Notices

PCA UCR DE: Mosport May 14-15, who's going?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:06 AM
akw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess the NNJR aren't the only "cowboys" as some would have us believe
Old 05-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

How many cars were damaged?
Old 05-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 387 Posts

5 on Saturday. 3 of them 993s, one was targa
Old 05-15-2011, 05:28 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't been do the DE just yet (plan to later this summer) so maybe this is a dumb question - But I thought these events were really safe? I was under the impression that the instructors wouldn't let you do stupid things? Or is it just a matter of the driver not listening? Or does this with the more advanced groups that got carried away?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Mosport is a very unforgiving track...especially in wet. from my point of view drivers were driving beyond their limits (too fast considering the conditions), still had cobwebs from a long winter combined with a slippery track. I don't think that instructors were in the cars that went off yesterday. Everyone should leave their egos at home and only drive within his/her own ability. I would not recommend that a beginner drive in the rain at Mosport...I have seen too many crashes in the rain there. This track has a lot of fluids in the pavement (oil, coolant etc) and some very dramatic elevation changes.
that being said even with yesterdays crashes PCA UCR drivers have less incidents per mile on the track than the general population on the road. So don't be a statistic. my advice to beginners is to not drive beyond the level which you are comfortable. Going to the track is fun, crashing is not!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:50 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoffa
I haven't been do the DE just yet (plan to later this summer) so maybe this is a dumb question - But I thought these events were really safe? I was under the impression that the instructors wouldn't let you do stupid things? Or is it just a matter of the driver not listening? Or does this with the more advanced groups that got carried away?

They are driving at Mosport. It is one of the most challenging tracks in the world with massive elevation changes and off camber turns. It is very easy to go fast, and it is NOT very forgiving. NOT a track for horsing around, or cocky amatures. (read not a begginer track) I'm not saying that any who had troubles was horsing around. Fast tracks equals more dangers when things go bad.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:57 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Today was a little better with no serious offs, but those were the worst conditions that I've ever driven in at Mosport....I was glad not to be driving the turbo.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

I think only turn 2 is off camber.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:29 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

rain sucks, I spend the day doing this.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:33 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a little driving and a lot of shivering, but I did have a great time with the Rennsport crowd and picked up my new seats. Thanks, guys!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Mike_UCR
Rennlist Member

The track was tougher today. It was both wet & cold. No way to heat up your tires and definitely no heat in the asphalt. Stephen Goodbody gave a talk on "optimum wet line" using some overhead aeial shots of the major corners. Pretty informative. Still didn't stop me from spinning out in corner 8 when I was trying his line. Luckily there were no other cars in the vicinity.

All that being said, I still enjoy driving Mosport in the rain. It makes you really aware of inputs and accentuates smoothness but you can get into trouble quickly if you get cocky or distracted.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:31 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by akw
I guess the NNJR aren't the only "cowboys" as some would have us believe
Sorry Adam, but this is uncalled for.

Originally Posted by hoffa
Alex, I don't think that it's about "doing stupid things" or "not listening". **** happens!

UCR is as safe as they get, if not safer, but, as in life, there are no guarantees. The difference between staying on line and and spinning out might be a matter of just one or two km/h. The problem is that it's really hard to tell/know exactly where the limit is... and it changes from run to run, if not from lap to lap.

As others have said, Mosport is VERY demanding... in ideal conditions. So you can imagine what it's like in the wet. In the wet, the dry line becomes a skating rink, and must be avoided at all cost. Unfortunately, to drive the wet line, you must cross the dry (read slippery) line repeatedly.

At some tracks, there is no such thing as a dry or wet line. At Mosport, the difference is CRITICAL. This is one reason why some visiting drivers are challenged here.

On top of that, the 911 is unique with it's lump-in-the-back, and it presents some unique challenges over and above those provided by the driving surface.

I drove all sessions this weekend and generally enjoyed myself. There's nothing better than rain to work on smooth hands and feet, and you certainly have to pay attention and THINK. Still, I felt relieved when the checkered came out at the end of the last session.

Driving at the track is risky, as are many things that we enjoy doing. If everything we did was easy and safe, and if nothing was ever difficult, how could we achieve the satisfaction of having accomplished something challenging?
Old 05-15-2011, 11:40 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Hopefully the Rennist day will be warm, sunny, and dry.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:14 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

From what I could see, people were trying to go as fast as they could. aka, driving at the limit.
Even the wet line that was shown, was a line for the fastest lap time in the wet.
I drove the Rick Bye wet line (UCR website) that I felt was the smoothest and safest ......not the fastest.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:19 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
I drove the Rick Bye wet line (UCR website) that I felt was the smoothest and safest ......not the fastest.
yup, very slow but safe, it you try and go fast there is no track left to catch it.

I basically drive it in some areas, but usually I keep to the dry line but just alter the line so none of the tires are ever on the cement. Then I try to always cross the cement while in a straight line.

Quick Reply: PCA UCR DE: Mosport May 14-15, who's going?