Notices

Got smacked by a Dump Truck!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Jagsiva
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got smacked by a Dump Truck!!

What are the bloody chances - sitting at a red light sipping my double chocolate-chip Frappacino, got smacked in the back by a dump truck. It was high enough that most of the damage was to the rear deck/spoiler and not to the engine compartment. Also cracked the rear tail-light.

Anyway, car's off to Prochilo Bros in Toronto, apparently they do most of the bodywork for DFC. Any thoughts?

I had a big fight with the Insurance company to take it to Toronto, as they were suggesting I go to "City Star Collision" in London!!! I finally had to have the insurance guy and 3 body shops on conference calls to convince the insurance guy that they could not handle the job!!.

WHAT A PITA!!! An i just waxed it!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 06:33 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

That sucks, sorry to hear about it. Look on the bright side, you walked away from it and your car will be fixed. Still sucks though.

-matt
Old 08-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Tell the manager that when you pick up the car it better be perfect cause you are going to look it over with a microscope and if it is not perfect the first time they will have to do it again.
most body shops do crap work until you complain. so if you tell them that they often will do an extra good job the first time. also most porsche owners here in Toronto couldn't tell a good job from a bad one.
good luck.
perhaps you could ask them to match the thickness of the paint? also be sure to photograph the damage so you could show it when selling down the road.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:37 PM
PALETTE
Racer

oooocccccchhhhhhhh !!!! well at least the bodyshop is good!
Old 08-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Jagsiva
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Tell the manager that when you pick up the car it better be perfect cause you are going to look it over with a microscope and if it is not perfect the first time they will have to do it again.
most body shops do crap work until you complain. so if you tell them that they often will do an extra good job the first time. also most porsche owners here in Toronto couldn't tell a good job from a bad one.
good luck.
perhaps you could ask them to match the thickness of the paint? also be sure to photograph the damage so you could show it when selling down the road.

Thanks Dan. I am actually going down on Monday to discuss what parts are being replaced vs. repaired. Guy i spoke to there was Santo, and seemed reasonable.

Jag
Old 08-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

we supplied parts to porchillo bros. when they needed jap stuff fixed.
they're pretty good. i've never heard any real horrror stories
Old 08-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Jagsiva
Instructor

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
we supplied parts to porchillo bros. when they needed jap stuff fixed.
they're pretty good. i've never heard any real horrror stories
Thanks Omar. i also spoke to the service guys at DFC, and they had good things to say. Santo also told me that they would send the car to DFC once they are done for a full checkup and roadtest.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:11 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagsiva
What are the bloody chances - sitting at a red light sipping my double chocolate-chip Frappacino, got smacked in the back by a dump truck. It was high enough that most of the damage was to the rear deck/spoiler and not to the engine compartment. Also cracked the rear tail-light.

Anyway, car's off to Prochilo Bros in Toronto, apparently they do most of the bodywork for DFC. Any thoughts?

I had a big fight with the Insurance company to take it to Toronto, as they were suggesting I go to "City Star Collision" in London!!! I finally had to have the insurance guy and 3 body shops on conference calls to convince the insurance guy that they could not handle the job!!.

WHAT A PITA!!! An i just waxed it!!!
Sorry to hear that Jag. Cars can be fixed, as long as everyone is OK.
In the interim if you need a speed fix come to TO for the next meet, I'll take you for a ride.

Eshel
Old 08-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Jagsiva
Instructor

Originally Posted by TurboS
Sorry to hear that Jag. Cars can be fixed, as long as everyone is OK.
In the interim if you need a speed fix come to TO for the next meet, I'll take you for a ride.

Eshel

Thanks Eshel. I feel so wronged as is, but you're right.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:23 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Does your insurance cover diminished value due to the accident?

It clearly wasn't your fault but it will still remain on the car's title.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:43 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

At least your no body was hurt, Once its repaired properly the bad taste you have well eventually go away.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:43 AM
plz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldn't it be the dump trucks ins that covers dim value?
Old 08-10-2008, 02:47 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Maybe they can repace the decklid with a new one. do you have any pics?
and as Eshel said, cars can be fixed and it is a PITA but at least no one got hurt which would really suck.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:48 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Pfaff Autowerks also does a great job in the body work department, and all they do are Porsche and Audi cars.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Jagsiva
Instructor

Oh yeah, the rear deck and spoiler assembly will have to be replaced. It was in little bits, so cannot be replaced. Luckily, the budy and engine compartment only had minor nicks, mosly from the rear deck being pushed it. Also, the rear deck is fibreglass, did not realise this. Likely why the damage was not too bad.

My only question is the bumper. There is not any visible damage, but I would prefer they replaced it. I'll find out tomorrow when i go to the shop.

I also want them to check all the rotors (ceramic), ABS, PSM and alignment. I was on the brakes and in neutral, so likely no issues with the transmission.

Jag

Quick Reply: Got smacked by a Dump Truck!!