Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   CPO car must have work done at dealer? (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/1391161-cpo-car-must-have-work-done-at-dealer.html)

Cityfisher 01-22-2024 12:51 PM

CPO car must have work done at dealer?

Hi all,
Considering a 911 with 2.5 years of CPO left. Does all service need to be done at the dealer? ive read some posts in the 991 forum that it does NOT as long as receipts are kept, done at a reputable shop.
what about Brakes and Tires?

Adamant1971 01-22-2024 01:12 PM

Like any warranty, if you use the dealer things will be easier when you have a claim. If you don't build that relationship things can get harder when you have a claim. Pretty sure you need to do the scheduled maintenance with the dealer and keep receipts for anything else.

lowbee 01-22-2024 02:32 PM

If you do not have service done at the dealer, you will be charged all the back service fees if/when you want to buy extended warranty after your CPO is over. If you don't intend to buy extended warranty after CPO then there is no need to have service done at the dealer.

Vise 01-22-2024 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by lowbee (Post 19234353)
If you do not have service done at the dealer, you will be charged all the back service fees if/when you want to buy extended warranty after your CPO is over. If you don't intend to buy extended warranty after CPO then there is no need to have service done at the dealer.

Not entirely correct. If you don't have the service done at the dealer, they will require the vehicle be brought up to current service requirements before extending the CPO... which usually means getting a major service completed (ie. $3-4k). Perhaps that is what you meant but obviously they can't charge you for services previously completed elsewhere. Although knowing how some GTA dealers operate (Pfaff), I wouldn't be surprised if they did indeed try. :D

I would say from experience, if you have plans to extend the CPO (which I'd recommend in many/most cases) getting the normal service done at the dealer is the easier path. Depending on your service budget of course.

jp884 01-22-2024 08:42 PM

It makes it much easier to not have any issues for warranty purposes. Once the warranty is done and or CPO no reason to take your car into these stealerships any longer. Find a reputable shop from there forward to do the work.

Cityfisher 01-23-2024 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Adamant1971 (Post 19234192)
Like any warranty, if you use the dealer things will be easier when you have a claim. If you don't build that relationship things can get harder when you have a claim. Pretty sure you need to do the scheduled maintenance with the dealer and keep receipts for anything else.

Thanks Everyone!

Scheduled Maintenance I understand. Id suck it up and Pay the 700 oil change.

What about Brakes?
Ive been doing brakes on my cars for 15 years. Pcar isnt anything crazy. I could change all the pads in an hour.

How about Tires? I dont see how that would be required. any tire shop can swap a set of PS4 when needed.

Adamant1971 01-23-2024 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cityfisher (Post 19236718)
Thanks Everyone!

Scheduled Maintenance I understand. Id suck it up and Pay the 700 oil change.

What about Brakes?
Ive been doing brakes on my cars for 15 years. Pcar isnt anything crazy. I could change all the pads in an hour.

How about Tires? I dont see how that would be required. any tire shop can swap a set of PS4 when needed.

Wear items are generally not coveted so I would not worry. But let’s say you had an Indy do brakes. If a calliper failed after they will blame the Indy. But you can’t plan or worry about every scenario.

bcrdukes 01-24-2024 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Adamant1971 (Post 19237227)
But you can’t plan or worry about every scenario.

This.

I feel too much fear is instilled on forums based on negative reviews or posts of other members on this forum (or any forum for that matter.) It's always easier to post the negative than the positive. I'm still waiting for my IMS to explode and for my motor to grenade! :D

timothymoffat 01-24-2024 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 19237966)
This.

I feel too much fear is instilled on forums based on negative reviews or posts of other members on this forum (or any forum for that matter.) It's always easier to post the negative than the positive. I'm still waiting for my IMS to explode and for my motor to grenade! :D

This statement......every time.

According to RL if I searched hard enough my 993s should have needed a top end rebuild at 50K miles (they're still running strong to this day with no major engine work 16-18 years and MANY miles later), my 996.2 was a ticking timebomb destined to lead me to financial ruin, and the turbos and/or water pump on my current 991.2 will fail any day.

Cityfisher 01-24-2024 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Adamant1971 (Post 19237227)
Wear items are generally not coveted so I would not worry. But let’s say you had an Indy do brakes. If a calliper failed after they will blame the Indy. But you can’t plan or worry about every scenario.

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 19237966)
This.

Originally Posted by timothymoffat (Post 19238023)
This statement......every time.

According to RL if I searched hard enough my 993s should have needed a top end rebuild at 50K miles (they're still running strong to this day with no major engine work 16-18 years and MANY miles later), my 996.2 was a ticking timebomb destined to lead me to financial ruin, and the turbos and/or water pump on my current 991.2 will fail any day.

I agree with all of you!

I don't see how getting your tires changed or brakes done locally would affect the CPO. Just asking for some others experience with this.

InTgr8r 03-12-2024 10:12 AM

Thanks @Cityfisher for this thread.
I'm back into a Porsche but it's the first CPO for me.

I've always been a DIY guy, because I just enjoy getting personal with my cars.
I was definitely considering dealer service this time with a CPO car.
I appreciate the comments in this thread.

Curious what the courtesy car situation is like with Porsche?
With my DD BMWs it was like pulling teeth and waiting weeks...

Also, I purchased at PCNT but am my closer to Pfaff.
Is there much difference in service dealer to dealer?

Thanks guys!!

Cityfisher 03-12-2024 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by InTgr8r (Post 19327836)
Thanks @Cityfisher for this thread.
I'm back into a Porsche but it's the first CPO for me.

I've always been a DIY guy, because I just enjoy getting personal with my cars.
I was definitely considering dealer service this time with a CPO car.
I appreciate the comments in this thread.

Curious what the courtesy car situation is like with Porsche?
With my DD BMWs it was like pulling teeth and waiting weeks...

Also, I purchased at PCNT but am my closer to Pfaff.
Is there much difference in service dealer to dealer?

Thanks guys!!

Im also a DIY guy but appears thats frowned upon under CPO so that might have to wait!
book your service appointments well in advance and request a courtesy car rental for the day of service.
all dealers have differnt pricing so shop around.

I'll likely be going to PCNT in spring for an oil change, then just drive it!

theiceman 03-12-2024 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cityfisher (Post 19327869)
Im also a DIY guy but appears thats frowned upon under CPO so that might have to wait!
book your service appointments well in advance and request a courtesy car rental for the day of service.
all dealers have differnt pricing so shop around.

I'll likely be going to PCNT in spring for an oil change, then just drive it!

wow you actually have to rent them these days ??

i remember when it was just that .. a courtesy..

Cityfisher 03-12-2024 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by theiceman (Post 19328171)
wow you actually have to rent them these days ??

i remember when it was just that .. a courtesy..

sorry if u misunderstood, its still courtesy..ie free rental. Or was the last time I went in for service.

And it should be.. 800 oil changes are ridiculous

Onami 03-12-2024 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cityfisher (Post 19328206)
sorry if u misunderstood, its still courtesy..ie free rental. Or was the last time I went in for service.

And it should be.. 800 oil changes are ridiculous

PCO charges something like $20/day. I got a Cayenne last time I had my service done.