Gettin sick of oil claims !

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Benny771
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gettin sick of oil claims !

Alright.

Im looking for one master mind that can tell me what oil i should run in my 1989 930. Zinc seems to be a HUGE issue. Apparently my oil needs quite an amount of this to protect the cams.
Every time i decide on one, someone speaks up and states that the ingredient has changed and now its not that good.
It is almost impossible to find the ingredient on the manufactures sites (this is done on purpose).

So i started searching oil additives with high amounts of zinc. The either say "use this one" and they no longer make it, or you cant get it here !!

Someone tell me........What should i get and where do i get it, and what is the "proven" Zinc amount.

Please.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Do a search under oil and username "Doug Hillary"

Lots of informative stuff over the years.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just use whatever full synthetic your owners manual specifies. has anyone here ever had an engine problem running a good quality double ester synthetic?

Hell, has anyone here even taken apart a motor to look at its condition after XYZ kilometers of use with a certain oil?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:30 AM
carrera
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What kind of oil ? Clean oil !
The grade that is recommended in your owners manual.
Personally I use mobil 1 because I like the way the container looks.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:56 AM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

for what it's worth, i'm using lubromoly full synthetic and i'm not burning as much oil as i did with mobil1 (infact i don't believe i'm burning ANY oil at this time).

motorcycle techs take apart engines much more frequently than car tech (they're small, high revving little things that area much easier to dismantle than a porker motor) and the amount of wear noticed after using Motul 300V was negligable. The general consensus is that 300V is the bee's knees but it has a price tag to match.

caveat emptor
Old 05-23-2010, 12:12 PM
PG993
Instructor

Lots of talk on this topic to death on 993 forum. Lots of good info and input from knowledgeable people. In summary, Mobil 1 or if you think high levels of ZDDP is important then Brad Pen green racing oil.

Paul
Old 05-23-2010, 02:09 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by carrera
Me too!
Old 05-23-2010, 02:43 PM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

They say Brad Penn. You can get them locally, but just not off the shelf.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:41 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Brad Penn Racing Oils (same as the old Kendall from the '70s);
SWEPCO 306;
Redline;
Royal Purple;
Castrol GTX High Mileage; and
Mobil 1 V-Twin MC 20w-50.
Mobil 1 MX4T 10w40
Royal Purple Max Cycle 20w50
Amsoil m/c Harley V-twin 20w50
Castrol Syntec "Classic" 20w50
Valvoline VR-1 20W-50 -it is marked "Non-Street Legal".

From Ultimate Motor Oil Thread or Why we hate CJ4/SM oils

Brad Penn is available from the Cdn distributor in Oshawa.

Ian
Old 05-24-2010, 10:52 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by carrera
+1 and it goes well with my Mobil1/Porsche trunk bag:
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2010, 11:14 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

New cars are not at issue in this discussion. Here is a quote from the 69 page head hurting post I linked above:

"Since the introduction of the new CJ-4 / SM motor oils, there has been lots of discussion about what to do. For those of you who do not know, the latest motor oil formulations have significantly reduced the anti-wear additive ZDDP (provides phosphorus and zinc).

Per SAE papers, approximately 1400 to 1500 ppm of Zn and P are needed. This level needs to be adjusted based on the levels of detergents present as well to prevent premature wear of rotating parts like camshafts in cars that have flat tappets (like our older Porsches).

Newer cars have roller tappets to help save fuel.
As a side benefit, they do not require the level of ZDDP that non-roller tappets require. Until the advent of the CJ4 / SM grades now currently offered, the ZDDP Levels of quality motor oils provided the phosphorus and zinc we needed.

Much of this is discussed on Charles Navarro's Web page http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html. Steve Weiner and I have discussed the impact of lowered ZDDP on engine longevity as well."
Old 05-24-2010, 03:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

These cars do NOT have hydraulic lifters as new cars do so you can't just " throw in some mbil one" and hope for the best. Also the bearing clearances speced out in the design phase of the engine are with a specific oil in mind and the ones of todays cars are grossly different from 20 years ago .
Without question for me high levels of ZDDP are crucial to older engines, we just discussed this at length on the 911 forum and someone listed all the major oils and their ZDDP levels.

I think Brad Penn came out pretty well on top , but for local available valvoline VR1 racing was very high right behind it.

As a side note Autozone in the US has it on sale right now for half price till the end of May. If your going to Buffalo for any reason definitely get some I just picked up 4 cases on the weekend so that along with my 2 cases of Brad Penn puts me in good shape for a while.

Last edited by theiceman; 05-24-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:23 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 241 Likes on 163 Posts

This is a never-ending debate on the 993tt forum but it seems to come down to 2 contenders...M1 V Twin 20W-50 and M1 15W-50. The former has slightly higher ZDDP levels but all of the local wrenches I've asked said go for the 15W-50 because we have a cooler climate and it is formulated for high perf turbo engines. It is also one of the oils recommended in the manual.....
Old 05-25-2010, 12:44 AM
Benny771
Racer

Originally Posted by theiceman
These cars do NOT have hydraulic lifters as new cars do so you can't just " throw in some mbil one" and hope for the best. Also the bearing clearances speced out in the design phase of the engine are with a specific oil in mind and the ones of todays cars are grossly different from 20 years ago .
Without question for me high levels of ZDDP are crucial to older engines, we just discussed this at length on the 911 forum and someone listed all the major oils and their ZDDP levels.

I think Brad Penn came out pretty well on top , but for local available valvoline VR1 racing was very high right behind it.

As a side note Autozone in the US has it on sale right now for half price till the end of May. If your going to Buffalo for any reason definitely get some I just picked up 4 cases on the weekend so that along with my 2 cases of Brad Penn puts me in good shape for a while.
Can you put the link up? Or copy the list for us?
Old 05-25-2010, 04:17 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

I've used M1 15W 50 for the last 10 years and I have 330,000 km without a rebuild. Car still goes like snot .......

Quick Reply: Gettin sick of oil claims !