License Bureau won't plate my 928...problem with VIN

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License Bureau won't plate my 928...problem with VIN

Of course the Ontario Government changed their software last August, so I was told, and after the last six years they tell me there is a problem with my VIN. I broke out laughing right there...My 86.5 928 is a Japanese import and has of course a ROW serial number..ie WP0zzz...not acceptable according to them as their computer does not like it. Has anyone else had any issues this year?...If you did how did you resolve it?....I lucked out kind of as I still have a month left on my old tag.....tnx Bill
Old 05-28-2011, 01:21 AM
duncan1437
Advanced

when i imported my 1981 ROW 911 from the USA 2 years ago, the US border guard initially refused to allow the car out of the USA because there was a problem with the VIN. she left the office for about 15 minutes, came back, and said it was ok to go.

i never had any problem with the MTO, but i just found this comment on the web from last october ...

"I had some issues with the vin on the doka, it was a ZZZ vin from Germany. Long and the short of it the MTO registered it as a "new" vehicle because of a non-conforming vin?!"

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=311858

however if the car is registered as 'new', will it require smog tests???

i'd suggest calling the MTO head office to discuss it. they probably have a ZZZ expert. good luck.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:33 AM
duncan1437
Advanced

this came up on a search for ontario VIN exceptions....

"OK guys, I got some info on this.
At the beginning of this year, MTO and the insurance companies linked databases.
There is a big issue with some of the VINs in the system as a result of this link, so they introduced a VIN exception list.
This list applies to both RHD and LHD cars, many people with either are having problems.
What you have to do is call your insurance broker and say you need to be put on the VIN exception list, they will call the insurance company who will coordinate it with MTO. This should only take 24-48 hours, then you can go back to MTO and get your sticker.
If it doesn't happen in 48 hours, call your broker again and get on them. This is NOT an RHD only issue, so don't feel that you are asking for anything special, they should get it done quickly."

post #50 from here

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/legalese...on-list-5.html
Old 05-28-2011, 10:20 AM
wurthguy
Track Day

I have have had similiar issues with my 944 S2 that was a Japan import as well with the ZZZ vin. I even received a letter from the MTO saying there was an issue with the VIN, but when I went to renew the plates there was no problem. I have had to send a picture of the VIN to my insurance company 3 times though....and intially my agent changed the VIN on my policy so it would go through their computer !! I had them fix it as the e-test guy thought I was trying something as my insurance slip didn't match the car's VIN.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info Duncan I'll get on the insurance company first thing Monday. It just seems odd that the 928 has been tagged the last six years and all the stickers on the ownership mean nothing to the MTO or their system. Just where did all the MTO robots come from???...absolutely no help from them...
tnx all that responded....Bill
Old 05-29-2011, 02:40 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

My buddy bought a RHD Supra last fall and haven't heard of him haivng any issues yet.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:27 PM
fdss
Advanced

Take in your insurance papers letter from Porsche matching the VIN to the vehicle, and you're good to go.

You may have to go in to the Keele & 401 location to deal with this.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Five-8
Pro

Bill

Had a similar issue when transferring the ownership on the car i just purchased two months ago.The lady at the lic bureau told me that i needed to go to a Porsche dealer and have them inspect and sign a note/letter (on Porsche letterhead) verifying that the VIN was indeed the VIN found on the car.Was a complete PITA (driving the car around Ottawa without plates)...and i have to say the Porsche dealership was less than helpful in the beginning, but they agreed and all was well upon return to the lic bureau.

Don't know if this will help at all

Cheers

Adrian
Old 06-30-2011, 01:04 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

This was all the fault of the Insurance Bureau of Canada. They went after business at the Ministry way back in 2009 and gave them an offer they could not refuse. We run the VIN check system for a fee and you get to lay off staff, (which they did). Now of course - they hide from the media fallout and direct people's anger against the Ministry. I guess this is fair as they are the fools who allowed the insurance industry into the hen house - but to dodge the fallout is BS. These are the same A holes who sent out letters last year that just about said you were ripping off the insurance system and had no insurance on your car when they checked the whole Province's database back in late November of 2010. The industry doesn't have a code for people with seasonal use cars. All these fools do is check people with valid tags and NO liability in winter and fire off letters. Well DUH mode. Of course I'm only going to have fire and theft on a car sitting in my garage during the late fall through early spring period. They fu9ked up the system by not doing these checks during the SUMMER. Now I hear they have gone back to the Ministry and are trying to get them to disallow removing liability insurance during the off season!!! See the $ scam $ here? Just like motorcycles - no six months insurance but year round a$$reaming for a car not driven in snow and therefore no threat of a claim. So far - nothing back from the Ministry on this 'request' - I heard they were told to shut the F66k up about this idea until the election is over. Dear old Kathleen is worried about the Tory candidate in Don Valley West beating her a$$ I guess so it's xnay on allowing insurance rape on summer cars quite yet.

Now these dumb as$es have VIN numbers not transfered to their database - mostly their error and it is causing a lot of problems with the public. Almost all of the missed VIN's have been in the system for years - very few are new to this Province this year.

The reason you have to go to your insurance company to get this figured out is that they are linked to the IBC servers - it has nothing to do with the MTO servers - all of that was 'outsourced' last year. MTO are now only uploading changes nightly to IBC and it's a pain in the butt I hear to override anything and append info to the files. IBC through your insurance company make the change and then MTO is 'allowed' to 'offer' you services on anthing to do with the car/plate. Just wait until the personal drivers licence/health card system goes fully private, (it's coming by 2013).

MTO still have not learned their lesson - they seem to pick groups without doing full background checks to see if they can do the job properly - witness the UK firm running our driver testing and screwing that up.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Xpit77
Racer

First off. I have no issues with my Insurance Company but...
TOworker brought up a point that still bugs me. My son owned a Sport Bike.When he put it to bed for the off season he was still charged as if he was riding it.?
I can drop my coverage for the winter on the 944.WTF ?
Old 07-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well folks I am still having issues with the tag...the dumb *** insurance company has sent me another insurance slip with a mistake in the vin on it...they were sent a photo of the vin and they sent the slip missing a Z...they have sent out this slip four times with mistakes every time...I think this is the second time with the VIN WP0ZZxxxxxx..not WP0ZZZxxxxx....they just don't get it....call them again tomorrow as my plates are due on the 8th.....Geeeeezzzz it has been a month already, give me a break.......
Old 07-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

hahaha...I have been dealing with my broker the last few days and they assured me that all was in order.....guess what....hahaha...same issue ...I have been to the ministry now three times, pulled a number waited my turn and sorry can't give you a tag....Error 162...VIN not confirmed....so I got my sh&t together called the Ministry help line got a number for IBC and dealt with a gentleman that as soon as I explained the problem and error gave me a lis5t of things to scan and submit. Now lets see how long this avenue takes to resolve the issue....I'm hoping....
Old 07-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well well.... isn't this interesting.... My insurance company sent me the papers for my car this year but it didn't say Porsche 993 Turbo alongside the VIN number ... instead it listed a Datsun 310! I had to fax them my ownership and wait a few weeks for them to remedy the situation. At least I am glad that they didn't identify my car as the new Ferrari 458 Italia and increase my premium accordingly.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Got full insurance reinstated yesday and them went to the MTO to get a new sticker for the 928. They asked to see the insurance slip becuase their system showed the 928 was still not insured (had fire & theft on it since winter). Then she told me that they have to do a "One time manual over ride" in their system to bypass it. Then she tells me next time, I will have to have the insurance reinstated a few days ahead so their system can be updated as the manual over ride is only a one time deal...WTF.....this is getting out of hand.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Sultan
Burning Brakes

I had the same issue when I started my insurance back up in March, although she didn't tell me it was a one time thing. And yes, I agree, that is annoying. I should have to start my insurance early just to accomodate an MTO thing, in the past I would call my guy up same day for insurance now I have to wait a day or two for MTO to sync, that is BS.

Quick Reply: License Bureau won't plate my 928...problem with VIN