Notices

Canadian Pricing is a little crazy!

Old 07-27-2005, 08:48 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys,

There have been success stories and horror shows surrounding cars bought in the USA. The price differential is most attractive on newer cars. I will exclude rare models which are purchased anywhere they can be found, someone who wants a real 914-6, a 904 or a 73RS will have more luck in the larger markets. What we're seeing here is a lot of trade in cars under warranty. Dealers in Canada have to honor the warranty, making a US car more attractive. On the other hand, some buyers have spent money to visit prospective cars only to find that they were not suitable. Time and money count. Cars bought here offer the buyer protection under Canadian laws whereas US sourced cars are strictly caveat emptor especially if purchased from an individual.

Locally, dealers will service the car, but local buyers get served first. This can mean waiting weeks for a service appointment. When it comes to warranty, no goodwill is extended - that alone can eliminate the price difference on say, a Boxster. Loaners? Fugettaboutit. Some have imported cars with no hassle at the border whereas others have suffered frustrating delays. Lastly trade in and/or resale values of US cars converted for Canadian use are lower. All in all the savings of buying in the US are not as attractive as it might seem at first glance.

YYC930 I will mention your GT2 to a friend who finds his GT3 lacking power.

Best,
Old 07-27-2005, 11:41 AM
infinii
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just adding my $0.02

YYC, all of your fears are justified but my question was more in regards to why you thought the value of the American car was lower than a Canadian car, *after* it had already been imported. My question made a few assumptions which I'll clarifiy here. The imported car in question is going to be in excellent condition as the buyer looking to do so is an enthusiast looking for a rare car so a poorly maintained car or a salvaged car isn't going to cut it. I don't disagree with any of your comments regarding the history of a car but buying CDN doesn't really do much to guarantee that it was never in an accident, etc. If you or the shop doing the inspection don't have experience at looking at paint then you're not going to know if it was in an accident regardless of where the car comes from.

As to the warranty/servicing issues. I guess it's not an issue if we're talking about 10 yr old cars. I can't imagine any independent mechanic not wanting the business.

Speedometer? Yes it's an expensive part but doesn't the US one have km/h on it? Switching isn't required by law so that's up to the owner.

And then the dreaded fear of buying a car unseen and having it shipped over here only to find it was totally mis-represented. Well, I've seen many a RL'er offer to go look at cars for fellow RL'ers. This kind of goodwill is one reason we all joined this community and the comradery found here is valuable in such a situation. I would never consider buying a car that I couldn't have a knowledgeable person look at in person for me.

That said, I do not pretend to know the idiosyncracies of your business and I'm sure you didnt' get to where you are today by not knowing how these things work. Maybe our thoughts on the subject differ b/c we're looking at it from different perspectives. Me, I'm considering the US market b/c there aren't alot of 993's here...within my budget

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Cars bought here offer the buyer protection under Canadian laws whereas US sourced cars are strictly caveat emptor especially if purchased from an individual.
As long as the title is clear and there are no liens against the car, there isn't much difference IMO. In order to get the car out of the US and into Canada, the paperwork assures the buyer that there are no title problems. I would say your comment is correct as it pertains to newer cars but this thread was about a 993 specifically so I can't see what protection laws still exist for an 8yr old car.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Infinii - I agree and yes, my comments were meant for newer cars. That seems to be where the action is around here and the dealers are not too pleased about it. It makes selling used cars more difficult or to look at it another way, when someone goes to trade in his 3 year old (whatever) against a new model, the price of the trade in is undermined and the customer feels his Porsche has depreciated as badly as a domestic. The dealer doesn't benefit from this since the wholesale price he pays for new cars is also inflated.

Rgds,
Old 07-27-2005, 03:21 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get me wrong guys....I never said that there was anything wrong with US cars.....what I said was that the perception in the marketplace amongst the majority of buyers regarding US cars is the problem. Those are two very distinct and different things. Reality is often not the accepted perception in the marketplace....thus my comments. Once converted over the two cars are the same....correct ? That little fact doesn't matter 75% of the time at all however.........as buyers just won't bother looking at a US car unless it is less money. I never said it made sense.....I'm just stating what I have seen in the business over time.

As to protecting business I am not doing that at all......there are enough buyers for the good CAD cars out there that I find, so that the last thing I am going to do is go south looking for cars.....like I said before.....go fill your boots if it makes you feel good. No offence taken at all.........

Having said all that.......to answer a question......how we verify cars haven't been hit......etc......is very easy. If you have a shop with two 25 year experienced Porsche mechanics and you have been selling these cars for 17 years you know what to look for and where to look....but also...you can (as a dealer) pull a comprehensive report from a company in Canada called CARPROOF which searchs over 35 million insurance industry database records, as well as all provincial registry and licensing database records, amongst a host of other areas, all provincial liens, RIV...etc....as a starting point. It's a new company that just started operation in Canada and is set up for dealers as well as private buyers (who get a smaller less detailed report for less money).

Thanks for mentioning my GT2 Bob.......

Last edited by YYC930; 07-27-2005 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:50 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a buyer's perspective:
My 944 was made for US, I bought it in Ontario. I liked the car, nothing wrong with a 944 manufactured for the US market, the price was good so I bought it.
Then again, my opinion is not representative as I'm not into buying expensive cars as of now :-), and resale value was not my priority.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:59 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One word: Selection

That's why I shopped & bought in the US & imported. In the 6 months that I seriously shopped, only 2 or 3 Cabs were for sale in Canada. The local one I saw & drove (still for sale) was a hunk of junk. In the US, I had my pick of many - different colours, conditions, pricing etc.

By the time you ship it, import, pay tax on it & fix the issues (there are always some issues) your savings is toast. Of course, the CDN car (sourced from dealer or private) would have issues too . . . they always do . . . so price tends to equalise.

Ian

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Canadian Pricing is a little crazy!