Notices

The truth US purchase (long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 11:26 PM
adie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm, should have read £'s not $'s, so aroung 90,000 CAD. I'm not fussy about anything as I don't know what I actually like, other than the older shape with round headlights, 4WD would be the key here as it's going to replace the 944 as an everyday car, not even worried if it's had a few bumps and scrapes, I'd rather that than a domestic 4x4 that looks like a mobile gunrack. To be honest I was after a 911 but I think I will need 4WD so untill 6 months ago I didn't know there was such a thing, at one point I was going to try and put a 911 shell on a Cosworth 4x4 chassis or even a vauxhal calibra 4x4 chassis. Just so were all playing on the same field, is there something wrong with being a woman??
Old 02-17-2004, 12:10 PM
mducharme
Instructor

Wow Adie, Very impressive stable for a woman. You are one in a million.
My wife doesn't take on serious auto projects such as yours but she knows here way around her own car . She takes care of her own maintenance, fluid changes, and such.
She lets me help her, but she loves the chance to show her auto independance. This is part of her appeal and why I love her so much. Not only that she puts up with me.
There is nothing wrong with being a woman. Mine makes my world go 'round.
Mducharme 86 930 turbo
84 carrera cabrio (for sale)
Old 02-17-2004, 04:36 PM
mducharme
Instructor

Hey everyone,
Do you guys and gals think I am asking to much money for my Carrera cabriolet? This is a car I spent at least another 20 grand on after I got it home from the US.
My attempt was to make it as perfect as I could. I guess I went a little overboard. My garage is only 1 1/2 wide, Someone would get a great car for the money and I would gain some garage space.
I thought I priced it right, was I wrong. I'm not asking you to buy it, just your opinion.
Thanks, Mducharme 86 930 turbo
Ah **** you already know the rest....
Old 02-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Redlyne_mr2
Racer

I think alot of your expenses have to do with the fact that you live in Ontario. That e test and certification junk as well as the pst really add up to the final cost. Thanks for the writeup though I myself was thinking about buying from the states and this gave me all the info I needed
Old 02-19-2004, 04:31 PM
delhi
Racer

Alon, check here

the price is $79k at pcaucr.org
Old 02-20-2004, 01:50 AM
nuck
AutoX

Interesting car Delhi. A rebuilt total I guess?." Accidented. All carbon fiber body. Full roll cage. No carpets. No speakers. No AC." A nice track car but $$$ away from being a daily driver again. I wonder what the cf bodywork cost. Even if it was totalled it may be a good buy for the right person. A proper repair would mean the only thing you are out is some resale value because of the stigma but some of us buy cars to drive them, not to sell them again.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:43 PM
RRLOwen
Instructor

This is an interesting topic for me since I just completed the process of importing a 993 from the US.
My experience was quite different from yours.
In fact, the whole process was easier than I had imagined, and for the market I am in it did save some significant $.
I think that's the important factor -what is the market like for the car you want within your area.
I am in BC - a few hundred miles out of Vancouver. there are no 993's for sale here. In Vancouver, there are almost none for sale privately. I saw one recently in the Sun - asking price is $62,000. Tax extra. Even if GST is not applicable, and if you can negotiate some discount, the cost is at least $65,000.
There are a few dealer cars available - all over $60K+++. The best I found was a black 96 at a dealer for $57K. This was plus both taxes, so again, it nets out at $65K.
My car is a 95, 48K miles. I bought it out of St. Louis site unseen but with some direct discussions with the guy who did the PPI. I admit that this can be risky.
The total cost landed into BC will be $50K. That includes PPI, taxes, duty, freight, bordere charges, etc.
For me, if i could have found a car in Vancouver for up to $55K, all in, I would have willingly paid that for the peace of mind because I could see it, drive it, etc. After that, it becomes a problem both for the money and the choice. there just aren't many to choose from - at any given time, probably half a dozen.
In the end, I think I had some luck because I ended up with a sweet car - but I did all the checks that I could from a distance and it paid off. There was some trust involved and I had a few tense moments when I received the first title certificate and it had the wrong VIN on it, but it all worked out in the end and I have a great car at a reasonable price.
Maybe $50K for a 993 with under 50K miles is available somewhere in Canada, but I sure couldn't find it.

So, to all of you looking out there, my advice is to keep an open mind to all possibilities and stay dilligent about the details - ther is a car for you somewhere. Importing can work.

Good Luck

ROwen

Quick Reply: The truth US purchase (long)