Notices

Powder coating Toronto -Barrie

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Benny771
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Powder coating Toronto -Barrie

Anyone know of a good place thats not crazy priced to take my 930 fan and shroud ?

Also looking for headers for a 89 930. Mine has a leak and a bend. Thx all.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:43 PM
S98CS
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this guy does coatings if he does not do the powder
I think another company in ERIN does it
http://www.fireballcoatings.com/inde...tpage&Itemid=1
Old 01-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used both Quy's Powdercoating and Metalcoaters (I dealt with Taj) for wheels - both on west end of Toronto (sorry, not Barrie). Metalcoaters was a little less $$. Quys finish and quality is VERY good.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mitch
I've used both Quy's Powdercoating and Metalcoaters (I dealt with Taj) for wheels - both on west end of Toronto (sorry, not Barrie). Metalcoaters was a little less $$. Quys finish and quality is VERY good.
I had all four rims powder coated at Metalcoaters. It was a frustrating experience due to the rims coming up with defects. After two times he had to re-strip the rims and start over. Yes the price was low and the end result was very good but Taj was a little put out that he had to keep doing them over and then had to pay to strip them. Perhaps I was the odd exception and the rims really were 'degassing' as he said. (shrug) It just sucked that it was three days as a promise and it ended up more then a week. Meanwhile my car is up on a hoist (other work being done) at Brent Hunters. Good thing Brent's a nice guy! I must say that the finish inside and out on the rims impressed Brent so that says a lot. $325 for all four with clear coat. They also do chrome which as you know is very hard to find people to do this and who don't charge an arm and a leg. Cash only business I might add.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:07 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

I have NOTHING but GOOD things to say about my experience with Fireball coatings.
They even have a drop-off/pick-up box in toronto if u don't drive out to their location...which you should, because it's right next to forks of the credit, and it's like this hidden Shire of muscle car restoration.

Gonna be taking more stuff to them this year.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:49 AM
DOOBEE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I highly recommend Len at Edge Coatings in Newmarket -- > www.edgecoatings.com. This shop is one of the few that provide professional, quality, custom service rather than mixing your parts into a mass production pc line. I have tried many PC shops and these guys are the very best.

Thumbs down on Fireball for me. Mark destroyed a few custom exhaust parts of mine a few years back and there was plenty of run around on timing too. While I was at the shop another disgruntled customer was pretty upset about a vintage oil tank that they pretty much disintegrated.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Benny771
Racer

Thanks all, have called Fireball coatings. 150 to do the fan and shroud and strap on my 930. Hope they are good.
Still looking for headers for a 89 930. Mine has a leak and a bend. Thx all
Old 01-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Brightside Coating.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Stuttgart Hustle
Intermediate

factory or aftermarket headers?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Benny771
Racer

Im sorta in a bind right now.... I would love to have fabspeed or Rarly's with heat but Factory would do if there is no internal cracks. My exhaust is getting in the car.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:13 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

Ian Robertson found a good spot too , but not sure of the prices though ..
Old 09-05-2013, 02:17 AM
Earl Williams
1st Gear

Powder coating is a type of coating that is applied as a free flowing, dry powder. The main difference between a convention liquid paint and a powder coating is that the powder coating does not require a solvent to keep the binder and filler parts in a liquid suspension form. The coating is typically applied electrostatic ally and is then curd under heat to allow it to flow and form a skin. And there are some various types the polymer granules are mixed with hardener, pigments and other powder ingredients’ in a mixer, the mixture is heated in an extruder, the extruded mixture is rolled flat cooled and broken into small chips.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:54 AM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't wanna hijack this thread but was thinking of power coating / painting a set of C2 OEM wheels next spring. Have read that powder coating compromises the integrity of OEM wheels and could weaken the structure due to the heat that needs to be applied to bake the powder coat. Not sure if that's a factor for what Benny771 is planning on doing.

Thoughts?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:36 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Don't wanna hijack this thread but was thinking of power coating / painting a set of C2 OEM wheels next spring. Have read that powder coating compromises the integrity of OEM wheels and could weaken the structure due to the heat that needs to be applied to bake the powder coat. Not sure if that's a factor for what Benny771 is planning on doing.

Thoughts?
I hit a pothole that was four inches deep that burst my tire. It did nothing to the rim which has been powder coated. Most shops use IR heating, (lower temps). Even the older oven process is way lower then any heat treatment process - many cure at below 300F - some of the newer powders only require 250F for 20mins - 30mins. Many forged wheel rim manufacturers also powder coat their products. I know quite a few Grand Am teams run coated rims as well.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

From what I gather bake temps are no higher that 450F. I've asked numerous engineers at work and they all say that these temps will not affect the integrity of the wheel. I just had my wheels painted at Bast tire and auto in Waterloo and was happy with the results. If any of my wheels grenade I'll post here

Below is a link to a video of the process from bast tire. The 700F that you see in the video is an air dry chamber and not what the wheels are baked at. My wheels were baked at 420F.

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...ight=bast+tire

Quick Reply: Powder coating Toronto -Barrie