I've added BMW Canada to my sh!t list

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:13 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gmiz
All;

Ex Pat Canadian here in Sunny San Diego, and I have a 2001 Boxster S - Seal Grey on Black - and it looks like I may be relocating back to Toronto. I know - from sunny So Cal to the GTA may not seem that great, but it will be good to come home.

I am reading this thread and wondering specifically what issues I may have brining the P-Car back. Looks like the major issue may be the odometer/speedometer. By BMW has both KM's and MPH on the speedomoter, but not the Boxster.

Based on the RIV site, it is admissable, but I am sure there is more.

Given its age - over 10 years - is it possible that it could be grandfathered? What is the best source of info? Porsche Canada? MOT?

Thanks for any help.

Greg
You can change the digital speedometer display from Miles to KM and this will be accepted by the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV). To do this simply turn and hold (~5 sec.s), either the clock adjustment or dimmer **** on the gauge cluster. Check the manual for this. You will also need DRL's. Do a search here for a DIY on this. and a child seat tether available at Canadian Tire.

There is a lot of info on importing cars from the US in this forum, just do a quick search.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Rules are significantly different (and easier!) for a vehicle owner to import the car into Canada when moving permanently. I'm not sure exactly what they are, but I doubt you'll get any static from BMW or Porsche whatsoever when you request the required documentation, nor any charges. They're trying to stop people from buying in the states rather than buying here, it's totally different when you've long ago bought the car and are now moving. You'll still need to go through RIV, so do some reading at riv.ca.

Welcome home!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by gmiz
All;

Ex Pat Canadian here in Sunny San Diego, and I have a 2001 Boxster S - Seal Grey on Black - and it looks like I may be relocating back to Toronto. I know - from sunny So Cal to the GTA may not seem that great, but it will be good to come home.

I am reading this thread and wondering specifically what issues I may have brining the P-Car back. Looks like the major issue may be the odometer/speedometer. By BMW has both KM's and MPH on the speedomoter, but not the Boxster.

Based on the RIV site, it is admissable, but I am sure there is more.

Given its age - over 10 years - is it possible that it could be grandfathered? What is the best source of info? Porsche Canada? MOT?

Thanks for any help.

Greg
A month ago I've convinced a co-worker to buy a Boxter S instead of a Honda S2000. His car came from MI and the seller converted the odoeter to KM/h. He said it was as simple as following a procedure by pressing a couple buttons and that's it. Importing a car is the same if you are moving or not, it will have to meet the same standards as any other import. BUT you will not have to pay duty or maybe even HST as it's your own car BUT then again, you will not be allowed to sell it for I think one year.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:59 PM
gmiz
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Thanks

Thanks for the information and the "Welcome Home"! I will not get to drive the Boxster as much so maybe I will appreciate it more.

Quick Reply: I've added BMW Canada to my sh!t list