Why Must People Prentend 2 Have GT3's

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 09:56 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Must People Prentend 2 Have GT3's

Yes, the GT3 is arguably the ultimate porsche but any porsche is good...i'd figure that once you pass the level of honda, ford, bmw, benz, that people would stop puting fake badges on their cars =/

Comming home tonight i see what from far appears to be a Mk1 GT3... Speed Yellow, Black Aftermarket Rims, Tinted Windows...a very very nice car. The only thing that gave it away was: 1) The Mk1 996 GT3 was never sold in North America (correct me if i'm wrong) 2) the little kid sitting in the seat behind the driver....where there supposed to be no seat ...

If you're going to rebadge you're car...at least bring it upto spec...end rant.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:50 PM
wormdoggy
Instructor

IMHO , I don't mind subtle changes to a Porsche but in all cases the car pretty much stands on it's own. That's the beauty of owning a Porsche.

Cheers and safe driving.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:26 PM
yongster
Racer

It happens all the time. Rebadged Mercedes, BMWs, and my dealer told me of many Cayenne and Cayenne S with turbo badges (turbo bumper, even had the dual exhaust end pipes installed; however no red brake calipers.). To each his/her own I guess.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:53 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Dead-Eye/Yongster, how do we know YOUR GT3's are real? I haven't seen either of you at the track this year (Mosport/Shannonville/Dunnville). That's the only way to tell for sure!
Old 10-28-2004, 11:56 AM
yongster
Racer

I went to Dunnville with Jason, and you wouldn't let me come to your Dunnville day. I didn't see you at Mosport last year at Dexter day either. Maybe your GT3 isn't real. Maybe next year.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fryd
Dead-Eye/Yongster, how do we know YOUR GT3's are real? I haven't seen either of you at the track this year (Mosport/Shannonville/Dunnville). That's the only way to tell for sure!
the way to tell that my GT3 isn't real..is that i don't own a GT3..the car in my sig is just a really nice lookin GT3 i siged...it's not mine ...
Old 10-28-2004, 12:28 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't see the point, GT3s are great but so is any 911. Now putting on a GT2 badge is being really big poser not that a person putting on a GT3 badge isn't.
Most ordinary people don't know the difference between the models anyways. Most don't know the engine is in the rear or its a flat 6. Some even mistake reading carrera with camaro.
Now the Cayenne Turbo poser gets a lot of respect from people because most people know the Cayenne Turbo is a 125+ SUV but don't know enough to be able to tell the difference from the real one.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:29 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Let's set the record straight here Yongster:

1. I got my GT3 in August and have been on the track 10x since then, including Dexter. If you got yours last year and were on the track, you must be in small company in Canada given that the first delivery I know of was Martin Tekela, who got his in November 2003.
2. As for Dunnville, I told you that you could sign up and pay like everyone else IN ADVANCE, but that I wasn't going to take "just show-ups". I would have loved to have you there, but since I'm not in the business of organizing these days, didn't want the risk of not having enough people signed up and paid in advance.
3. And yes, the GT3 is real. You can see it with Courtney over the winter when it gets the RS overhaul which will put me light years ahead of JLJ!

As you say, maybe next year!
Old 10-28-2004, 12:32 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

3. And yes, the GT3 is real. You can see it with Courtney over the winter when it gets the RS overhaul which will put me light years ahead of JLJ!

As you say, maybe next year!
wow..i want see your car lap the track, must be awsome.
if you don't mind me asking, what does the RS overhaul consist of?
Old 10-28-2004, 12:39 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Lighter flywheel, full RS suspension, rear air scoop and wing. Maybe Cup car rotors and Pagid Orange pads, with Cup brake scoops too. Should be good for 1.30 at Mosport!
Old 10-28-2004, 05:04 PM
the_Wolf
Advanced

Originally Posted by jumper5836
....Now putting on a GT2 badge is being really big poser......
There is a guy in Prince Edward Island pulling this one. Funny thing is, he could afford any Porsche he wants (I hear he has a CGT on order). Just doesn't make sense to me, particularly in an area as small as PEI - like you're in a tooth and nail fight to differentiate yourself from all the other Porsche 996TTs in Charlottetown.

- John
Old 10-29-2004, 12:31 AM
JLJ

Lighter flywheel, full RS suspension, rear air scoop and wing. Maybe Cup car rotors and Pagid Orange pads, with Cup brake scoops too. Should be good for 1.30 at Mosport!

yeah it will do 1.30...if i borrow it. david..you will never win. i will upgrade the car and train and ice race and drive go karts all winter and you will be a sweaty second place as usual
Old 10-29-2004, 01:11 AM
yongster
Racer

David,

For the record, Richard got his black GT3 from Downtown Fine Cars in July 2003 (1st one to DFC), and I got mine from PFAFF in August 2003 (It was the 1st one delivered to PFAFF). Both cars sat in port in Baltimore since June 2003. (There is a long story behind that one involving my GT2 that never came). I had a bill of sale for the GT3 dated 1999 because I ordered the model 1 GT3 which never made it to NA., thus became the owner of the 1st model 2 GT3 delivered to PFAFF.

Jason was one of the 1st to see it, since I showed it to him shortly thereafter.

Good luck with your modifications. I'm holding off on major modifications since I use it as my daily driver also, and I'm waiting to see about the 997 GT3.

Last edited by yongster; 10-29-2004 at 01:26 AM.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:24 AM
JLJ

Originally Posted by yongster
David,

For the record, Richard got his black GT3 from Downtown Fine Cars in July 2003 (1st one to DFC), and I got mine from PFAFF in August 2003 (It was the 1st one delivered to PFAFF). Both cars sat in port in Baltimore since June 2003. (There is a long story behind that one involving my GT2 that never came). I had a bill of sale for the GT3 dated 1999 because I ordered the model 1 GT3 which never made it to NA., thus became the owner of the 1st model 2 GT3 delivered to PFAFF.

Jason was one of the 1st to see it, since I showed it to him shortly thereafter.

Good luck with your modifications. I'm holding off on major modifications since I use it as my daily driver also, and I'm waiting to see about the 997 GT3.
we need a good old fashioned duel to settle this!! handbags at 20 paces
Old 10-29-2004, 09:14 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Actually I saw a white Carrera with a GT3 badge on it, I never though to even look at it to see if its a real one.
This was back in June or July, it was near Argentia and Mississauga Rd in Mississauaga.

Quick Reply: Why Must People Prentend 2 Have GT3's