Notices

Go Pro Camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Ildi
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Class VI for how much it sells your shop ?
Torontoworker did you buy it on e-bay? I checked it out and they are all from China so I am kind of sceptical.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Radcap
Rennlist Member

I have the Black with a ton of different mounts. I have used it extensivly on both the 911 and the 442 as well as the boat and my bike. Really fun, wicked quality. The black is good as it has the remote.....needed. I also got the video back as it makes it easier to use as a hand held....have fun!!!!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ildi
Torontoworker did you buy it on e-bay? I checked it out and they are all from China so I am kind of sceptical.
Yes off eBay. I like experimenting. I bought one the year before that wasn't as good. The GoPro's I think are over priced for what they do and what they don't do. The whole industry is catching up with this firm - they remind me of BOSE stereo's... The original app was fine - just about 100% market penetration for mountain bike and skiers. But as a car cam - there are so many other considerations besides just being tiny. I hate the fact they are battery powered. Yeah, I get why they are (helmet/handle bar mounted) but it's a limiting factor for other uses. The powered up devices can also be used as a security cam with motion detection recording. The Formula Ford drivers love Go Pro's because of their small shape. I used to pick up quite a few off the track after races and practices in the grass until CASC mandated a hard fixed mounting. It got so bad around 2011 that we used to call it the GoPro walk when we would be asked over the net to go look for them after the drivers noticed them missing from the car Suction cup's are useless over 150kph. You get away with it for a short time until the sunlight warms up the rubber mount and then away they go. A lot of the new DVRs have in addition to GPS, they have mapping that can show your route while the video is playing as it was taking the GPS data and twinning it to the video images. I didn't use that as it didn't work so well and besides - I knew where I was anyway. The speed data in the bottom left corner was taken from the GPS - I noticed a delay of around five seconds before it would stabilize. So the speed you see while accelerating or decelerating is always five seconds late unless your at a steady state speed. You have to beware of self conviction for speeding in any other place then Germany when the speed data is right on the video!

But for the cost of a tank of gas? It was worth it. If you spend more money you can get options of remote mic's which may solve the problem of cabin droning. I'd have liked to have put the mic in the back to capture more engine noise and less wind noise myself - but this unit didn't offer a mic input. Someday soon well see forward mounted cameras on cars that record and send the video data to your cars hard drive with a USB output or Bluetooth output mode to other storage devices.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Radcap
Rennlist Member

I agree for the most part about the race cars and the suction cup, but, most people use these for a variety of applications and I have found that the GoPro has lived up to anything I have thrown at it so far. From driving in heavy traffic in town and on the hi-way to twisty roads and mountain passes to fairly rough water and the boat. For the ease of use and the ability to deal with the footage after and cost, I have not seen anything close....I am sure there is something coming as there always is

Rod,
Old 12-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Class VI
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ildi
We put them out at whatever price the Big Box stores are at. I'll send you a PM
Old 12-26-2013, 03:23 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pulled the trigger on the black 3 @ $299. Already have the 2 with more extra fittings than I can use on a regular basis. Like the WIFI remote. It's always been a pain to make adjustments off the track with the 2.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:59 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Just for your reference this video was a mix of forward views taken on an iPhone running Harry's lap timer and video forward and clipped to the go pro 2 looking back.

https://vimeo.com/74688345

The difference in video quality and sound made me look for another go pro.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:08 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Apology's; I should been clear that down loads are down graded for the time limit on vimeo. What's clear is that the degraded video shows the iPhone and go pro to be on different levels.

This one is just fwd on the phone. The difference from the file to posted is huge. I'm a bigger fan of go pro!

https://vimeo.com/79285287
Old 01-19-2014, 09:36 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

OT; high jacked thread! Just too much fun without a car.

http://gopro.com/videos/snow/gopro-b...-speed-flying/

Quick Reply: Go Pro Camera