Notices

Time to bring out of storage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 01:20 PM
tarbender
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mechanic at DFC said not to undercoat the car. No need since galvanized steel and it makes such a mess. My car is certainly not as clean as others I have seen on the list but I agree with previous poster. Its just a car and no point storing it 50% of the time. Though I only drive when roads are clear in the winter. Will definitely be taking her out on Saturday.
I use the Battery Tender Plus to keep the battery charged if I know I am not driving more than a week. I got the cigarette adpater for convenience rather than hooking it up directly to battery. No problems.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:00 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by moab
Been driving it all winter except for a brief 4 week period when I thought it was a good idea to store it. It's AWD and it is just a car, so why garage it for 50% of the year?
+1 drove it all winter and last winter
Old 03-07-2013, 02:06 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the original owner drove the car in the winter for at least a couple of years, while most of the fasteners I've worked on have not been too bad, the exhaust tip clamps and related fasteners were completely fused into one rusty lump of metal, took me almost two full nights last summer using every tool and trick I had to get them apart in a non-distructive manner, I used PB Blaster, torch, sledge hammer,500 ft-lb pnuematic impact gun, and a lot of cursing and swearing.

I will blame that on the salt and winter usage.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Xpit77
Racer

Easter to Turkey Day for my old 944
Old 03-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Amalgam
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993GT
I never undercoat any of my cars-nasty muck to deal with when working on anything underneath. Frequent underside washes are key, I've never had a car(Porsche, Volvo, BMW) get 'rusty' on me...that said, especially if you do not do frequent washes, quality(ie. Krown) yearly undercoating will help prevent rust/corrosion
How to do the underside washes on your own driveway? Use a garden hose and spray under the car as much as you can? Can't really see underneath the car much as it has quite a low clearance. I use touch-free car wash at the gas stations for my other cars and it cleans under the car... but with a convertible top, i won't venture into the gas station car washes.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:25 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Insurance back on April 14th and I hope it's a sunny dry day for a long drive.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:28 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 237 Likes on 159 Posts

Whenever the salt is gone.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:18 PM
dbv1
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm not convinced the car is going to rust out during the next 5 or so years that I own it.
You're right, 5 years isn't enough. Your car was the reason I didn't even consider Canadian cars when I bought my C2S (mine is southern US car).

Originally Posted by 993GT
I never undercoat any of my cars-nasty muck to deal with when working on anything underneath.
True, the gunk down there is just nasty. But the payoff is worth it IMO.

I've been advised that it is unnecessary to undercoat modern Porsches. Curious as to other views on this.
Would you consider a 996 turbo modern?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:32 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by dbv1
You're right, 5 years isn't enough. Your car was the reason I didn't even consider Canadian cars when I bought my C2S (mine is southern US car).

True, the gunk down there is just nasty. But the payoff is worth it IMO.

Would you consider a 996 turbo modern?
Yes, I would consider it a modern car. My Porsche service advisor emailed me the following:

"DO NOT undercoat this vehicle. Undercoat an Japanese import or domestic vehicle, but not these. Since 1976 Porsche, who make their own bodies, has used hot-dipped double-sided galvanized steel for 911 bodies. They don’t rust or corrode.

Undercoating is great for some cars, NOT these."

Sure, he could be blowing smoke up my *** but I've always found him to be a straight shooter so I don't really have a reason to doubt him.

I guess it boils down to me trying to maximize my enjoyment with this car. If you get more enjoyment knowing that your Porsche is tucked safely away in a garage during the winter months, then that's cool too.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:58 PM
aviography
Drifting

I suppose another debate is if the car should be on the road again BEFORE I put away the snow blower!

I just might do it even if I have to move the snow blower out of the way before I can drive the P-car out of the garage.

We'll see.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

If you wanted to do a underbody wash in your garage/driveway, could always build a 'spray-log' ie. a copper pipe with many small holes drilled into it and atached to a hose, just wave it around underneath, I normally use the drive-thru NON-TOUCH and FRESH WATER car washes, very low chance of any damage, but will also get underneath the car at home should I know the temperature won't be freezing the next day or two-don't want a wet garage/frozen driveway

Originally Posted by Amalgam
How to do the underside washes on your own driveway? Use a garden hose and spray under the car as much as you can? Can't really see underneath the car much as it has quite a low clearance. I use touch-free car wash at the gas stations for my other cars and it cleans under the car... but with a convertible top, i won't venture into the gas station car washes.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:50 PM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Amalgam
I've heard of folks using a strong garden sprinkler. Rotate it around every 5-10 minutes to get the whole undercarriage done. I haven't tried it but sounds promising.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:59 PM
gtihop
Instructor

Can't bring out any summer cars until the pallet of gyproc is gone from behind them in the garage- which means lots more work to do first!
Old 03-07-2013, 08:28 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by zer026T
I've heard of folks using a strong garden sprinkler. Rotate it around every 5-10 minutes to get the whole undercarriage done. I haven't tried it but sounds promising.
I use one of those hooked wands that are for watering hanging flower baskets.
Just invert it. Works like a charm and you can pick the spray pattern.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 PM
aviography
Drifting

^ Sounds like bidet for Porsches!

Quick Reply: Time to bring out of storage?