And an air filter as well.Non turbo.
PM me
Old 02-01-2013, 05:34 PM
murrayg
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Holy Crap AWP_REP, is this for real:
Attached Images  

Last edited by murrayg; 02-01-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:34 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gord: those aren't OE rotors (I'm sure they're not 90% worse, and they probably fit fine, but the aren't up to the standards of Zimmerman or the better non-Porsche brands).

Also, if you want a screen shot of just a small area, try "command + shift + 4" (your cursor will turn to a little cross-hair, and you can draw a box around just what you want to take a screen shot of.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:41 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 111 Likes on 92 Posts

I've probably ordered a handful of times from APW, and multiple items to get the $75 free shipping, and the orders have always arrived without errors. This has been over the past few years.

Peter
Old 02-01-2013, 10:18 PM
murrayg
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Fixed, Thanks for the screenshot lesson Charlie! I use window boxes but travel with a Mac (and love it!). Lot's of little tips and tricks that I haven't found yet.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Cortellazzi
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just dealt with them , twice and all was perfect.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:54 PM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

They are listing the Winhere front rotors for my car (Turbo S brakes) for $20! Just swap them after every track session! ;-)
Old 02-02-2013, 02:22 AM
holden997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi AWP_REP,

I had purchased a few times from AWP and was very please with my orders. I did receive a wrong part and the refund took a little long (2 months).
Question, why is it your US site has a lot more items and the prices are cheaper than the CAN site? For example, spark plug by Bosch (FGR 5KQE0) cost $11.02 on the US site but listed $13.13 on the CAN site, that is a 19% difference.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 AM
awp_rep
AutoX

murrayg - Are you referring to the pricing? If so, yes, the pricing is correct. The part comes with the same 1 year warranty directly from us as every replacement part we sell, on top of the normal manufacturer warranty. So if anything happens within 1 year under normal use, your replacement is easy and directly through us.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by holden997
Hi AWP_REP,
Question, why is it your US site has a lot more items and the prices are cheaper than the CAN site? For example, spark plug by Bosch (FGR 5KQE0) cost $11.02 on the US site but listed $13.13 on the CAN site, that is a 19% difference.
I don't think you answered his question correctly (or you avoided answering the previous question altogether), he is asking why is there a 19% price difference on the same part on your US website.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:37 AM
awp_rep
AutoX

I answered the question posted by murrayg. I didn't yet get to the question posted by holden997 regarding parts and pricing. It's a long answer and my day off, I want to answer with a lot of detail as possible and I'm just now looking at this stuff on my tablet. I'll answer the question a little later when I get to a computer (easier to type).
Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 695 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Sultan
...why is there a 19% price difference on the same part on your US website.
I don't know. It can't possibly be greed, can it?

Actually 19% isn't bad. My net savings are 43% when buying in the US. Spreadsheets don't lie.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 AM
awp_rep
AutoX

Guys, sorry I couldn't answer sooner. Had some family time over the weekend and one of my kids has the flu so there was really no time for me to get to a computer.

OK, so here goes.

What most people don't realize is that our US website is a completely different company than the CA website. Yes, we are owned by one corporation, but each website is a separate company that operates completely independently. The CA company does not have access to the US company customer info and both have their own management teams. What people think is that we share warehouses and fulfillment centers and inventory and that is simply not true. Each company holds and sources their own inventory and has their own warehouses. We don't share any of this between the companies.

Having said that, I can tell you that the actual margins at which we sell are 11% over cost in the USA and only 5% over cost in Canada. But than you may ask why are Canadian prices higher than USA. Well in most cases they are not and when they are it is only a slight difference. In Canada we try to keep the prices as low as possible. Our business model is to sell in volume and make very little on each sale, but to have lots of sales. Even with the small margin of 5% we still end up with prices higher than in the US in some cases and that has to do a lot with 2 things. Mainly import costs and transport costs.

Imports to Canada always cost more than imports to the USA. If you know anything about importing ( I must admin I'm no expert), but if you have a container of parts coming from Europe or from Asia to the USA and you have the same exact container of parts coming to Canada, it will always cost more because of border and transport fees to get that container into Canada. This is mostly due to the laws of each country, at least I believe that's what the reason is, plus different has prices and transport costs.

So now some people say why not import to the USA and than get them to Canada, and in some cases this is beneficial and what we do, but in many cases it actually increases the cost of the parts even more.

Now for parts manufactured in USA and protected under NAFTA you are still looking additional transport costs that you don't have in the US. For example lets say a part manufactured in the USA costs us $100 to purchase form a supplier. The USA company can add their 11% to the part cost and sell it for $111.

To sell it in Canada we have to get it into Canada. This is just a rough example so don't look at the numbers exactly but let's say due to transport, gas fees it costs us $6 per part to get the part to Canada. So you're looking at a cost of $106 by the time the part comes to our Canadian warehouse. $106 + 5% is a sell price of $111.30. So the part sells for more in Canada, but in reality we make less.

Now as you can see nowhere did I mention the US to CA dollars being on par or not, since none of that matters. CA company does their own purchases and US company does their own purchases, how the CA dollar compares to the US dollar makes no difference.

Lastly shipping costs. I saw a question a few weeks ago about why it costs $20 in Canada to ship a part that costs $3 on our website. Now my reaction to that is, why would a shipping company like UPS care what the value of the item is in a package?

If you purchased from us in the past you know that we ship everything UPS. Now if you go to the UPS website, you will see that on average it costs over $20 to ship any item of 1lb or less anywhere in Canada. Now check USA shipping (USA to USA) and it costs about $10 for the same package of 1lb or less. Shipping costs, just like transport costs are much, much, much more expensive in Canada. We charge a flat $19.99 for any order under $100, which no matter if you buy one spark plug, or heavy rotors, is always below what it actually costs us to ship the part to you.

In fact, our brake even point for the free shipping is $146. So that means any order that we ship out, that is under $146, we actually loose money on. Which is fine, because of our high customer retention rate, we are confident the customer will come back in the future for larger orders where we recoupe our losses and make money.

Lastly there is a rare time when prices in Canada have to be raised to more than 5% over cost and that is due to manufacturer restrictions. For example a manufacturer may have a restriction where their specific part number cannot be sold below a certain price set by that manufacturer. This is actually getting more common but is till rare. Where the manufacturer does have restrictions, the Canada minimum sell price is always higher than the USA price. Please dont' ask why that is, I honestly don't know. Manufacturers set this price to protect their brand, dealers, etc, but why they set the price higher in Canada I don't know.

In the non automotive industry a company you are all familiar with that does this is Apple. Sellers can't sell Apple products below the Apple set price, except for some special sales times as scheduled and permitted by Apple, and the sell price is always a little higher in Canada. iPhone 5 for example being $649 in the US and $699 in Canada. (contract free).

Having said all that, I pulled up 3 parts on the Canadian webstie and compared pricing to USA.

http://www.autopartsway.com/PartDeta...33-1950760/FEQ
USA $112.00
CA: $107.44

http://www.autopartsway.com/PartDeta...3-1623986/PBR/
USA $35.34
CA $37.04

http://www.autopartsway.com/PartDeta...33-1618579/YEC
USA $31.33
CA $22.93

So in reality because of the smaller margins, the price difference between the US and Canada is really not a big issue.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:33 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is unrelated to the examples you give above, but from where do your 'list' prices come?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 AM
awp_rep
AutoX

List price comes from 3 sources:

1. It is either the Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price
2. The official dealer price for that replacement part
3. The average retail price we can find if the above 2 are not available.

Quick Reply: AutoPartsWay is getting sloppy