Notices

What the new insurance black boxes record..

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 01:04 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by adrian_jaye
in the UK, speed cameras and intersections ACTUALLY increased accidents, because people slammed there brakes on

The only traffic cameras I think are great are STOP light/Red light cameras

you jump them you deserve everything you get !
Stoplight cameras increase accidents, too. In practice, what has happened is that shortly after they are installed, the incidence of people running red lights drops to near-zero. Since the manufacturers are generally paid with a percentage of the ticket revenue generated, they will generally shorten the yellow timing to generate more tickets. Once this starts happening, people start slamming on their brakes when the yellow comes on, resulting in rear-end collisions.

Don't believe me? Do a websearch - in most places where stoplight cameras have been installed, the collision rate at the intersection actually goes up, not down.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:15 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the UK, the stop light ONLY comes on, when it is red and for a certain time,

in other words, you HAVE jumped a red light not a amber or just turned red.

I think (here as well as UK) you should be approaching traffic lights with caution becuase they could change right,

Amber doesnt mean put your foot down, it means get ready to stop

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
Stoplight cameras increase accidents, too. In practice, what has happened is that shortly after they are installed, the incidence of people running red lights drops to near-zero. Since the manufacturers are generally paid with a percentage of the ticket revenue generated, they will generally shorten the yellow timing to generate more tickets. Once this starts happening, people start slamming on their brakes when the yellow comes on, resulting in rear-end collisions.

Don't believe me? Do a websearch - in most places where stoplight cameras have been installed, the collision rate at the intersection actually goes up, not down.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:21 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by adrian_jaye
in the UK, the stop light ONLY comes on, when it is red and for a certain time,

in other words, you HAVE jumped a red light not a amber or just turned red.

I think (here as well as UK) you should be approaching traffic lights with caution becuase they could change right,

Amber doesnt mean put your foot down, it means get ready to stop
1) In the US, the traffic cameras are set to immediately snap a photo any time a vehicle crosses the intersection entry and the light is read.

2) You're not thinking this through. If the street is 45 MPH and the yellow is shortened to less than 2 seconds, you can't safely come to a stop if you're relatively close to the intersection. That's what causes the rear-end collisions - the necessity to lock up the brakes to stop to avoid a ticket.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64

Not true on all three highlighted statements. And I did do a web search - for Ontario - it simply isn't true.

I don't know what jurisdictions your talking about but for example: Peel Region have several (50+) and one of them isn't too far from me at Winston Churchill & Derry Rd. The length of yellow hasn't been shortened in my opinion and I've traveled through here for years before and after installation. The cameras are under a separate maintenance contract - Taffipax Inc. They have no access to the computer server which controls the lights in Peel Region. Accidents are down 18.2% at these locations. Report is here: http://www.peelregion.ca/council/age...port-pw-b3.pdf

Other Ontario Municipalities have experienced pretty much the same decline as per their reports to councils which are accessible online if any cares to check. In fact in the financial reports to York council they are hoping to pool the red light ticket processing with other Municipalities in order to offset expenses. Currently the locations with cameras are having LESS accidents and less tickets generated! Guess those warning signs work!

All of these companies - another is ACS Ltd, which has other Municipalities under contract such as Hamilton/Wentworth - do NOT receive ANY funding based upon tickets issued or pictures taken. It's actually against the amended Act that was passed in 2007 to allow these Municipalities and their agents control over the equipment in this manner. You can even view the traffic company invoices to the traffic services of these Municipalities in the documentation to their councils when the programs come up for renewals and the report is tabled.

I have no issue with red light camera's - we all know where the brake pedal is and where the speedo is located. Pretty much most of our fatalities occur at controlled intersections.

The thing is - it's not like they are speed traps with some cop hiding in bushes with a radar gun meters from a road where the speed limit suddenly drops for some stupid reason. These camera's are in fixed locations with signage. Not paying attention isn't an excuse.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:42 PM
BT ZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm told in model year 15 the new S class will be fitted with one. Not sure about their other models.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:43 PM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

thanks TW thats sounds what I would have expected

fullthrottle;
not sure about can/us but uk is worked out that if you get a ticket you really did cross a HARD red.

not just a amber, starting red

but the lights are designed that there is some time which elapses beofre the opposing road gets a green,

so really you should be able to stop, AS long as you where 1< paying attention 2> keeping to the speed of the road (in the UK 10%+3 over the speed limit)
Old 11-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I shake my head often when driving at how late many people go through red lights in this city. IMO this is extremely dangerous and always scan the intersection closely before proceeding when stopped and light turns green....about 25 years ago I was stopped at a red light the light changed to green and the car beside me went and a mac truck was running the red and the drivers side got hit hard...thank god she was in a volvo as the police said any japanese car and she would have died, she broke some ribs and arm and was unconcious. very sad but great way to learn a lesson for me to see.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:29 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Back to black boxes.

I am really afraid my days of driving will soon be over.

Within 5 years I predict that while insurance companies may not be able to demand all drivers to install one of these in their cars they can make the cost of insurance so high for those who do not install them (as in 3 to 5 times what we would pay now) that we will all need to install one just to get insurance.

Frankly I wish I could line up all the insurance executives and put a bullet in their heads but that will only occur in my dreams.

The reality is that I know in my 40 years of driving I have never driven once where I did not break the law at some point.

Think about every trip you make. Can any one of us honestly say they have not broken one law during the course of any trip.

I am usually over the speed limit as soon as I get out of my drive way.

So based on that fact my cost of insurance will likely go up really high even though I (knock on wood) have not been in an at fault accident over the last 20 years.

Here with our public ICBC I get the maximum discount available but that is because the discount is based on years of no fault accidents.

If they convert over to giving discounts based on driving within the speed limits then I may as well bend over and take it up the ***.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:43 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

I'm moving to North Ontario, home of the freebee.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:57 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

I want to go back home (plus I'd get to drive on the correct side of the road, maunal)

£400/year 5000miles policy, garaged 944 cab (and not in the greatest of area's)

vs

$280/month 11 year old POS 3rd party cover (multi car discount)

Originally Posted by JimV8
I'm moving to North Ontario, home of the freebee.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:57 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

If you don't want it installed in the car, the question will be asked "what are you trying to hide?" Honest people with nothing to hide are ok with it why not you? (conform or be cast out..sorry for the Rush quote)
Old 11-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

That's the real issue. The laughable promise of the Ontario government to reduce premiums is hollow. If this becomes the norm to get insurance, its the end of the line for sports cars except for those who want to do 15MPH laps in Yorkville.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:44 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

If the have the ability to track all this then why don't they just install a limiter on every car and enforce the speed limits posted by where you are located. Eliminate speeding for good.
If you have to speed for emergency call 911 and they deactivate your limiter and direct you safely to the best care center.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:18 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

There will not be any discounts for staying within the guidelines they make up.
If you go outside them they will charge you. Simple as that.
Always been that way.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

why not just put a tracking/monitoring device inplanted in your body?
this type of thing will not fly while firearms are still circulationg.

Quick Reply: What the new insurance black boxes record..