Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   Silica & Bounce (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/600145-silica-and-bounce.html)

boxgal 11-05-2010 09:40 AM

Silica & Bounce

First time I'm storing my new to me p-car, will have my oil changed and plug in my battery maintainer etc.

Couple questions....
Bounce AND Silica a good idea or just one?
Going to tape off exhaust and air intakes with painters tape.

Car will be stored covered in a garage on concrete floor, in the country so could be some mice. Not too worried about the tires, I will inflate them but need new ones come the spring.

Anyone know where I can buy silica salt?

Thx!

Bryan Henry 11-05-2010 09:56 AM

I've bought it at gun shops in packs about the size of a baseball for using in mu gun safe's

Christien 11-05-2010 09:57 AM

Bounce is for odour, silica salt is for moisture. Bounce sheets are always a good idea over winter, IMO. Silica salt is useless unless you're in a very small room, and have lots of salt. I use a zip-up carbag that came with about 2 litres worth of silica salt, so that gives you an idea of how much you need for a small space. I would think mice would chew right through painter's tape - use steel wool or a condom instead.

I think the carbag is the best option - it effectively seals out mice and moisture, and can be used really anywhere.

dml 11-05-2010 11:27 AM

Put the silica in the car in a baking dish. A gallon jar at Lee Valley for about $20.

boxgal 11-05-2010 11:29 AM

I read that mice don't like the smell of Bounce on the forum somewhere.

911RufRT 11-05-2010 12:44 PM

You could also try dri z air instead of silica which is available at Canadian Tire. Its used for boats but works great in cars as well.

ronnie993tt 11-05-2010 01:58 PM

The best way to deal with mice is to put several mouse traps at entrance points to the garage - doors, cracks, etc. Bait them with sunflower seeds jammed tightly into the curled hole on the trigger. Peanut butter dries out and mice also seem to beable to lick it out without setting off the trap. Clean 'em out and re-set the traps every few days. Great excuse to have a look at my baby throughout the winter! "Just going out to clean out the mouse traps Honey"........

John52 11-05-2010 03:33 PM

I purchased my silica at Michael's (nationwide chain hobby and craft store). It was advertised for drying flowers.

Sultan 11-05-2010 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Christien (Post 8031712)
I would think mice would chew right through painter's tape - use steel wool or a condom instead.

I bought a box of latex gloves last year which I used for the intake and exhaust.

PPo 11-06-2010 11:24 AM

Napthelene or Moth Balls spread around the wheels will keep the mice away, and the smell will not get into the car...

Worked for me for many years...