Notices

Street Racing - where's or who's the root of the problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Street Racing - where's or who's the root of the problem

I'm sure you've heard or read some where in the past week about street racing and what the government should do about it. There have been a few too many cases in the past month and it seems to be a hot topic for discussion.
The floor is open so speak your mind and PLEASE do not be politically correct, that never solves any problems.

Remember - Street Racing, Not Spirited Driving

Inpounding their moded Cars - what it the car was stock?
Surveillance Cameras - does'nt work
Murder Sentence if death is caused
Parents should take some responsibility
Old 07-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Good question. This should be an interesting discussion. I know what they're proposing to do won't solve the problem - stricter speeding tickets, other drivers calling *OPP, photo radar, etc. Though I'm not sure I have a definitive answer, except for the obvious which is way more police, but that's not likely due to budgets.

I do question media reports, though, as to how much of this is true "fast and furious" racing, vs. just people going fast and not paying close enough attention.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Having a drag strip closer than 1.5 hours would certainly help.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've said it once and i will say it again: downsview airport...few hrs a night open up a runway for passes. sign detailed waivers saying no one is liable and let people run there just as if it were a street race: no expensive gear, don't even need to bother with timing lights, just get someone to stand between the cars and drop their hands.

....either that or make the 407 an unrestricted autobhan.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:11 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
i've said it once and i will say it again: downsview airport...few hrs a night open up a runway for passes. sign detailed waivers saying no one is liable and let people run there just as if it were a street race: no expensive gear, don't even need to bother with timing lights, just get someone to stand between the cars and drop their hands.

....either that or make the 407 an unrestricted autobhan.
Nice idea, if the courts would support it. Unfortunately, there are too many examples in other sports of people signing waivers, hurting themselves and then successfully suing.

Anyway, I think you're assuming that all street racers are misunderstood car enthusiasts. A lot of them are sociopaths who've chosen cars as their means of self expression. For them, traffic is part of the outlaw fun of it.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

^ good point on the last part. some of the people i've met at the various timmies scattered thruout our great nation should have their lisences pulled and an immediate dropkick to the sternum delivered post haste.

the only thing we can do is try to pull as many actual enthusiasts off the streets and let the cops take care of the other whackos behind the wheel.

however, blatant statements such as micheal bryant's "if your car looks like its being prepared for street racing, we will crush it" is nothing but stupid political posturing. I'll bet the contents of my right pocket that he doesn't know the difference between a race prepped car and a street racer car (differences being few and far between in a lot of cases). Innocent till proven guilty micheal, it's tucked in there somewhere in between all that constitutional jibberish. When's he up for re-election anyhow?
Old 07-04-2007, 02:32 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by DeAd-EyE
however, blatant statements such as micheal bryant's "if your car looks like its being prepared for street racing, we will crush it" is nothing but stupid political posturing.
True dat. Essentially, it asks the cop to infer driver intent from the apparent purpose of the vehicle. On that basis, everyone on this board would be guilty. Ridiculous. I hate it when authority uses fear as an excuse for more authority.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:33 PM
PPo
Drifting

The best way to solve this so called problem is to find better topics for the Media to exploit. I suggest cocaine usage in the upper management of Canada's most trusted companies with a side of the daily Mistress and Dominatrix visits in the afternoon of expensive downtown Hotels. Any other suggestions?

Everybody knows that you can't race stock street cars. You need power robbing exhaust and heavy wings and stereos to race on the street. You just can't take your parents car and go racing... it doesn't work like that! Silly people...
Old 07-04-2007, 03:15 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

It's a complex problem that starts at the very beginning of how car ownership and driving privileges are viewed in North America. First off: it's way too easy to get a driver's license in this province even with the graduated licensing system. A G1 is a joke to get; you need mostly a pulse and the ability to memorize the driver's handbook to pass the multiple choice exam; no road test is required and then you can drive for up to 5 years as long as a adult licensed driver is with you. You don't even have to enroll in driver's training and 1 year later you can go and do your road test to get your G2, which then gives you access to 400-series highways and almost unrestricted use of the roads. Wait another year, do another test and presto! you are a full fledged G license holder! Where is the mandatory driver's education!
2nd part: speed limits set by politicians trying to play to insurance companies and municipalities trying to enrich their coffers and not in the interest of moving vehicles safely and efficiently across this vast land. Instead of trying to enforce such artificially low highway limits, more education and enforcement should be directed at true violations: following too closely, weaving, passing on the right, obstructing the left passing lane, cellphone use while driving, etc...
3rd: limiting the size and power of the vehicle you can drive with a basic license. Right now: any teenagers with deep pockets can buy himself whatever 300+HP sports car or SUV Behemoth he or she wants after having "trained" on mom's Toyota Yaris! Let's divide passenger vehicles into size and power categories and before you can operate something more powerful or larger than your license level allows, you'd be required to get "checked out" or certified on that category of vehicle.
Long rant but, let's start treating driving as it is in many EU countries which is as a privilege requiring skills and training and not as a birthright (by citizens) and a vice (by governments).
Crushing cars, banning the sale of performance parts, indiscriminately identifying modified vehicles as "street racers" is draconian in that it punishes many for the sins of the few.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldn't agree more that better driver training could only help. I wonder about the extent to which street racing has become increasingly associated with a kind of "outlaw/in-crowd" mentality. It's cool.

I read an article today that talks about attempts to make street racing less a norm, less cool, and I think that's likely a good approach. Smoking used to be cool, now it's not...its image has changed. I guess Paul Tracy, for example, has participated in an advertising campaign trying to change the image of street racers. I think it's a good idea...having "real" drivers heap scorn on the idiots who place us all at risk. Those of us who are involved in clubs and other track outings can play a part in this by stressing safety, responsibility, and real driving skill.

So, yeah, make tracks more accessible for those who want to really drive well, and send the message that hammering the tall pedal at ridiculous places has nothing to do with driving skill.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Another problem with tracks though, although less so now than before, is cops who camp outside the track and hand out a bunch of tickets. Doesn't really effect any of us, but non of us are street racers who they're trying to take off the streets. Most of the tickets don't stick and just waste time and effort to fight. If i was some kid who just finshed loading his car up with expensive Mugen and Spoon parts, I'd be right proper pissed if the baconbits told me to goto the track and then gave me 500$ in tickets that will cost me a day off work to fight when i got there.

(Aside: what the hell is with cops who hand out tickets they know they know won't stick. They basically have a lisence to waste our time. )
Old 07-04-2007, 04:48 PM
BruceP
Drifting

What do they ticket you for?

Been a long time since my Solo days. We didn't used to get hassled, as long as we took the numbers off the car and didn't speed 'til we got to the 401....
Old 07-04-2007, 04:55 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 213 Posts

As they say "you can't teach common sense".
It's the weaving through traffic going much faster than everyone else that seems to be causing all accidents right now.
People don't expect other cars to be doing 100kmh more than they are and they shouldn't have to.
I can't see how you can compare these idiots to "car enthusiests".
Old 07-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pongobaz
It's a complex problem that starts at the very beginning of how car ownership and driving privileges are viewed in North America. First off: it's way too easy to get a driver's license in this province even with the graduated licensing system. A G1 is a joke to get; you need mostly a pulse and the ability to memorize the driver's handbook to pass the multiple choice exam; no road test is required and then you can drive for up to 5 years as long as a adult licensed driver is with you. You don't even have to enroll in driver's training and 1 year later you can go and do your road test to get your G2, which then gives you access to 400-series highways and almost unrestricted use of the roads. Wait another year, do another test and presto! you are a full fledged G license holder! Where is the mandatory driver's education!
2nd part: speed limits set by politicians trying to play to insurance companies and municipalities trying to enrich their coffers and not in the interest of moving vehicles safely and efficiently across this vast land. Instead of trying to enforce such artificially low highway limits, more education and enforcement should be directed at true violations: following too closely, weaving, passing on the right, obstructing the left passing lane, cellphone use while driving, etc...
3rd: limiting the size and power of the vehicle you can drive with a basic license. Right now: any teenagers with deep pockets can buy himself whatever 300+HP sports car or SUV Behemoth he or she wants after having "trained" on mom's Toyota Yaris! Let's divide passenger vehicles into size and power categories and before you can operate something more powerful or larger than your license level allows, you'd be required to get "checked out" or certified on that category of vehicle.
Long rant but, let's start treating driving as it is in many EU countries which is as a privilege requiring skills and training and not as a birthright (by citizens) and a vice (by governments).
Crushing cars, banning the sale of performance parts, indiscriminately identifying modified vehicles as "street racers" is draconian in that it punishes many for the sins of the few.

Well said, cars don't kill people, bad and reckless drivers do. By confiscating their ride is not gonna stop them from racing again. Get to the root of the problem...good parenting and education for young drivers will be a good start.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:04 PM
PPo
Drifting

I thought I saw that recently that Transport Trucks in Ontario will need to have a limiter installed that will allow them to go a maximum of 105 km/h. Cool!

This past week I saw three idiot Porsche drivers doing stupid things in thier cars... not only excessive speed (160+ km/h on Allen/Dufferin south of Finch!) but also driving around a car that has legitimatly stopped at a flashing cross walk and driving on the shoulder of the highway to speed by all the traffic. Why is street racing worse? I don't think it is...

Quick Reply: Street Racing - where's or who's the root of the problem