997 daily driver in Toronto?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 05:28 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 997 daily driver in Toronto?

I'm contemplating a move to Toronto and I'm curious if I could keep my 997 (c2) as a daily driver. I have a set of snows and used it all winter just outside of Manhattan. It's okay, not great, in the snow but I only used it for the 2 miles to and from the train station down here. Could it be a 30 minute commute car in Toronto or is there too much snow? I guess I could move to a c4 (older or new), but I'd rather not.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 05-14-2006, 06:03 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

It's possible. Toronto doesn't get nearly the snowfall we get up here, nor is it as cold, but there are some days that the C2 won't cut it. Why not just keep it and get a CRV or something for commuting?
Old 05-14-2006, 06:13 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Not a bad idea. I was thinking about buying a four wheel drive truck that I could use to trailer my SC to the track as well. I think a third car/truck and a trailer might be testing the limits of my marriage though.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:22 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Mine's a daily driver, mind you it's a C4S. But I was out test driving 997 C2S' at the dealer in the middle of winter and they just ran them with snow tires. Crazy Canuck is right, I've lived here for 20 years and the winters are pretty mild compared to my old hometown of Montreal. I can count on my hands the number of days you wouldn't want to be out in your p-car or any other low sportscar for that matter. IMHO, it's a shame to have such a great car and not drive it as much as possible. My advice is: powerwash the underside once a week in winter (did that with my CLK) and the car will look prisitine for many years. I'm lucky because the building where my health club is located, has a great detailer in the garage that washes my car inside and out for $35 while I'm working out.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:32 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

On top, may I suggest than the salt is no good for Porsche. First because of rust potential and second because a big chunk of salt flying at highway speed against your bumper/winshield/rear wings can be pretty damaging. Better off buying a third car (4WD, but not really mandatory for strictly Toronto metro driving) for November - April driving.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:48 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by AM993
On top, may I suggest than the salt is no good for Porsche. First because of rust potential and second because a big chunk of salt flying at highway speed against your bumper/winshield/rear wings can be pretty damaging. Better off buying a third car (4WD, but not really mandatory for strictly Toronto metro driving) for November - April driving.
I agree that road salt is awful in Ontario and really damages cars. You can really notice what cars are winter driven and those that are not. Salt is a contributing reason why my car is stored in the winter and never driven - even on a clear day.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses. I don't mind the salt. I drove it all winter here and the salt is pretty heavy. My feeling is that I want to spend every day I can driving it. I'm more concerned about getting stuck in the snow.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 05-14-2006, 08:50 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Thanks for the responses. I don't mind the salt. I drove it all winter here and the salt is pretty heavy. My feeling is that I want to spend every day I can driving it. I'm more concerned about getting stuck in the snow.

Thanks,
Sean
What part of town are you moving to and where are you commuting? Some parts of the city have faster snow removal than others. Just so you know, if you're down closer to the lake, we get a lot less snow than up near the 401. On really bad days, cab it or better yet take the day off!
Old 05-14-2006, 11:11 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with snow tires you will never be stuck as long as you dont lower the car. either way most roads are plowed fast
Old 05-15-2006, 11:45 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with noble, I drive my C2 with no issues, granted my car is lowered but I have never been stuck.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:30 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by kilrgt
I agree with noble, I drive my C2 with no issues, granted my car is lowered but I have never been stuck.
i stand corrected and erected
Old 05-16-2006, 12:04 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pongobaz
What part of town are you moving to and where are you commuting? Some parts of the city have faster snow removal than others. Just so you know, if you're down closer to the lake, we get a lot less snow than up near the 401. On really bad days, cab it or better yet take the day off!

Not sure where yet. The office is in Mississauga. I'm going up this weekend to go around with a broker to look at areas. Any suggestions? I've heard places like Rosedale in the city and towns like Brampton and Oakville outside the city. I'm looking for a short commute in a nice town with great schools (or we'll do private schools in a nice area with bad schools). Price range is up to $1mm US. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 05-16-2006, 01:09 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Sean, I found myself in the same situation back in August last year. But with a broker, I guess you are in good hands.
Try also the lower part of Mississauga Road in Mississauga: very nice houses, lots of trees, great schools and short commute to "downtown Mississauga" (remember Mississauga is a very large suburb with 625,000 inhabitants and traffic is horendous in the GTA).
Old 05-16-2006, 02:08 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

you wont be happy commuting to misissauga from rosedale. look in oakville or port credit. very nice towns
Old 05-16-2006, 06:08 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

I agree with Noble: Rosedale is beautiful, but a PITA to commute to Mississauga. Port Credit (some really great neighborhoods there), Oakville: very nice(but I find it a little far to the downtown core if you like to be in the city for dinning, etc...), Also look at the Kingsway area (N of Bloor, Royal York to Park Lawn), it's one of my favorite areas close to city core and 'burbs, but it might be a little higher that $1mil US now for something decent. Too bad (for you) that the loonie is no longer the "Canuck peso" and that the exchange rate is pretty close to par. Also the further from the city center you are, the more space you'll get (think multi-car garages).

Quick Reply: 997 daily driver in Toronto?