Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   Has anyone had a hip done at a private clinic in Canada? (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/1380624-has-anyone-had-a-hip-done-at-a-private-clinic-in-canada.html)

Jamie140 11-30-2023 07:53 PM

Has anyone had a hip done at a private clinic in Canada?

Going to need a new one soon,

recs?
warnings?
thoughts?

Feel free to pm.

Thanks.

RDMcG 11-30-2023 08:23 PM

Not in a private clinic but I had a replacement from a brilliant surgeon at St Mikes; Dr Amit Atrey. Full replacement, all arthroscopic, used an advanced technique by going through the muscle longitudinally rather than cutting it. No stitches, just a dab of glue. Walking on a walker in a day or so, and walking with no can in about three weeks.

You would need a referral from your GP. He has operated on a couple of my friends also, great results.

I am sure there are excellent private alternatives but in my case it was a bad fall and into emergency. I just lucked out on the surgeon. HE is also a professor of surgery I recall. Not an old man.

997turbocab 11-30-2023 09:01 PM

We go to Medcan. I assume if they don't do the surgeries themselves they have some pretty highly recommended Doctors that do. We know several other families that go there as well all that speak very highly of them.

reacp911 11-30-2023 09:20 PM

I got mine done at Ottawa General. Dr Kim. Make sure you get anterior, not posterior. With posterior you'll still be stumbling around 6 months later.

In my case, after 3 weeks my physiotherapist could not tell which hip was operated on. At 3 months I got knocked off my bicycle by some idiot in a mustang. No ill effects. After 6 months, I walked the last stages of the camino de santiago.

Posterior hip replacements are still done, but should be illegal.

BioBanker 12-01-2023 03:01 AM

Hips are getting really good outcomes these days. Knees, not as good.

Hips are wow, knees are ow! 🤣

Anakin Skywalker 12-01-2023 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jamie140 (Post 19142289)
Going to need a new one soon,

recs?
warnings?
thoughts?

Feel free to pm.

Thanks.

I have a lot of experience with this procedure as a patient.

I do not think private clinics in Canada offer hip replacements, but even if they did I would avoid it. If there are complications and you need a revision you want to be plugged into one of the big orthopaedic centers like St Mikes or London Health Sciences from the get go.

Many hospitals that do the surgery do it on a new procedure as a day patient. I think st mikes does that, as does North York. Ask your orthopod if they are replacing it from the front (day surgery and quick recovery) or from the back ( 3-4 days in hospital).

depending on your age and interest in post surgery sports may want a resurfacing and not a full femoral head replacement. St mikes does that but not all. I don’t think Holland does resurfacing. Ask your orthopod.

Atrey at St mikes is v good. Emile Schemitch at London is the guru. I’m sure there are loads of orthopods that are also excellent.

Outcomes tend to be excellent but not always. I treated mine like athletic competitions. Trained in advance, lost weight and worked hard on the recovery and it worked v well for me each time.

I know people who didn’t take it that seriously and did not recover as quickly or as completely.

Anakin Skywalker 12-01-2023 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by reacp911 (Post 19142481)
I got mine done at Ottawa General. Dr Kim. Make sure you get anterior, not posterior. With posterior you'll still be stumbling around 6 months later.

That was not my experience, but if need it again I’ll ask for the anterior procedure just to minimize hospital time.

reacp911 12-01-2023 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Anakin Skywalker (Post 19143018)
That was not my experience, but if need it again I’ll ask for the anterior procedure just to minimize hospital time.

Initially, I was going to do resurfacing. Dr Kim was one of the few doing it in canada. I changed my mind last minute when I found out the recovery with resurfacing was similar to posterior ( indeed, that was how they were doing it).

Recovery with anterior is nothing short of miraculous

wildcat077 12-01-2023 08:44 AM

I’m getting a full left knee reconstruction next Wednesday after falling off an airplane at work, it’s been a bit more than a year of waiting in the public system but i have a good surgeon.The healthcare system is slow in Quebec.
Many surgeons who are attached to hospitals also operate in the private system so it’s hard to make a comparison …
I hope they install a ceramic knee so i can still pass through the checkpoints at the airport without a search , don’t want to have to explain
to some of the overzealous agents why i set off the metal detector every time … lol

Cheers
Phil

moab 12-01-2023 09:19 AM

Wow, lots of geezers on here :roflmao:

992.Turbo.S 12-01-2023 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by moab (Post 19143129)

I have friends in their 50’s that have had hips done.

Lifestyle. Diet. Exercise.

Anakin Skywalker 12-01-2023 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by 992.Turbo.S (Post 19143615)
I have friends in their 50’s that have had hips done.

Lifestyle. Diet. Exercise.

Rheumatoid Arthritis is an auto immune disease, and therefore inherited. Can be that too.

Jamie140 12-01-2023 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by 997turbocab (Post 19142433)
We go to Medcan. I assume if they don't do the surgeries themselves they have some pretty highly recommended Doctors that do. We know several other families that go there as well all that speak very highly of them.

Medcan is my primary care provider. They can only refer.

Thanks for all the info dudes, very much appreciated. I might reach out to some of you privately.

Thanks again.

wildcat077 12-01-2023 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by moab (Post 19143129)

Hey Moab

No geezer stuff … seriously !
Ten years of competitive hockey, fifteen years of martial arts and too many years working for an airline wearing steel toe boots , it takes a toll on you !
I should have went to university and got a desk job instead … lol

Cheers
Phil

992.Turbo.S 12-01-2023 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Anakin Skywalker (Post 19143651)
Rheumatoid Arthritis is an auto immune disease, and therefore inherited. Can be that too.

Auto immune is from poor diet and too much bad stuff like smoking, drinking and stress.
There is a small percentage from genetics and even that can be handled with better lifestyle choices.

I am in my sixties and have reversed several auto immune disorders by cleaning up my act and had CT scans several years ago that would have had me on a surgical wait list for hip and back surgery had I not made those changes.