Notices

It's here: 911 GT3 R Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010 | 08:47 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Default It's here: 911 GT3 R Hybrid

911 GT3 R Hybrid Celebrates World Debut in Geneva

Stuttgart. Exactly 110 years after Ferdinand Porsche developed the world’s first car with hybrid drive, the Lohner Porsche Semper Vivus, Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, is once again taking up this visionary drive concept in production-based GT racing: During the Geneva Motor Show, a Porsche 911 GT3 R with innovative hybrid drive is making its debut, opening up a new chapter in the history of Porsche with more than 20,000 wins in 45 years scored by the extremely successful Porsche 911 in racing trim.

The innovative hybrid technology featured in the car has been developed especially for racing, standing out significantly in its configuration and components from conventional hybrid systems. In this case, electrical front axle drive with two electric motors developing 60 kW each supplements the 480-bhp four-litre flat-six at the rear of the 911 GT3 R Hybrid. A further significant point is that instead of the usual batteries in a hybrid road car, an electrical flywheel power generator fitted in the interior next to the driver delivers energy to the electric motors.

The flywheel generator itself is an electric motor with its rotor spinning at speeds of up to 40,000 rpm, storing energy mechanically as rotation energy. The flywheel generator is charged whenever the driver applies the brakes, with the two electric motors reversing their function on the front axle and acting themselves as generators. Then, whenever necessary, that is when accelerating out of a bend or when overtaking, the driver is able to call up extra energy from the charged flywheel generator, the flywheel being slowed down electromagnetically in the generator mode and thus supplying up to 120 kW to the two electric motors at the front from its kinetic energy. This additional power is available to the driver after each charge process for approximately 6 - 8 seconds.

Energy formerly converted – and thus wasted – into heat upon every application of the brakes, is now highly efficiently converted into additional drive power.

Depending on racing conditions, hybrid drive is used in this case not only for extra power, but also to save fuel. This again increases the efficiency and, accordingly, the performance of the 911 GT3 R Hybrid, for example by reducing the weight of the tank or making pitstops less frequent.

After its debut in Geneva the 911 GT3 R Hybrid will be tested in long-distance races on the Nürburgring. The highlight of this test programme will be the 24 Hours on the Nordschleife of Nürburgring on May 15th and 16th. The focus is not on the 911 GT3 R Hybrid winning the race, but rather serving as a spearhead in technology and a “racing laboratory” providing know-how on the subsequent use of hybrid technology in road-going sports cars.

The 911 GT3 R Hybrid is a perfect example of the Porsche Intelligent Performance philosophy, a principle to be found in every Porsche: More power on less fuel, more efficiency and lower CO2 emissions – on the track and on the road.
Attached Images    
Old 02-11-2010 | 09:04 AM
Christien
Race Car

Wow, that's really cool! Who knows, it may never really work in competition, but it's this kind of innovative thinking that keeps Porsche ahead of the game.

What kind of power is 60 or 120 kW? Is there a hp equivalent?
Old 02-11-2010 | 09:59 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Looks wicked. Guess they may win the least amount of fuel used for the race.
Old 02-11-2010 | 10:48 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Nice to look at, but outa my league.
Old 02-11-2010 | 11:00 AM
9 lives
Pro

It'll be interesting to see just how competitive this car will be due to both the hybrid add-ons and the subsequent additional weight....that and the question of reliabilty. Good for them though. I think this is exactly the step that racing should be going towards.
Old 02-11-2010 | 11:17 AM
michel944
Pro

Holly ****! I looked at my calendar to make sure it wasn't april's fool !!!
Old 02-12-2010 | 03:03 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

I found the other piece to this story.

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...ml#post7306224
Old 02-13-2010 | 11:54 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

that is wild - but not sure I'd want to change suddenly to going down a steep grade in a hurry with that 40 krpm flywheel spinning - the gyro effects gonna make the car want to flip over sideways ...

GT3 R Hydrids won't make it through the Corkscrew in one piece !

Or not ...

Very cool technology ...
Old 02-15-2010 | 02:29 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

I just don't get it.....increased cost, weight, complexity, maintenance, huge depreciation. Guess there's some PR value in it. I wouldn't touch a hybrid with a 10 foot pole.
Old 02-15-2010 | 09:26 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Ronnie, not sure you (or any of us) could touch THIS hybrid if you tried

Quick Reply: It's here: 911 GT3 R Hybrid