Notices

Bye Porsche... and my story

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 08:32 AM
acklam
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bye Porsche... and my story

This past Saturday marks the first time I am Porsche-less in the last 12 years. I have traded in my Cayenne Turbo this Saturday for a Lambo, and sold my Boxster few years ago. I miss the cars but what I miss more is the Porsche community. Every Porsche owner I've met over the years has been super friendly (doesn't matter whether it is an old 924 or the latest/greatest GT3; or even someone with a Porsche SUV because that's the only way they can enjoy the brand with family duties - that's me for last couple years). I still recall 10+ years ago, when Porsches are not such a common scene in Toronto area, I'd often get a friendly wave from other Porsche drivers on the road in my Boxster.

The great Porsche community is the reason that I decide to make another post here (although I've sold all my Porsches). I don't post here often but I do read this forum from time to time. Believe it or not - rennlist is the first car forum I've visited this morning, before I hit the Lambo forum... (there is literally zero Toronto presence in the Lambo forum... ...) I think I really miss the Porsche community....

A little more about my story to move away from Porsches... In the last few years, I've been trying to upgrade to a Porsche GT car. In the used market, the prices have been going beyond what I feel reasonable. They are great and fantastic cars... I guess that's why the high demand driving up the price, but I cannot quite justify paying close to MSRP or beyond for a used car. I've put down a deposit for a new 718 GT4 2 years ago, but have been searching for alternatives. If the new GT4 didn't take that long to release, I probably would've stayed in the Porsche family.

Anyway, I've started looking at Lamborghini Gallardo last year. I know they are not Porsches; they don't have racing heritage like Ferrari or Mclaren; they are not true Lambo with the scissor doors/V12; some even call them re-badged R8 (they do share some components)... well, but I really love their look and it is the perfect car to me. They are reliable. The V10 engine makes a nice sound. They look great. They handle really well and are fast enough to me.

Couple weeks ago, I was checking out this beautiful Gallardo sitting at Pfaff Reserve/Mclaren Toronto. Edward and Horst from the team have been really helpful; and they have helped me put together this unbelievable deal that I cannot turn down. I know some of you know and work with them (I saw a Macan GTS on Saturday when I was picking up my car; and another guy checking out a purple GT3 RS), but I have nothing but good words about this fantastic team. Everyone's experience may vary but I have only had great experience with Pfaff group - both Pfaff Porsche and Mclaren. I highly recommend them to any of you.

Anyway, here I am - I guess, "There is substitute" in my case. But I still miss Porsches - hope I will return to the brand one day... I still have a GT4 deposit at Pfaff but seriously I cannot afford to keep both GT4 and Gallardo. Hope I will still be welcome to the Porsche community.
The following users liked this post:
MKC91 (01-27-2020)
Old 06-17-2019, 09:56 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

congrats....

let us know how many km's before you're pulled over for the plate in the windshield....
Old 06-17-2019, 10:14 AM
Freakhead
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on the car, never hurts to try something different. Come back and tell us about your observations.

Love the colour orange with black accents on the Lambo.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:16 AM
acklam
Intermediate

Originally Posted by petee_c
congrats....

let us know how many km's before you're pulled over for the plate in the windshield....
LOL. I did see a cop while driving slowly in a parking lot yesterday. He was staring at me and my car, but I guess I look friendly enough with a 4 yo sitting in the passenger seat with all the proper car seat, etc. So, 0 vs. 1 so far on giving me trouble vs. taking it easy.

I am debating whether to buy one of those tow hook mount vs. wait for Ontario gov't to change the law.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:01 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

If it makes you feel better the R8 is a re-badged Gallardo / Huracan. In fact, the R8's transmission case has "Lamborghini" stamped right on it! The two cars share their aluminum structures (though with different wheelbases and upper supports to allow for different roof profiles), engines (in different tune), gearboxes, electrical harness and systems, suspension design / arms, brakes in some cases though not most.

That said, that that Gallardo looks fantastic! Have fun!
Old 06-17-2019, 11:02 AM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by acklam
LOL. I did see a cop while driving slowly in a parking lot yesterday. He was staring at me and my car, but I guess I look friendly enough with a 4 yo sitting in the passenger seat with all the proper car seat, etc. So, 0 vs. 1 so far on giving me trouble vs. taking it easy.

I am debating whether to buy one of those tow hook mount vs. wait for Ontario gov't to change the law.
Congrats! Looks amazing!

I'm always a fan of plate mounting systems that don't damage the face of the front bumper. The tow hook mounted option is a pretty good solution.

THE REFINERY
Paint Correction | Ceramic Coatings | Paint Protection Film | Detailing Products
6 Carlaw Avenue
Toronto, Canada.

www.therefinery.ltd

+1.416.848.2868
info@therefinery.ltd
Follow us on: Instagram / Facebook / Twitter
THE REFINERY's YouTube Channel

Old 06-17-2019, 11:03 AM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats, I was eyeing this car as well.
I am another long term Porsche owned transitioned to Lambo few years back when the Porsche Cartel started playing the nasty allocation game. Got me a Murcielago. I still have bunch of aircooled's though.
Although Lambo forums arent as active, I have since alot of Lambo enthusiasts. PM me if you want to join us on our own little Lambo get together next time.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:42 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

That is a sweet car.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:01 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I get that move - I still lust for Gallardo SuperL's! They're ubersweet!

I sometimes ask myself why I let myself pay a premium to msrp for my GT4.....It makes no sense, until you go to look for something that is as good for the same money - I couldn't find anything even close. So I threw principals out the window and went for it. BUT, I talked myself into it by convincing myself that if I was the first buyer at MSRP Id have been raped on my trade - so you're getting fleeced either way. I also think that they'll hold value well - but who knows.

Regardless, beauty Gallardo. If I had a Lambo, Id have no interest in getting to know that community. They're like sportbike riders - better at a distance! I have a sportbike and no-thank-you! Porsche community is special.

The car I want is a MP4-12C. Just not sure I want to deal with running costs (mostly cost of warranty and depreciation). But there are some super sweet cars getting nice and cheap these days....
Old 06-17-2019, 02:41 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 234 Likes on 157 Posts

My favourite Lambo colour. Manual Gallardo Coupe was an option I considered but it won't fit down my narrowish midtown driveway! You should come out to the GTG's anyway. We'd love to try...'er see your new acquisition.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:06 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Congratulations, use it in good health!
Years ago I attended the launch of the Gallardo Superlegerra. I did not want to get out of the drivers seat.....

What Ronnie said: You should come out to the GTG's anyway. We'd love to try...'er see your new acquisition.[/QUOTE]
Especially Hear that V10!

Enjoy!
Old 06-17-2019, 04:58 PM
Porto911
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Great looking beast.. good luck and enjoy.

saw one exactly like that on the Highway yesterday coming back from the mountains here in Alberta. Looks even better when it flys by you!
Old 06-17-2019, 06:00 PM
acklam
Intermediate

Thanks all!

Yes, I will try to still come to Porsche gatherings. I will just pretend it is a GT3. Porsche doesn't want to sell me one so I've got Lambo to make me one and they've made a few changes along the way... They are all owned by VW anyway ...

Another problem of going to gathering is to find a time when I don't need to babysit my kids. I have waited a few years with the SUV before coming back to a sports car, so hopefully my older kid is old enough to come along with me now.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:35 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Well looks like your purchase triggered the GT4 release....announced a few min ago to be 4.0L 6cyl with 8k redline based upon a reworked 3.0L turbo from the 718. Looks great!
Old 06-17-2019, 06:45 PM
acklam
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BioBanker
Well looks like your purchase triggered the GT4 release....announced a few min ago to be 4.0L 6cyl with 8k redline based upon a reworked 3.0L turbo from the 718. Looks great!
Oh yeah. I know it will happen, right after I decide to give up my waitlist spot.

It looks like it will be a great car... I love how it looks and the spec too. Oh well... if I decided to keep waiting for it, it would have delayed another year and they will put a 1.5l turbo 3-cyl+hybrid on it - I am sure!

Quick Reply: Bye Porsche... and my story