Notices

need help with car's title

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:56 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation need help with car's title

Ok so here's the deal. I got a copy of the title on the car from the seller.

He purchased it in June, and decided not to register it. he had seconds thoughts (confirmed this by digging up his posts on another message board)

The title has the name of the previous owner on the front of it. On the back is the assignment of title to new owner (ie my seller). For it to be registed in Texas (where he lives) he was supposed to register it within 20 days.. or pay some small 10$ penalty .

He wants to endorse the back and "assign it" to me, but texas DOT says he can't do that. But then again, what does texas DOT matter? Will Ontario accept this? Any ideas? Ill call tomorrow of course...

I REALLY dont want to pay, actually physically own the car and not be able to register it.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:03 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...rgoutcan.shtml

"The original copy of the vehicle registration permit in your name. If the permit is not in your name, a signed Bill of Sale describing the vehicle fully from the seller to you is also required. If you have a Certificate of Title in your name and wish to keep it, you must provide a legible photocopy of the title with the original. The licence office will view the original title, keep the photocopy and return the original to you at the same time. The ministry does not mail back titles to applicants. Make sure you collect your title before you leave the licence office."

I think I am ok. Still would like opinions.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

No mto won't take it. You need 2 bills of sale from seller 1 to 2, then 2 to you.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:07 PM
iJeremy
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went through this the other way around here in the states and it was a lengthy headache... It was on a motorcycle title and eventually he HAD to get the bike registered in his name, pay the back fees and legally sign the title over before it could be clean, clear and in my name... There was simply no other way around it without claiming it as a reposession or something similar, which would then show up on the title for the life of the vehicle. Of course that's our laws here in the States... Not sure what you'll have to go through up there. Best of luck.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:17 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

I have a copy of the bill of sale from the original owner to the my seller ( David).
And a copy of the payment.

Is that enough?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Title

Originally Posted by hoffa
I have a copy of the bill of sale from the original owner to the my seller ( David).
And a copy of the payment.

Is that enough?
In Ontario this is called "curb siding". Basically a dealer pretending to be a private seller.

You must have the vehicle registered to the guy you are buying from. Do not take any letters or promises. The only way I would take the ownership from the previous owner(with picture ID) is if he obtained a new ownership at the Texas MTO with you present and signed a contract with you directly. Why is the seller afraid to put it in his name?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:57 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Speedyellow993,

If what you are saying is correct, it looks like I am out of luck (out a couple hundred for flight & PPI).

The story goes that he bought it, and then it basically sat in the drive way unused. So he decided he wanted to sell it. Thus, he didnt want to register it and pay taxes. It sounds reasonable, but its causing issues.

Ill double check with the MTO tomorrow morning. Christien's case was with dealers, so I would guess that is a bit different.

thanks guys!

Happy thanksgiving
Old 10-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you buying from a dealer?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:29 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

No, private sale.

Just negotiating with the guy now to see if he will register it to get the clear title. Ill keep everyone posted.

Thanks everyone for your help. This site is awesome
Old 10-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

don't play his games. you need a contract from the person who the car is registered to. anything else is not accepted at canada customs or RIV. don't waste your time, tell him to register it or no deal. good luck.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:53 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 681 Likes on 451 Posts

Dan is correct...you can be stopped by US Customs when you go in to get your title stamped, Canadian Customs when you try to bring the car into Canada, and the MOT when you try and register the car. Moreover, Canada Customs often calls the registered owner of the car to confirm who the car was sold to and the selling price before clearing you to enter Canada....don't ask me how I know
Old 10-13-2009, 03:37 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

here is an update:

MTO doesn’t care. they said as long as you have the title and a bill of sale, and the signatures match, its all good.

The Canadian Customs border agent i spoke to say, didn’t say no, but said this would definitely raise some red flags and it wasn't worth the headache/risks.

I've spoken to the seller, he needs to make the decision whether he will get a clean title.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

What MTO was saying was that you need title and bill of sale but if title isn't in the same name as the bill of sale, it's no good.

If MTO will transfer title with 2 bills of sale, then you can always get title before you actually import the car, and thus avoid hassles at the border (car will already be in your name). The problem there is you'll have to have the title transferred unfit (because it won't yet have an Ont. safety) and you'll therefore have to trailer it across. Still, an option.

Another option may be to contact the person your seller bought it from, and get a bill of sale from them directly to you. Leave him out of it altogether, at least on paper.

I think having the seller get the title into his name is definitely the best way to go. If he refuses or offers excuses, there might be more to the story. And really, is it *that* good of a deal?
Old 10-13-2009, 05:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

man this has red flags all over it ...
Old 10-13-2009, 06:03 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

It sure does.

Waiting on the PPI results, and will only proceed if he registers and then sells me with clean title.

sad, been searching for so long!

Quick Reply: need help with car's title