://www.scmp.com/news/world/artic...=breaking_news

Canada’s government has announced that it is scrapping its controversial investor visa scheme, which has allowed waves of rich Hongkongers and mainland Chinese to immigrate since 1986.

The surprise announcement was made in Finance Minister Jim Flaherty’s budget, which was delivered to parliament in Ottawa on Tuesday afternoon local time. Tens of thousands of Chinese millionaires in the queue will reportedly have their applications scrapped and their application fees returned.

The decision came less than a week after the South China Morning Post published a series of investigative reports into the controversial 28-year-old scheme.

The Post revealed how the scheme spun out of control when Canada’s Hong Kong consulate was overwhelmed by a massive influx of applications from mainland millionaires. Applications to the scheme were frozen in 2012 as a result, as immigration staff struggled to clear the backlog.

“In recent years, significant progress has been made to better align the immigration system with Canada’s economic needs. The current immigrant investor program stands out as an exception to this success,” Flaherty’s budget papers said.

“For decades, it has significantly undervalued Canadian permanent residence, providing a pathway to Canadian citizenship in exchange for a guaranteed loan that is significantly less than our peer countries require,” it read.

Under the scheme, would-be migrants worth a minimum of C$1.6 million (HK$11.3 million) loaned the government C$800,000 interest free for a period of five years. The simplicity and low relative cost of the risk-free scheme made it the world’s most popular wealth migration program.

A parallel investor migration scheme run by Quebec still remains open. Many Chinese migrants use the alternative scheme to get into Canada via the French-speaking province and then move elsewhere in Canada. The federal government has previously pledged to crack down on what it said was a fraudulent practice.

Flaherty also announced yesterday the scrapping of a smaller economic migration scheme for entrepreneurs.

All told, 59,000 investor applicants and 7,000 entrepreneurs will have their applications returned, Postmedia News reported. Seventy per cent of the backlog, as of last January, was Chinese, suggesting more than 46,000 mainlanders will be affected by yesterday’s announcements.

The Immigrant Investor Program, which has brought about 185,000 migrants to Canada, was instrumental in facilitating an exodus of rich Hongkongers in the wake of the 1989 Tiananmen massacre and in the run-up to the handover. More than 30,000 Hongkongers immigrated using the scheme, though SAR applications have dwindled since 1997.
This will have a significant impact on the price of real estate in Vancouver. I am not a real estate expert by any stretch but even if 50% of the 59,000 applicants would have come to Vancouver and on average they would have purchase a $2M house that is $59,000,000,000 (yes 9 zeros) worth of real estate.

Even the loss of the guaranteed loans will have an impact on the Canadian economy. $800,000 * 59,000 = $47,200,000,000 !!!!!!!

Quebec stands to gain a fortune in both guarantee loans and increase in housing demand.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:58 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by myw

This is pretty much bang on. I can only speak from experience living in the City of Toronto, but my house has doubled in price from when I bought it in 2003. It was a big purchase when I bought it back then, but if I had to buy it again today at its current "value", and I was a 4th year lawyer as I was in 2003, no chance. Salaries for associate lawyers have not gone up in at least 10 years. Sure, while a first year lawyer at a big downtown Toronto law firm is making close to six figures, that salary is the same now as it was in 2002. Junior associates in my firm who are making a relatively good living and don't yet have kids are still having a tough time buying a house and if they can buy one, the mortgage they need to get is stomach churning. And lots of my colleagues have a spouse who is working and who is also making a good salary. Between the two of them, they are close to the top 1% and finding it very difficult to afford a single detached house.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:28 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

thank you sir, but its merely the classic 'millionaire next door' auto approach (best used book i ever bought from ebay goodwill store !!).

my glorified toyotas were same total cost of ownership (and usage with warranty) of a brand new crv + civic (i hunt for 2/3 year used with < ~40k km).

i take the the 50% money savings and immediately (painfully) dump it straight into the lump-sum mortgage, renos. etc etc

without any shame, i proudly admit that i could never afford the equity loss on a brand new car.

Originally Posted by canuck964
Correct (man do I come across so obvious that I am a bean counter) except for the accounting fee approaching or exceeding what the 'average' Canadian makes. That's not a reality in Canada. Now in the US professional fees much higher (better) there.

myw - That's a nice collection of cars. I'm guessing you are doing ok. And I do know that the stated median Canadian family income is at around $70k but while I am definitely not even close to being a high income earner or wealthy, I do cater to a bunch of above average income earning Canadians. In fact the majority of my clients are in Palm Springs or Hawaii right now. They enjoy calling me from the golf courses there to inquire as to how the weather is back in Canada. I charge extra for those calls. I know I wont get any sympathy here but it is my opinion that the professional class in Canada is losing ground.

Again sorry I am taking this discussion away from the economic situation of the average Canadian.

Last edited by myw; 02-13-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:40 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

i've seen/experienced the exact same thing and agree completely.

the other MAJOR issue is that i am seeing is the unrealistic earnings expectations (and lack of basic financial sense) of those at the age that are entering the workforce for the first time. its staggering how much of a wakeup call it's going to be re trying to build a life compared to what their parents have/own.

k. going to retire from this thread for a bit, my apologies for derailing this awesome thread.

Originally Posted by moab
This is pretty much bang on. I can only speak from experience living in the City of Toronto, but my house has doubled in price from when I bought it in 2003. It was a big purchase when I bought it back then, but if I had to buy it again today at its current "value", and I was a 4th year lawyer as I was in 2003, no chance. Salaries for associate lawyers have not gone up in at least 10 years. Sure, while a first year lawyer at a big downtown Toronto law firm is making close to six figures, that salary is the same now as it was in 2002. Junior associates in my firm who are making a relatively good living and don't yet have kids are still having a tough time buying a house and if they can buy one, the mortgage they need to get is stomach churning. And lots of my colleagues have a spouse who is working and who is also making a good salary. Between the two of them, they are close to the top 1% and finding it very difficult to afford a single detached house.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

How do you spell Hennan-Blaikie?
Old 02-13-2014, 03:04 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

House prices have gotten ridiculous but so are all the pricing that goes to build them and workers are getting paid a lot to build them. I don't think that they will never go down. People thinking there will be a crash are wrong. They will only continue to go up and I believe we will see multi-generation mortgages here one day.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:18 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
How do you spell Hennan-Blaikie?
F I N I T O.

It is actually pretty sad. I share the same elevator bank as them and the support staff are really taking it hard.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:42 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

i sure hope not. thats too crazy imo and definately not sustainable by anyone born and bred (and trying to make it) in cdn society.

Originally Posted by jumper5836
They will only continue to go up and I believe we will see multi-generation mortgages here one day.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:44 PM
Saturn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meanwhile in Grand Touring they sold 2 Aventadors, 4 Gallardos, 2 Bentleys, 3 Aston Martins and ordered 12 new unreleased Lamborghini Huracans (260k-325k+ a pop)in the past 3 weeks.
- no joke

Saturn
http://www.flickr.com/photos/saturnsdrives/sets - Photo links to all the events for 2013
http://vimeo.com/saturnsdrives/videos - Video links to events for 2013
Old 02-13-2014, 11:38 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
F I N I T O.

It is actually pretty sad. I share the same elevator bank as them and the support staff are really taking it hard.
Heenan Blaikie is the first but there will be more. The traditional partnership model is destined for collapse as the savy legal service consumers start to balk at $500+ per hour.

I know many many companies who offer up a package price they are willing to pay take it or leave it and the work is always snapped up. There are many talented hungry lawyers out there desperate for the work and ready to compete against the big boys. I have heard of some hourly rates approaching over $900 per hour - sorry mr lawyer but you are not a brain surgeon!
Old 02-14-2014, 12:48 AM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 388 Likes on 165 Posts

Scary thread...
Old 02-14-2014, 01:18 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely the wave to ride from here on.
The firm I choose to use in employer/labour law is cost conscious but charges $700 an hour. Avoiding unnecessary costs definitely lower's the price for services rendered.
Bottom line; Spend money wisely with good council.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:51 AM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts

As a 30 year old professional who just finished school less than 2 years ago all of you have rather thoroughly scared the bejeezus out of me with this thread. I thought I was making good money but now I feel like I'm not. oh man.

Quick Reply: Canadian Economy Slowing