Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   Porsche Canada / Import from US / European Delivery (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/608561-porsche-canada-import-from-us-european-delivery.html)

AK1 12-28-2010 04:23 PM

Porsche Canada / Import from US / European Delivery

Hi, newbie here so please excuse any obvious (or non-obvious -)) faux pas. Cross-posted to Cayenne forum as not sure most appropriate posting location.

I am shopping for a 2011 Cayenne or Cayenne S and have identified the following approache. I would appreciate any comments / guidance :

1) Porsche Canada. Up to 6 months wait list according to Vancouver dealer. Unattractive finance / lease rates approx. 7%. Foreign currency credit available. Based on today's rates, credit it would be $2,500 for Cayenne and $5,000 for Cayenne S.

2) Buy in US. As of today, autotrader.com has approx. 28 used vehicles throughout US. I would likely engage a middle person to do the import for me. Have read up on the issues / pitfalls. I understand there are 1 or 2 board members who specialize in this. Savings likely in the $5,000 to $10,000 range vs. Porsche Canada or better if a good deal can be struck south of the border.

3) European delivery via Porsche Canada. We are planning a European vacation for 5 weeks in June / July. Does anyone have any experience doing this via Porsche Canada? From searches on this forum it seems there is actually an additional fee to take European delivery?

4) European delivery via Porsche US. How does the US European delivery program compare to the Canadian program? Is it technically possible for a Canadian to use this program in a US Dealer if it is more financially attractive than the same program in Canada? If possible, I expect I would use the US the program, drive in Europe, take delivery in the US and import to Canada.

Thanks so much for any assistance...

porsche0nut 12-28-2010 06:29 PM

Welcome AK1! I love the new Cayenne's.

Send our member Christien a PM (private message) as he has a lot of experience importing vehicles (especially Porsche's) from the US and would likely be of great help to you.

All the best with your search!

Edit: here's Christien's profile: https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...christien.html to send a PM click on "send message" on the left side, which will drop a list and you can select "private message".

AK1 12-28-2010 08:12 PM

Thanks porsche0nu, I will contact Christian for sure. I am also interested in getting some members' feedback on the European delivery scenarios I outlined in my original post. Happy New Year!

Originally Posted by porsche0nut (Post 8165826)
Welcome AK1! I love the new Cayenne's.

Send our member Christien a PM (private message) as he has a lot of experience importing vehicles (especially Porsche's) from the US and would likely be of great help to you.

All the best with your search!

Edit: here's Christien's profile: https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...christien.html to send a PM click on "send message" on the left side, which will drop a list and you can select "private message".

Granger968 12-28-2010 09:15 PM

Ronan will able to help you with European delivery questions...

AK1 12-28-2010 09:21 PM

Thank you, I can see there is a board member "Ronan" and "ronanw". Were you referring to one of these?

Originally Posted by Granger968 (Post 8166187)
Ronan will able to help you with European delivery questions...

force4rmr 12-28-2010 10:05 PM

Welcome. For best "deal", buying USED in the US is the way to go but keep in mind that resale value will be less as well. On average I've saved about 10-15% on my vehicles ( no brokers involved).

It's not easy to buy NEW from a US dealer and you would definately need a broker, but it can be done. But I doubt it's possible to do a Euro delivery via a US dealer purchase. Your local dealer should be able to fill you in on Euro delivery costs with a CDN purchase.

porsche0nut 12-28-2010 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by AK1 (Post 8166196)
Thank you, I can see there is a board member "Ronan" and "ronanw". Were you referring to one of these?

Granger968 is referring to the member "Ronan" who has done European delivery a number of times in the past.

Ronan 12-29-2010 04:33 AM

Sorry am in Europe right now and was not logging on much. No idea re Euro US delivery, but have done Canadian version. Adds $5k to the cost, but you do get to drive in Europe for up to 3 weeks and then drop the car back to Porsche who ship it to the dealer in the usual way. No break on price. You get a free night's hotel in Stuttgart, a factory tour and get your vehicle with a delivery mileage of about 2 or 3K. All arrangements are done through the dealer, and though there is some paperwork it is trouble-free. Car comes with temp plates and a temp Euro nav system so you are ready to go immediately after lunch at Porsche.
The German side is identical for Canada and US.

Christien 12-29-2010 01:39 PM

email sent.

AK1 12-30-2010 12:32 PM

Thanks for the info, it seems like the Canadian Euro delivery is not the most cost-effective way to buy a new vehicle.

So it seems I will either do a US import or (a longer shot) US Euro delivery.

Originally Posted by Ronan (Post 8166928)
Sorry am in Europe right now and was not logging on much. No idea re Euro US delivery, but have done Canadian version. Adds $5k to the cost, but you do get to drive in Europe for up to 3 weeks and then drop the car back to Porsche who ship it to the dealer in the usual way. No break on price. You get a free night's hotel in Stuttgart, a factory tour and get your vehicle with a delivery mileage of about 2 or 3K. All arrangements are done through the dealer, and though there is some paperwork it is trouble-free. Car comes with temp plates and a temp Euro nav system so you are ready to go immediately after lunch at Porsche.
The German side is identical for Canada and US.

silvermoon 03-09-2014 11:16 AM

suggestions on how to import into canada a used us car? Costs and suggested contacts?

PbPedis 03-09-2014 02:33 PM

Have you looked on riv.ca? Everything you need to know is there. I haven't looked at prices in the US lately, but with our weaker dollar, it may not be as attractive as it once was. Don't forget 6.1% duty, and possible gas guzzler tax depending on what you are looking for.

There are brokers who will do the legwork for you as well if you don't want to bother doing it yourself. Contact Christien if you want help.

John 996 TT Cab 03-09-2014 03:13 PM

Best check out if a US dealer can arrange Euro delivery to someone from Canada. Technically they cannot sell a new Porsche to a non US resident under the terms of their franchise. Used is ok but by definition Euro delivery is a new car.