Notices

singer design porsche in Canada ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Fc6450
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default singer design porsche in Canada ?

Has any Singer Porsche made it into Canada ?

Any problems using a Canadian 964 as base, ship to singer and drive it back into Canada.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Does it get a new VIN? If not, then it's still technically a Porsche, and shouldn't have a problem. If however Singer gives it a new VIN, then they'd have to recognized by by transport Canada to be admissible. And a new VIN might mean it has to go through RIV.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

also technically if you do any work to your car in the US, you are supposed to pay duty on the entire car. Kind of silly but that is the legistlation that exists. so if you take a 50k car to the US and do 5k worth of work you are supposed to pay tax on 55k.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:21 PM
JonasJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tires excluded? I mean If i buy tires maybe even wheels in the us and drive back they cant charge me tax on the whole car!?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Triple_T
Instructor

In some cases goods abroad are exempt from tarrifs and duties.
In most cases GST is all that is needed on the improvement.
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...6-doc-eng.html
Old 12-16-2012, 01:52 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JonasJ
tires excluded? I mean If i buy tires maybe even wheels in the us and drive back they cant charge me tax on the whole car!?
Yes, if you put tires/wheels on a car in the US you can be charged duty/HST or GST on the entire value of the car if they wish. Only "emergency" repairs to get the car home are exempt. The only way around this is to get a permit (good luck with that) ahead of time to have work done. If you have tires/wheels done and don't declare it then if Customs finds out the car can become theirs to sell! CRA does have access to our credit card facilities so if you try it pay with cash in the US.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Fc6450
Intermediate

Doubt if the car will have a new VIN. Problem is if a Canadian 964 driven to USA for conversion and then bring it back to Canada will probably incur huge tax. If you just try to import not sure whether it will pass RIV inspection as car is heavily modified.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Triple_T
Instructor

Lots of interpretation going on here...
Verbatum:
Repairs or alterations to your vehicle/vessel/aircraft
If you intend to have repairs or alterations made to your vehicle/vessel/aircraft outside Canada, check with
the CBSA for information before you leave. Under customs legislation, the CBSA can no longer consider
your vehicle, vessel or aircraft to be Canadian-made if you increase its value, improve its condition or have
it modified outside Canada. As a result, you may have to pay duty and the goods and services tax (GST) or
harmonized sales tax (HST) on the entire value of the vehicle/vessel/aircraft when you bring it back.

Seems like "Increase it's value" is the phrase open to interpretation.
Again, don't **** off that border guard!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:23 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Fc6450
Doubt if the car will have a new VIN. Problem is if a Canadian 964 driven to USA for conversion and then bring it back to Canada will probably incur huge tax. If you just try to import not sure whether it will pass RIV inspection as car is heavily modified.
Does RIV matter if it's more than 15 years old?
Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Fc6450
Intermediate

Can one just buy the car and import it into Canada ? Then how would you describe this car ?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:27 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fc6450
Can one just buy the car and import it into Canada ? Then how would you describe this car ?
Singer keeps the VIN number of the donor car. Given that the 964 is RIV exempt and the car can be considered a restoration, it would be easy to import. I looked into this when I started my restomod research
Old 01-21-2013, 01:19 AM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep and if you're paying $400-500K for a Singer import duties on tires may not be top of mind!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Me&You
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fanny bay r1
Yep and if you're paying $400-500K for a Singer import duties on tires may not be top of mind!!!
+1.

It should be expected that you pay taxes and duty on the cost of any work and mods done outside of Canada (why wouldn't you?). If you're going to drop Singer-money on a 964, the only "extra" you'd be paying tax/duty on is the original value of the 964... The taxes on that ~$25k shouldn't make or break the decision to pull the trigger on a Singer
Old 01-21-2013, 05:06 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 234 Likes on 157 Posts

If the work is done in the US, can it not be brought back duty free under NAFTA? Can US made tires not also be brought back duty free under NAFTA? Also, trade a agreement with EU is apparently about to be signed. Would this not make German cars duty free? Don't know. Just askin'.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
If the work is done in the US, can it not be brought back duty free under NAFTA? Can US made tires not also be brought back duty free under NAFTA? Also, trade a agreement with EU is apparently about to be signed. Would this not make German cars duty free? Don't know. Just askin'.
Because the car retains its VIN, it is still considered a German car and given that the 964 is less than 25 years old, it is not duty exempt, so you would pay HST and 6.1% duties on the car if you brought in an American car.

Now, if you took a Canadian car across the border before you had the work done, you would pay duties only on the purchase price of the imported car. Then if you took the car back across the border after registering it and did the Singer restomod, you would only pay HST on the work performed by Singer. That would save about $10,000-$11,000. I agree with Me&You here. If you're spending Singer type money, then the duties really should be inconsequential.

I haven't seen any of the details about the EU free trade deal, but presumably if it goes through than the duties on EU made cars should disappear (or reduce them from the current percentage).

Quick Reply: singer design porsche in Canada ?