Inehrited car and e-test help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Default Inehrited car and e-test help.

A good friend of mine is trying to sell his deceased father’s car. The problem he is running into is that the car was sitting for a few months and the emission system went out of readiness. Of course now it failed the e-test. Driving it a few days will resolve this issue and here is where I’m looking for some advice. Can he, as the executer of the estate, get a temporary sticker for this car, without having to transfer the ownership? Also, can he get insurance on it if it is not on his name. The car is sold, he has a deposit on it but the condition is that it will have a valid e-test and a safety. The safety is a noon issue.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

Asked my wife an estates lawyer the question above. Her response: as the listed executor in the will via the certificate of appt you should be able to purchase a sticker at the ministry with proof of this fact in hand. Really depends on who you get behind the counter but it's worth the shot. The story is that you are selling the car as the executor and need to drive it to mechanics etc for safety and e-test to complete the sale, you will need the uvip as well. Telling them you are the executor should handle the insurance issue need as well.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:15 PM
colombiano
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unsure if this will help, I'll share just in case.

I ran into problems with my car passing emissions do to some of the systems not getting to the readiness stage, do to not enough driving. The drive cycle below was meant for BMW but worked well on my 997. I bought a odbII reader so that I can see when I can see the progress on the readiness of the systems.

I tested it on my own vehicle and it was a bit of a pain to follow it on the road but I found out I didn't have to do all the tests at once. I was able to get all my systems to be ready except for evap. The Instructions are below.

1) Start cold engine and idle for approximately 2 minutes, 10 seconds. This checks secondary air injection and evaporative leak detection systems.

2) Accelerate to 20-30 MPH and maintain steady speed for 3 minutes, 15 seconds. This establishes closed loop oxy-sensor operations, response times & switching times.

3) Accelerate to 40-60 MPH and maintain steady speed for 15-20 minutes. This evaluates catalytic converters while oxy-sensor response and switching times are checked.

4) De-accelerate and come to a stop. Idle in gear for 5-6 minutes. This checks evaporative leak detection system.

Remember:
The diagnostic checks above will be discontinued if:
1) Engine speeds exceed 3000 RPM
2) Large fluctuations in throttle position
3) Road speeds exceed 60 MPH
Old 10-02-2013, 11:40 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Thanks for all the help. We ended up driving it as is at night, between Cambridge and Woodstock, on cruise control to get the system to be ready. All but the evap was ready. Since one not ready was allowed, it passed.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:44 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

what year was the car Imre ? 2001 ?
Old 10-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

2006 Pontiac Torrent.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:51 PM
colombiano
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you got it to pass!

Quick Reply: Inehrited car and e-test help.