Notices

FS: 1995 Porsche Carrera 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 09:51 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad to hear that there's no war....

I have driven many 911's including the 996, 996TT and the 997S...There is no debate that the 996 and 997's are better than a 993 hands down...They are more comfortable and easier to drive fast outta the box....Why I like the 993, it's the feel...It feels more communicative as to what it's doing, the lack of electronic aids except for ABS and you have to work to be fast in it....When I come back into the fold, it will be in a 996 GT3....again another car that has great feel and limited electronic aids and fun to drive and yes, light years ahead of the 993 but more a progression of the 993 IMHO...

Old 10-24-2006, 10:10 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
maybe this will clear it??
uh...no! Well maybe if you photoshop out the one in the middle wearing the banana hamock.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:49 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pongobaz
uh...no! Well maybe if you photoshop out the one in the middle wearing the banana hamock.
dont hate the player hate the game
Old 10-24-2006, 10:51 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Conekilr
Glad to hear that there's no war....

I have driven many 911's including the 996, 996TT and the 997S...There is no debate that the 996 and 997's are better than a 993 hands down...They are more comfortable and easier to drive fast outta the box....Why I like the 993, it's the feel...It feels more communicative as to what it's doing, the lack of electronic aids except for ABS and you have to work to be fast in it....When I come back into the fold, it will be in a 996 GT3....again another car that has great feel and limited electronic aids and fun to drive and yes, light years ahead of the 993 but more a progression of the 993 IMHO...

honestly GT3 is very easy to drive....loved my gt3 but it wasnt a huge difference from 996 or 997. just more revs and power. new porsches all feel very similar
Old 10-25-2006, 03:58 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 306 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
The 993's really hold their value.
A 2001 996 is on the UCR website with 78Km for 52,900.
I was just saying, but I knew it would get you guys going.

It all comes down to what you want in a car.
You drive an older car, a new car drives you.
It's what the general population wants.
Driving a new Porsche on the track is comparable to a video game.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:56 PM
rebe1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad comparison, as even Jenifer Aniston 10 years younger wouldn't compare to Alba. Maybe Vanessa Marcil 10 years younger...

Originally Posted by PierreTT
Like comparing Jessica Alba and Jeniffer Anniston... +-10 years difference. I wonder witch one I'd choose...
Agreed too... 996 and 997 are faster and better... but I like my 993 more. I'm an emotional guy
No flames, just opinions.
Pierre
Old 10-25-2006, 06:35 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rebe1
Bad comparison, as even Jenifer Aniston 10 years younger wouldn't compare to Alba. Maybe Vanessa Marcil 10 years younger...
But then again having all three of these ladies (at the same time!) would be fun too...just like a 993, 996 and 997!
Old 10-25-2006, 08:03 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

I'm up for that .... literally ...
Old 10-26-2006, 01:32 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 306 Likes on 210 Posts

But then again having all three of these ladies (at the same time!) would be fun too...just like a 993, 996 and 997!
You can't drive 3 cars at once, but you can ....... at the same time.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:04 PM
rebe1
Racer

That's true, but one of those ladies, I mean cars, will be getting sloppy thirds.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:53 PM
speed12sil
Advanced

do you want your 10 year old computer or cellphone back?
10 years old anything aint better than new unless its wine and sometimes those suck too.
I'm not quite up to date with the latest cellphone technology, but my 2004 cellphone that I bought new(a Siemens, can't remember the model) frequently crashed for no apparent reason, EVEN when powering down. I did not update the firmware or whatever btw. My 10 years old cellphone that is ancient NEVER hung when powering up or down. Oh and the ancient cellphone has 7 DAYS of standby whereas my 2k4 has only ~2 days, and whoopee shrinks down to a few hours if it's not in power saving mode. How's that for new cellphone tech?

Somethings are just built BETTER(as in will last a long time) 10+ years ago, so it's not such a good idea to make a blanket statement like that...

If the statement about <10 yr things are all better is true, then kids less than 10 are better than us
Old 10-27-2006, 09:45 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by speed12sil
I'm not quite up to date with the latest cellphone technology, but my 2004 cellphone that I bought new(a Siemens, can't remember the model) frequently crashed for no apparent reason, EVEN when powering down. I did not update the firmware or whatever btw. My 10 years old cellphone that is ancient NEVER hung when powering up or down. Oh and the ancient cellphone has 7 DAYS of standby whereas my 2k4 has only ~2 days, and whoopee shrinks down to a few hours if it's not in power saving mode. How's that for new cellphone tech?

Somethings are just built BETTER(as in will last a long time) 10+ years ago, so it's not such a good idea to make a blanket statement like that...

If the statement about <10 yr things are all better is true, then kids less than 10 are better than us
you are living in lala land. battery technology and cell phone technology have moved way forward in the last 2 years let alone 10 years.you either have a defective product or......?
and the kid anaolgy makes no sense. you like old crap thats fine but dont debate that its better.
Is this the phone you like? do you talk on it wearing jordache jeans?
Old 10-27-2006, 09:50 AM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

and please read this:

First Generation Cellular
Main article: 1G
The first hand held mobile phone to become commercially available was the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X, which received approval in 1983. Mobile phones began to proliferate through the 1980s with the introduction of "cellular" phones based on cellular networks with multiple base stations located relatively close to each other, and protocols for the automated "handover" between two cells when a phone moved from one cell to the other. At this time analog transmission was in use in all systems. Mobile phones were somewhat larger than current ones, and at first, all were designed for permanent installation in cars (hence the term car phone). In Switzerland, the name for the big car-based phone models was "Nationales Autotelefon", and the abbreviation of it ("Natel") persists as the common designation for mobile phones. Soon, some of these bulky units were converted for use as "transportable" phones the size of a briefcase. Motorola introduced the first truly portable, hand held phone. These systems (NMT, AMPS, TACS, RTMI, C-Netz, and Radiocom 2000) later became known as first generation (1G) mobile phones.

In September 1981 the first cell phone network with automatic roaming was started in Saudi Arabia; it was an NMT system manufactured by Svenska Radio Aktiebolaget (SRA). One month later the Nordic countries started an NMT network with automatic roaming between countries.

[edit] Second Generation Cellular
Main articles: 2G, 2.5G, and 2.75G
In the 1990s, second generation (2G) mobile phone systems such as GSM, IS-136 ("TDMA"), iDEN and IS-95 ("CDMA") began to be introduced. The first digital cellular phone call was made in the United States in 1990, in 1991 the first GSM network opened in Europe. 2G phone systems were characterised by digital circuit switched transmission and the introduction of advanced and fast phone to network signalling. In general the frequencies used by 2G systems in Europe were higher though with some overlap, for example the 900 MHz frequency range was used for both 1G and 2G systems in Europe and so such 1G systems were rapidly closed down to make space for 2G systems. In America the IS-54 standard was deployed in the same band as AMPS and displaced some of the existing analog channels.

Coinciding with the introduction of 2G systems was a trend away from the larger "brick" phones toward tiny 100–200g hand-held devices, which soon became the norm. This change was possible through technological improvements such as more advanced batteries and more energy-efficient electronics, but also was largely related to the higher density of cellular sites caused by increasing usage levels.

[edit] Third Generation Cellular
Main article: 3G
Not long after the introduction of 2G networks, projects began to develop 3G systems. Inevitably there were many different standards with different contenders pushing their own technologies. Quite differently from 2G systems, however, the meaning of 3G has been standardized in the IMT-2000 standardization processing. This process did not standardize on a technology, but rather on a set of requirements (2 Mbit/s maximum data rate indoors, 384 kbit/s outdoors, for example). At that point, the vision of a single unified worldwide standard broke down and several different standards have been introduced.

During the development of 3G systems, 2.5G systems such as CDMA2000 1x and GPRS were developed as extensions to existing 2G networks. These provide some of the features of 3G without fulfilling the promised high data rates or full range of multimedia services. For example, CDMA2000-1X delivers theoretical maximum data speeds of up to 307 kbit/s. Just beyond these is the EDGE system which in theory covers the requirements for a 3G system, but is so narrowly above these that any practical system would be sure to fall short.

At the beginning of the 21st century, 3G mobile phone systems such as UMTS and CDMA2000 1xEV-DO have now begun to be publicly available. The final success of these systems is still to be determined.

Live streaming of radio and television [4] to 3G handsets is one future direction for the industry, with companies from RealPlayer [5] and Disney [6] recently announcing services
Old 10-27-2006, 10:12 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

..... " But it comes with a shoulder strap....... "
Old 10-27-2006, 03:39 PM
speed12sil
Advanced

you are living in lala land. battery technology and cell phone technology have moved way forward in the last 2 years let alone 10 years.you either have a defective product or......?
and the kid anaolgy makes no sense. you like old crap thats fine but dont debate that its better.
Is this the phone you like? do you talk on it wearing jordache jeans?
Last time I checked that pic is a 1985 cellphone NOT 1996 cellphone LOL. It's great that ppl here still berate others for whatever reason

And by the way whether or not I choose to debate it's better is my right, not something that YOU have authority over. Just like I don't go prancing around telling you to correct your skewed view(I merely told you it's not a good idea, I didn't tell you to stop it now did I?)

Batter technology has improved that much better? Check this out:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11288_7-6634891-1.html

Yes there are a handful that have improved (ie nokia's 6030 spec calls for 12.5 days for standby) but then the majority aren't better, in fact some are WORSE.

You have your view that I like old crap and I think you shouldn't make such blanket statement(see how I don't look down on others??).
There, we agree to disagree.

Quick Reply: FS: 1995 Porsche Carrera 2