Notices

Jonathon's '82 911 SC Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 03:28 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool, great to hear all the positive feedback guys! Thanks so much. I placed my last couple of orders (I hope) for parts from pelican... Yesterday was the new rocker shaft, hardware, and 24 rsr rocker shaft seals, plus all the rubber oil lines I could find, a fan tool (my car didn't have the tool kit or a manual... wtheck? stupid previous owner...) a shim because the fan pulley only had 5 (need a minimum of 6) a new pressure switch, and some other stuff I forget. I also placed my order which is now ready for pickup from Scott Lyons at German Supply, I have to say he is really great to deal with, nice down-to-earth guy and would recommend him to everyone on this board. He picked up a case of BP 20-50 racing oil for me, along with a case of kendall 80W90 hypoid gear oil, a tube of Curil T sealant, loctite 574 sealant, and some redline assembly lube. I will pick that up after I sleep from my shift today... around 4pm. Also place another order before I came into work for brand new SSI heat exchangers with O2 sensor bungs, the aluminum sump plate kit, and the oring for main shaft seal flange. Turns out my trans was leaking at the oring, not the shaft seal!

Once I get my orders in I will proceed with the rockers and getting the valves adjusted. I final torqued my head studs today, all in good shape and all lowers replaced with regular steel studs approx 6000 miles ago. I also cleaned my oil cooler and determined on my own that it should be fine, so I reinstalled that today as well.

I want to pick up some hi-temp black paint to do my valve covers in, and then a straight sanding block to bring the PORSCHE lettering back to alu, along with the ribs on the turbo covers.

I am still hoping to have it on the road for April 7th, which is my race teams start of the year track day. On that note, I would like to invite you guys out to Mosport's DDT that day to meet me, and check out the team. We also offer it as a lapping day for $150, it includes lunch, refreshments, and semi-pro photography of the event. Alternatively, you could rent one of our Formula 1200 race cars for $600 with same amenities included.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:31 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Oh and the correct spelling is Jonathon.

Jonathan, have you graduated now? When are you planning on getting an SC or Carerra? I will definitely be coming out for the Saturdays, a couple of my coworkers currently attend frequently (Corvette guys - I work at GM) Ian Black and Rick Harrington, don't know how frequently though. They aparently do their own thing at Sherway Gardens across the street?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:13 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

Hey Jonathon, welcome!

You have dived right in there and are making great progress, thanks for the pics and write up. I am in the midst of 3.2 rebuild so a lot of this resonates with me (I have a thread with pics over in the 911 forum under the title "battery area surprise" if you are curious. All the engine stuff is in the most recent pages).

Your SC looks beautiful - it is one of my absolute favorite colour combinations for a 911.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:03 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathon Rolstin
Oh and the correct spelling is Jonathon.

Jonathan, have you graduated now? When are you planning on getting an SC or Carerra? I will definitely be coming out for the Saturdays, a couple of my coworkers currently attend frequently (Corvette guys - I work at GM) Ian Black and Rick Harrington, don't know how frequently though. They aparently do their own thing at Sherway Gardens across the street?
I graduated last May, currently loving the working life! Looking forward to meeting you some Saturday, and I'll do my best to make it to Mosport's DDT - I have a couple friends from the UofT FSAE team (that have now been converted to Porsche nuts) that would also love to come out!

Keep us posted with pics of the rebuild, what a gorgeous engine to work on...
Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

500_19B, your battery area surprise thread was very useful for me... I had the same problem last summer when I bought the car, I think you may have even posted in the thread on pelican...

Jonathan, I have been looking for local porschenuts... I seem to be the only one out of our whole SAE team that graduated and it is kind of sad. I have found new hope...

Once I get the car finished I will come out Saturdays as often as I can.

Cheers
Old 03-17-2012, 12:47 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jonathon,

Welcome to the forum. Great introduction.
I just finished the disassembly part of my 3.2 rebuild, so it will be nice to follow your project along and compare notes. Funny, I got the next size up grinder, and the smaller parts washer at Princes Auto a few weeks ago.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:34 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Hey Ian,

Thanks, appreciate it. I am not doing a full rebuild, so you may not be able to follow my every move, but my rocker work should be appreciable at the least. Ya I definitely love having a princess auto not too far from me, always wanting to buy more cheap tools!

Good luck with your 3.2 and let me know if I can help in any way.

Cheers
Old 03-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Default Nice weather = painting progress!

Finally got some time after I finished my bezier algorithm project for school to work on the car project again...

Crank pulley prepped and painted, fan prepped.

Close up of crank pulley.

Fan painted, looks pretty!

Valve covers painted.

Some touch-ups, fan housing and fan outter pulley painted.

I was able to pick up my shipment of 1 case of kendall 80W90 hypoid gear oil, 1 case of Brad Penn 20W50 Racing Oil, tube of Curil-T, Red-line assembly lube, and loctite 574 case sealant.

I used the Curil-T today and installed the new crank pulley seal.

Then I installed the freshly painted crank pulley, lookin' good! (Still need to torque - don't let me forget! I am leaving the painters tape on it so I remember).

Cheers

Last edited by Jonathon Rolstin; 03-19-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:16 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

I do remember now... yeah, that was a nice job you had done on the suspension pan. I'm enjoying your thread here too.

I have to agree with everyone, Princess Auto is a life-saver sometimes!
Old 03-19-2012, 02:23 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

Nice write-up.
Lasted my entire lunch!
Wait till you start replacing the suspension parts (mine is for sale btw)
Old 03-20-2012, 01:00 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

My wallet is going to need a break after this...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Default Update

Got some time in today, weather was beautiful. Worked on the CIS today, disconnected the fuel lines from the injectors, pulled the injectors, disassembled all the runners, removed the sleeves, orings and seals (in preparation for new ones). Also cleaned the entire CIS system, disconnected throttle body and gave it a real good cleaning. Also the air flow meter was cleaned, everything is in great shape.

Also sanded the letters on the upper valve covers, but wasn't careful enough so I will have to do some touch ups

The underside of the intake was covered in oil and gunk, I cleaned it really well, and disconnected the runner boots and cleaned all the clamps individually taking them all apart. Also reconditioned the boots with some WD40.

Also got my dizzy cap and new rotor installed, I cleaned the contact surface with a scotch brite pad.

No picture of it though, but here is my new oil!

Cheers
Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Default Update

Got some time to reassemble the alternator/fan/fan housing today, and mounted it to the engine. Also test-fit an upper valve cover... get ready for some eye candy...

Enjoy, cheers.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Default Update again! Shift coupler time.

Hey guys,

So today I had time to pull my shift coupler and throw in some new bearings -EDIT (bushings... :S). I had a really hard time getting the pin out (at first), I couldn't for the life of me use my punch to hammer it out. So I got creative and put it in a vice with a couple of sockets.

I thought I would share this because I was really frustrated at first...

I used a 3/4" (or 19 for you metric guys) and an 8mm (quarter inch for you standard guys) socket to hold / press the pin out...

The bushings will start to deform slightly but not to worry, just keep twisting that vise with your other hand ready to catch everything when it comes loose.

Success!

Now I don't have a pic of pushing out the old bushings, but just get a closely sized socket and push them out, real easy.

Next step was pushing in the new bushings. The first one you can use the socket from the last step, but the last one is more difficult because there is no way to get in there. So what I came up with was pry it in gently with a screw driver until you get enough clearance to slip some channel locks (closed) in between the bushings.

Then take a small deep socket, quarter inch, or I used 7mm, so that it can slip through the bore of the first bushing, then press the channel locks on to the bushing to press it in.

Then I inspected the pin, and it had some really sharp edges. I put it in my drill and used a piece of 220 grit to take the sharp edge off.

Then using the same method to remove the pin, to push it back in.

And then you're done! Ta-da...

Hope this can help with others' frustrations.

Cheers

Last edited by Jonathon Rolstin; 03-31-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:41 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathon Rolstin
Got some time to reassemble the alternator/fan/fan housing today, and mounted it to the engine. Also test-fit an upper valve cover... get ready for some eye candy...

Enjoy, cheers.
OH WOW she is beautiful!!!

Quick Reply: Jonathon's '82 911 SC Thread