Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   Rennlist Cyclists - Road Bike Recommendation (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/1197110-rennlist-cyclists-road-bike-recommendation.html)

Bud Fox 06-01-2020 04:07 PM

Rennlist Cyclists - Road Bike Recommendation

Hey Guys,

In anticipation of returning to the office in September and to avoid the TTC, I am in the market for a road bike with disc brakes under $2k.

12 km daily round trip commute downtown and maybe the occasional ride to Niagara.

I have never shopped for a bike nor ridden one since middle school so I am happy to hear any recommendations for bikes/shops to consider

Thanks

Turbodan 06-01-2020 04:12 PM

do you have a place to park it safely to avoid theft?

Bud Fox 06-01-2020 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Turbodan
do you have a place to park it safely to avoid theft?

Strictly plan to use it for my commute and take it up the elevator to my office

Zookie 06-01-2020 05:05 PM

i got me a Bianchi 2 years ago around $700, super comfy to ride with the seat and angled handles
this is a Disc version of this same bike but also lighter with Aluminum Forks around $1,000, im looking to upgrade to myself also

triggz82 06-01-2020 05:18 PM

Do you plan on using the bike outside of commuting for serious road bike exercise or just leisure? I wouldn't ride a nice road bike to commute. On the day you decide to lock it outside because you're too lazy to bring it up the elevator, it will be stolen.

I biked into downtown about the same distance and I elected for the bike below. A few things I took into consideration:

- I wasn't going to shower/change at work so would be in work clothing and wanted an upright seating position (less aerodynamic so wind blows through you and stops you from sweating as much)
- 7 speeds for light inclines in Toronto
- Fenders for dirt/puddles, chain cover so your pants don't get dirty
- Wider tires to absorb the busted Toronto roads and less chance of falling into street car tracks
- Built in rack on back for a basket for my work bag or other items
- No quick release for stolen parts
- Cheap enough (under $1k) that if it was stolen I could stomach it

I would also invest in a very good lock. Most city cyclists are using kryptonite.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...cef1f262b7.jpg

Bud Fox 06-01-2020 06:02 PM

I'm thinking a road bike that would also be acceptable for the Ride to Conquer Cancer(people in my office participate). I'm by no means planning to use it for serious exercise but I'm also not a grandpa if that makes sense.

I'm on the fence between riding into the office in cycling gear or in work clothes. There is an Equinox nearby where I plan to shower

What is the model in your photo?

Originally Posted by triggz82 (Post 16671127)
Do you plan on using the bike outside of commuting for serious road bike exercise or just leisure? I wouldn't ride a nice road bike to commute. On the day you decide to lock it outside because you're too lazy to bring it up the elevator, it will be stolen.

I biked into downtown about the same distance and I elected for the bike below. A few things I took into consideration:

- I wasn't going to shower/change at work so would be in work clothing and wanted an upright seating position (less aerodynamic so wind blows through you and stops you from sweating as much)
- Wider tires to absorb the busted Toronto roads and less chance of falling into street car tracks

I would also invest in a very good lock. Most city cyclists are using kryptonite.

DDzPorsche 06-01-2020 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by triggz82 (Post 16671127)

Reasonable recommendations.

Don't let a lock make you over confident, a battery powered angle grinder makes short work of a Kryptonite . Passer-bys generally won't intervene. All you can hope for is that the thief moves along to an easier target. Some downtowners that I know with nice bikes actually get a can(s) of spray paint and make their bike look 'ugly'.

Can't help with any shops in the downtown, I use Bike Sports in Newmarket. Take the time to get it fitted properly, it will make the ride much better.

Happy cycling

triggz82 06-01-2020 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bud Fox (Post 16671254)
I'm thinking a road bike that would also be acceptable for the Ride to Conquer Cancer(people in my office participate). I'm by no means planning to use it for serious exercise but I'm also not a grandpa if that makes sense.

I'm on the fence between riding into the office in cycling gear or in work clothes. There is an Equinox nearby where I plan to shower

What is the model in your photo?

The bike is a simcoe classic. They're reasonably priced (~$600-700) and I think made in Canada with decent parts. To be honest, it sounds like you're looking for a hybrid if you plan on doing some longer rides and exercise. The simcoe is built with commuting in mind and is heavy and slow. If you can adhere to bringing your bike up the elevator every day then you can probably swing by the equinox and shower too... That was too much of a pain for me and adds too much time to my mornings. Bike theft is a big problem in the city that no one does anything about so if you can bring it up the elevator that helps a lot. If you have to lock it outside as mentioned... replace all the quick release with nut and bolt and beat it up a bit... :burnout:

997turbocab 06-01-2020 10:01 PM

Newrold Cycle in Burlington is great but probably further than you want to go to buy a bike. You could go look at a Cyclocross bike or mountain bike with narrower tires? 12K round trip is nothing though, My 5 year old did 11k on the weekend without a complaint.

Get whatever feels comfortable but I would try a couple different styles. You never know how your body is going to react to being on a bike again lol

bcrdukes 06-01-2020 10:14 PM

Been cycling for years - too many bikes in my collection (or is it hoarding?)

I'd recommend a hybrid for the time being. Lots of options < $1000. Go to a reputable bike shop to get a fitment to determine size. Most of the shops I've dealt with are outside of the Downtown core, unfortunately. Closest one I've dealt with in the "downtown core" is Bikes On Wheels in Kensington market where I bought a commuter (Fuji Ballad.) Caught a well-known thief try to saw my bike lock off on my road bike. Luckily, I had two locks on it (both Kryptonite) but he still managed to get into the bike cage. I'll never ride my road bike Downtown again.

Edit: Came across a random bike lock that was cut while I was Downtown a few weeks ago.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...c544aa710f.jpg
:)

Turbodan 06-01-2020 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bud Fox (Post 16670961)
Strictly plan to use it for my commute and take it up the elevator to my office

better check with your building but when I used to have an office downtown, you were not allowed to bring bike in elevator. Some buildings do have a secure bike rack in underground that is watched by security.

bcrdukes 06-02-2020 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Turbodan (Post 16671970)
better check with your building but when I used to have an office downtown, you were not allowed to bring bike in elevator. Some buildings do have a secure bike rack in underground that is watched by security.

This.

If I had a choice, I would have brought my bike upstairs into the office with me. But it's a policy where bikes aren't allowed 1. In the building 2. in the elevator
This is quite common in a lot of buildings Downtown (in fact, my condo too, good grief.) The best ones are as Turbodan mentioned where the bike locker is underground and/or watched by security.

9964runner 06-02-2020 11:44 AM

We have purchased many bike from Gears in Leaside from kids to FS mountain bikes always been happy with the support there.
If your planning to take the bike up to the office have you considered a folding bike?
You may also want to scout out your possible routes and assess the road conditions, there are roads i avoid on the road bike for fear of pinch flats and a bone jarring ride, where as the mtn bike its easy sailing.

Bud Fox 06-02-2020 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Turbodan (Post 16671970)

My office is fine with it. I'm not in an overly busy building and have gotten to know the security desk(buy them xmas gifts)

Originally Posted by 9964runner (Post 16672634)
We have purchased many bike from Gears in Leaside from kids to FS mountain bikes always been happy with the support there.
If your planning to take the bike up to the office have you considered a folding bike?
You may also want to scout out your possible routes and assess the road conditions, there are roads i avoid on the road bike for fear of pinch flats and a bone jarring ride, where as the mtn bike its easy sailing.

I basically plan to sail down Avenue Rd from Bloor to Adelaide

moab 06-02-2020 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bud Fox (Post 16672914)
My office is fine with it. I'm not in an overly busy building and have gotten to know the security desk(buy them xmas gifts)

As someone who works downtown as well and is already back working in the office, I wouldn't count on being allowed to bring your bike into the elevator. The majority of the buildings now have limitations on the number of people that can be in an elevator at the same time, so you may be in for a rude surprise when you return to work. Probably makes sense to speak with the security desk before your return to see if it is going to be an issue.