Notices

Rennlist 4 Post Car Lift Group Buy - New Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:50 PM
redcarman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rennlist 4 Post Car Lift Group Buy - New Thread

Hi guys. This is a new thread for a Rennlist Group Buy of a Direct-Lift 4 Post Lift in the Toronto Area. I realize that there was another recent thread on a similar topic but it was specifically for a group buy that the Corvette Club was organizing that I believe has already happened. This group buy is being initiated for Rennlist members. However, if you know anyone outside our community that is interested they are free to join in as the more buyers we get on board the cheaper the lift will be.

I just want to make it clear that I am a Rennlist member that is looking to buy a 4 post car lift within the next 3-4 weeks. I have recently done a fair bit of research on the residential car lifts available in Canada and I think that for the Direct-Lift car lift provides the best value for the dollar. That is my own opinion based on my research and I am in no way affiliated with Direct-Lift, Dover, or ADG Forward.

I recently had my garage door retrofitted for high lift operation to enable two cars to be parked on top of each other. I can provide info to anyone that is looking to do the same mod to their garage door.

The car lift that I am looking to purchase is the Direct Lift Pro Park 8 sold by ADG Forward in Mississauga. I have gone to see a demo of the lift at ADG and was told that Direct-Lift is owned by Dover and the lifts are manufactured in an ISO9000 certified factory that is owned by Dover in China. ADG indicates that the minimum required clearance for the lift is the height of both cars + 5". Realistically I think you will need another 6-8" on top of that to provide a minimum buffer of a few inches between the roof of the cars and the underside of the lift and ceiling.

The lift appears to be well built and solid. Details of this particular lift include:

- reputable company (Direct-Lift) and parent company (Dover)
- excellent value for money
- comes with wheel castors, plastic oil drip trays, and jack stand included
- narrow 105" outside width (117" including the pump)
- adjustable lock stops on each column (allows leveling the lift on slightly unlevel floor)
- mechanical secondary safety locks
- ALI Certification (Cheapest ALI certified residential lift you can buy)
- 110 v operation
- local supplier and service available in GTA
- home delivery option provided by ADG Forward in GTA (example cost - $200 to Oakviile/West Mississauga)
- home delivery and setup option available in GTA (example cost - $600 to Oakviile)

Additional information on the lift can be found at:

http://www.directlift.ca/pro-park-8.htm

I am planning to also buy the optional aluminum ramps since they are much lighter (20 lbs) than the standard steel ramps and they are longer than the steel ramps as well which I think will help with my low 911. The pump can be mounted on the end side of the corner post with a custom made L-bracket. I am planning to have one made for me since the 105" width is critical in my narrow 2 car garage. If anyone else is interested I can find out what I would cost to have additional brackets made by my fabricator.

The best price I was able to obtain for 1 lift was $2,395 and $375 for the optional light weight aluminum ramps, plus taxes.

Group Buy Prices for 2 to 6 units:

Car Lift - $2,345
Aluminum Ramps - $355

Savings on both Lift and Alum Ramps - $70

Group Buy 7 to 10 units

Car Lift - $2,245
Aluminum Ramps - $295

Savings on both Lift and Alum Ramps - $210

The price on the moveable hydraulic jack is $650.

So for this group buy to be really worth it we need to have at least 7 buyers.

If you are outside the Toronto Area you will have to add the cost of delivery (Contact ADG Forward directly) to these prices. ADG Forward indicated that they would honour the group by price for up to 4 weeks for those that may not want immediate delivery. I need to find out if they require advanced payment for the entire purchase or if they will accept a deposit to hold the price. I will let everyone know when I find out.

I will PM those that showed interest in the other post and I will then list the names of all those that have commited to the group buy. So let's see if we can make this happen within the next 3-4 weeks. I would like to target mid to end of March 2010 for the actual purchase.

Last edited by redcarman; 02-28-2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: added more information
Old 02-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 451 Posts

FWIW...the group buy for the Corvette guys was $300 off for a price of $2,195 and the REGULAR price for the aluminum ramps was $295...I got these prices directly from Dave at ADG.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:15 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Porsche guys have more money to burn than GM guys......
Old 02-26-2010, 10:09 AM
redcarman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zedder
FWIW...the group buy for the Corvette guys was $300 off for a price of $2,195 and the REGULAR price for the aluminum ramps was $295...I got these prices directly from Dave at ADG.
Mark, I thought that the vette group buy price was $2,295 based on information you provided in the other thread - but thanks for the info. I don't know what to tell you about the aluminum ramps - they indicated to me that the current retail price is $375. When did you get the $295 price from Dave? Angelo at ADG did tell me that they have began reinforcing the underside of the aluminum ramps themselves in order to improve the strength and rigidity - this may explain the price jump. Ask the vette guys if their ramps have this reinforcement.

Angelo also indicated that they have had mixed experiences with group buys in the past where they agreed on a "low" price based on a specific number of sales and then only half of the sales actually materialized. If we can guarantee ADG at least 6 or 7 sales perhaps they can do a better price. We shall see.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 451 Posts

No, if you look at the first post in that thread you'll see the price dropped to $2195. I got the ramp price in October during the group buy. None of the Corvette guys bought the aluminum ramps. I wonder would they do $3,000 for the lift, alum ramps and delivery/installation in Oakville? I'd be in for that deal
Old 02-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Nooch
Racer

Count me in for a lift, mid-March.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:24 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll have to decline (had shown interest in other thread).

I dropped by ADG last week to have a look at the lifts and must say that the Direct Lift would be my choice. Unfortunately, it was a bit of wishful thinking on my part to think that I could fit one of these in my current under-house garage. The ceiling is just too low.

I guess that now I have no choice but to build myself a separate man-cave ergh, I mean garage
Old 02-27-2010, 02:14 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 161 Posts

Mick,

Thank you for the PM,put me in as well although i want a two post lift .
Perhaps it doesn't really matter what type of lift i want as long as we purchase
multiple units ...

Regards !
Phil
Old 02-27-2010, 09:55 PM
redcarman
Instructor

Default List of Confirmed Buyers

So far the following 3 Rennlisters are in on the Group Buy for the 4 Post Lift

1. Redcarman
2. trinaia
3. wildcat077 (2 Post Lift)

I will keep updating this list as more buyers join in.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:12 PM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 184 Posts

I just picked up an American Autolifters M80 brand new for $1200 on Craigslist. Anomaly for sure but I scored on a top of the line four poster. Too bad they went out of business. They make a great lift.

+1 for Direct and good luck on the group buy.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:02 AM
TeamLexus
5th Gear

I am highly interested in this lift. But not looking for purchase until May/June.

I actually joined this forum, just to see how this thread would progress.

To the OP, redcarman, I'd like to know who you used to change your garage door tracks to a higher position? I just measured my "lowest obstruction height" and I have the full 120inches necessary to house my daily driver and my race car. I just need to change the path of my garage door (and in the process get a new opener) before I buy this lift. How much did your guy charge you to re-do the tracks to a higher position?

I also question how much delivery for the Pro Park 8 cost is? how much installation cost is? I'm in Woodbridge, at Hwy 7 & Pine Valley, so its within the GTA for sure.

Also, can the lifts use standard 120V outlets? Payments can be made by VISA?
Old 02-28-2010, 01:08 AM
TeamLexus
5th Gear

Here was my post on an Lexus IS enthusiast site back at the end of Jan 2010 looking for info about buying this particular lift:

http://my.is/forums/f122/4-post-lift...tially-406224/

So I've been doing my research for a while. I had planned on emailing the guys at directlift.ca to see what detailed info I can get....it seems this thread is going to get going pretty hardcore on attaining one of these lifts. Again......I'm looking to purchase more in May/June of this year due to having to re-do my garage door tracks first.....and also having just had our first newborn son 9 weeks ago makes time a precious thing.... also I wanted to spend time working on my car first before deciding on this lift.

Anyhow. It looks like a great thread and I hope to see some good reviews and detailed posts on you guys buying your lifts!
Old 02-28-2010, 02:53 PM
redcarman
Instructor

Default Response to Questions

Originally Posted by TeamLexus
I am highly interested in this lift. But not looking for purchase until May/June.

I actually joined this forum, just to see how this thread would progress.

To the OP, redcarman, I'd like to know who you used to change your garage door tracks to a higher position? I just measured my "lowest obstruction height" and I have the full 120inches necessary to house my daily driver and my race car. I just need to change the path of my garage door (and in the process get a new opener) before I buy this lift. How much did your guy charge you to re-do the tracks to a higher position?

I also question how much delivery for the Pro Park 8 cost is? how much installation cost is? I'm in Woodbridge, at Hwy 7 & Pine Valley, so its within the GTA for sure.

Also, can the lifts use standard 120V outlets? Payments can be made by VISA?
Here are a few quick replies to your specific questions. I will post more information on my garage door retrofit with pics.

I paid about $950 + tax for the retrofit of one garage door. The track retrofit was about $350 and the new side mounted opener was (Liftmaster Model 3800PC) $600 + taxes installed.

As far as delivery costs go, I was quoted $200 for delivery to QEW/Winston Churchill from ADG Forward's warehouse at Hwy 407/Dixie Rd in Mississauga. Someone in the other post indicated they got a price of $600 for delivery and installation in Oakville. If you are further away then that you should expect to pay a bit more for delivery and install.

The lift operates on 110 v. I am not sure if 220 v is available but I will check.

I didn't specifically ask but I am fairly certain that they will take VISA and MC but I will check.

Angelo at ADG indicated that if you pay up front for the lift that you should be able to delay delivery for up to 4 weeks.

I hope this info helps.

Mick
Old 02-28-2010, 03:12 PM
redcarman
Instructor

Default My Garage Door Retrofit to High Operation

Someone asked about my retrofit and who did the work so I have posted the information here. I used a guy named Peter with Unique Doors Co to do the garage door retrofit. You can reach him at at 416-854-0324. He installed my new garage doors 1 1/2 years ago and did a great job so I called him back to do the retrofit. My ceiling is exactly 116" which is really close but will fit two lowered Porsches.

The retrofit included replacing the upper parts of the tracks, a new longer and stronger spring, larger pulley wheels, longer pulley cables, and a new side mounted garage opener. The existing 15" radius tracks and horizontal track were replaced with a 32" radius track. This raised the garage door height (horizontal open position) by about 17". My garage door is now about 4-5" from the ceiling in the horizontal open position. I had to replace my existing conventional opener with a new Liftmaster side mounted opener (Model 3800PC) in order to make room for the upper car on the lift. This opener attaches to the end of the shaft of the bar where the spring and pulley wheels are located. The opener is very quiet, comes with a light that can be mounted anywhere on the ceiling or wall and is switched on/off through wireless control. The interior control pad has an LCD display that displays the time and temperature. It even has a motion sensor that turns on the light when you walk into the garage from the house - many way cool features. Liftmaster had a promotion at the time which may still be on where I received an extra in-car remote control and an exterior keypad for no additional cost.

The cost was about $350 for the garage door retrofit component and $600 for the side mounted Liftmaster opener. These prices are the installed prices but exclude tax.

I have included some before and after pics of my garage door retrofit. I hope this helps those that have to deal with the dreaded door retrofit!

Mick
Attached Images      
Old 02-28-2010, 03:46 PM
TeamLexus
5th Gear

Mick,

Your retrofit looks awesome. Quite awesome in fact.

I have a very very similar garage. Yesterday, I went out and measured from the bottom of the cross beam (I assume that would be the "lowest obstruction point") to the ground and it was exactly 120" inches.

This works well for the lift.

But it would mean the garage door would have to clear the ABOVE the beam. From your retro fit pics, it looks like the door clears a good 24" inches below the beam. I know that the retrofit means that there is waaaay less door resting in the horizontal position when opened...... so perhaps it won't interfere w/ the Porsche stored up top?

Quick Reply: Rennlist 4 Post Car Lift Group Buy - New Thread