Paris Rhone Alternator Parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 09:35 AM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paris Rhone Alternator Parts

The biggest problem living in this part of Ontario is the access to parts. Is there anyone here that has had success in aquiring parts for their alternator. The Paris Rhone 928 alternator is a 90 amp unit and the brushes are almost done. Had some problems yesterday when I brought the 928 out of storage. Zero charging voltage. Tore the unit down and cleaned the armature copper contacts with a light sandpaper and that seemed to fix the issue. To be honest I've had this problem over the last couple of years, it comes and goes. Yesterday it came and stayed. If anyone has a favouite alternator repair shop or supplier you deal with a phone number would be greatly appreciated. The old shark is alive and running fine and the charging system is working ok now but I know this will not last forever. Thanks to all that reply, I hope I can return the favour sometime..........Bill
Old 05-02-2004, 03:27 PM
adie
Pro

You could always keep a spare, or know of someone moving into the area who always has about 3 lying around in a box because they stick V8's in them that is if there the same as 944 ones. Unfortunatly I am stuck with the likes of Canadian tire for the moment, and if they ask one more time if they can help me I will loose it compleatly. I was in there 2 days age looking doe an 18pt 14mm socket, so I asked quite simply for a 18pt 14mm socket, they said they can get one the next day as it was an unusual size???? after about 10 minutes of me sitting at the desk trying to order it (and 3 people asking if I was sure it wasn't an imperial one), it transpired they were ordering me an 18.14mm socket, not to be disheartened I let them order it an they assure it will be there on Wednesday, I'm going to kick up a stink if it's not So don't go to the Eglington Branch, the Kingston rd branch to there credit opened the door and handed me the 6pt one and imeadiatly said sorry, snatched it back and gave me the correct one, they also wouldn't let me buy a new battery until thet tested mine, it turned out to be fine and just that I wasn't used to starting a car in -18 degrees, I brought a booster pack and havn't needed it since. i have a supplier who is absoultly brilliant, but is in the UK, he can do anything with electrical components, however the post means it can be here in 5 days and for next to nothing. I will however have a few 944 ones on the container which arrives in 4 weeks. I think it will be fun to have the old V8 auto back. If there's anything you need just give us a shout, I no longer have any 928 stuff as I gave it all away with the car inc workshop manuals but as I remember it wasn't to bad to work on other than the first job I had was to change the head gaskets, anything was easy after that. Anyhow I would like to start a list also of RELIABLE spares companys so I won't be stuck without again. Also as I'm just down the road from you, I'll be travelling to the big smoke for 3 days of the weeka dn back up again with the occasional day trip and work will probably require so i can pick up some stuff if required. Look out for a 944 Auto, Euro bumpers and an exhaust note that doesn't quite sound as if it belongs in a beach near you.
I think I drifted a bit off topic there but as mentioned, if it's the same as the 944 one then there willl be a few arriving soon.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:43 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Have you tried www.Porschapart.com/. They are in the Northwest of Toronto and have tons of parts.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Adie...Thanks for the reply. I don't know if the 944 is the same or not. I'll have to break out my parts book and see. Congrats on the house purchase and glad to see a fellow rennlister in the hood. The part I'm after is the voltage regulator and brush assembly. Someone somewhere must carry them. I'll give Whaletail a go come Monday and see what they can supply. Good to hear from you, I hope your move from the big smoke was ok. Take care and play fair and most of all Keep your stick on the ice....Go leafs........Bill
Old 05-02-2004, 05:58 PM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jim....No I haven' t tried anyone yet. I just did the repair yesterday and thought I would post here first. I know that the voltage regulators are available in the US and are probably here as well. It is just a matter of finding the people that carry the replacements. I think I will try those people though for a replacement alternator as a backup. Thankyou for the reply and the info ....cheers ....Bill
Old 05-03-2004, 11:27 AM
Canadian Aaron
Track Day

I have a local guy at the auto electric shop that can order anything you need.... I assume it would be the same in your area... check the local auto electric shops...
Old 05-03-2004, 03:28 PM
Sean79 5spd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill, I had an alternator shop make an alternator up for my 79. I took my old Bosch in and they matched a casing to it.
The case is Delphi (according to raised letters on casting). The components are a Lester 8206 rotor & a Lester 8206 stator.
This alternator has much better output, especially at idle and bolted in exactly the same as the Bosch.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Aaron and Sean thanks for the reply. I kind of lucked out to-day and found a local supplier for my regulator brush part. This shop bent over backwards to locate the part and if all goes well should be here next week.( He only orders once a week Thursdays) haha...but an excellent experience all the same. It apears that the Paris Rhone Alternator is quite popular in the marine industry and well respected for their quality and workmanship according to this repairman. I tried the old buggar when I got home and the volt meter reads a constant 14 volts no bouncing around like it used to especially when the heater fan was engaged. I also checked out Porscheapart today that was a good heads up thanks Jim...Now if only the weather would co-operate....I got this need for speeeeeeeeeeed...Thanks all...........Bill
Old 05-04-2004, 12:30 AM
adie
Pro

If you need stuff picking up from Frank just let me know as I pop over there from time to time to get those little bits that one day will be repaired.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Bill 86.5 928s
Addict
Rennlist Member

That's great Adie, thanks for the offer. I just might take you up on that some day. Took the beastie out for a run about after work, now I know why I fell in love with this car.......Geez that was nice.........didn't want to go home.....but the weather you know.....anyways thanks for the offer Adie I'm sure I'll be looking for something Porsche if it's within my budget. ....Bill
Old 05-08-2004, 12:43 AM
adie
Pro

Well I have 4 944 ones if thats any help, still going through the garage, just thrown out 2 perfect doors, 2 screen's (front) untold trim, wheels, engines, the lot, need room for more junk, looking forward to getting the good bits back.

Quick Reply: Paris Rhone Alternator Parts