Notices

P0740 and P0710 fault codes

Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 PM
2001Porsche911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0740 and P0710 fault codes

Hi everyone,

I just bought a durametric and pulled the fault codes from my tiptronic transmission and I got the following two:

P0740- Solenoid Valve- Torque conv. clutch

P0710 Transmission Temperature Sensor

I just purchased the car and it seems to drive fine, but I want to know how I should figure out what is causing these codes.

I read one of the main causes for P0740 is low ATF, I will be checking that this weekend. Can I assume the fluid is at the correct level if when opening the side screw on the tranny and the fluid drips out? If it does not drip out, how do I know how much fluid to add?

How can I diagnose the code for the temperature sensor?

Thanks for your help, will post pics of the new car shortly! (2001 Lapis Blue 996 C2 with GT3 Aero kit)
Old 01-04-2013, 09:42 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,001 Likes on 710 Posts

i would suggest going to the water cooled area and posting on the model specific forum for these types of issues. I think you will get much more technical information. This forum is more regional and i think very limited technical knowledge on the 996 platform. But if you want to know some shops to take it to we can help
Old 01-04-2013, 06:44 PM
JoeFerg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not too familiar with the auto trans in the 996's or 997's, nor am I familiar with the Durametric software. (We use the Porsche PIWIS tester)

But...any decent scan tool should tell you what the fault is doing to some extent. In the case of the temp sensor fault, is it a short to ground fault? sensor out of range fault? This can make diagnoses much easier. Very rarely have I seen bad wiring in any 996's unless it was a branded title car and a hack *** shop rebuilt a broken wiring harness using butt connectors. The cheapest option is to delete the fault code and see if it comes back after a long drive, if it does return, replace the sensor.

The solinoid valve fault I have no experience with, but if there is a common cause to a fault codes such as low fluid, I'd be looking for ATF oil leaks. Is the bellhousing soaked in oil? If your ATF is low, where is it going?

Now agian, I have no direct experience with the auto trans in the 996's but every automatic trans I've ever worked on needs to be running and up to full operating temp and on a level surface to get an accurate reading.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Beepsters was low due to the leak from the hub seal. It has to be warm and in the temp range in order to read the correct level. Reset it with the Durametric and see if it comes up again.

I would have a shop check it for you as it should be on the hoist to correctly check it. I had the pan removed and each selanoid checked out, new seal put in and refilled with new fluid. The fluid is expensive but well worth it. BTW ... it's a mercedes tranny ... Did this a frinds shop when we installed the bebuilt engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0740 and P0710 fault codes