Notices

44 991.2 GT3s on autotrader?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 11:14 AM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by vtknight
I will also chime in and agree that Pfaff is a fantastic Autohaus. I had a great experience there...Oakville on the other hand...

It's funny that you post this. We bought our 997 Turbo from Pfaff and had a great experience. Being younger (30) usually my wife and I get the cold shoulder but Lee at PFaff was awesome to deal with. Now my Dad is looking for a Macan/ Cayenne and Oakville is closer for us we went there, and by no means was it bad, we go to all the cars and coffee and other events they put on and they treat everyone like Gold, but when it came to buying a car it just felt like meh....we were just a number. My dad still hasn't singed on the dotted line yet so we will see where we end up going.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:17 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS
There is one for sale at Mclaren toronto in Orange with Ceramic brakes and ****loads of Carbon, for less than the GT3.....

NO affiliation, other than the experience has been exemplary, and the car speaks for itself.
I know! Rewind a year ago and I probably would have ended up in a 12C versus my GT4. Both cars value has come down but the difference between the two has been cut in half.....

I made the right choice for me at that time but it was a close decision at $50k difference....now at a $30k difference it would be more tempting but I still wouldn't like that $1k/month base cost just to keep the thing running under warranty. But I am COMPLETELY AWARE THAT THAT COST IS WORTH IT!!!!!!!

Now I want one again!!! Damn you!
Old 05-25-2019, 01:27 AM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
I know! Rewind a year ago and I probably would have ended up in a 12C versus my GT4. Both cars value has come down but the difference between the two has been cut in half.....

I made the right choice for me at that time but it was a close decision at $50k difference....now at a $30k difference it would be more tempting but I still wouldn't like that $1k/month base cost just to keep the thing running under warranty. But I am COMPLETELY AWARE THAT THAT COST IS WORTH IT!!!!!!!

Now I want one again!!! Damn you!
Prior to making this decision, I had a deposit on the new GT4 (with 420 hp) that was supposed to arrive in September. I was told that I was in the que.....
Then the eta changed to next year, that's when I went shopping. As I mentioned earlier, I prefer the GT4 to the GT 3. Not sure if its the mid engine and the balance, or
the brilliance of the drive and the connection to the vehicle. My favourite Porsche is the 997 GT3 RS, and the cayman is really close. IMHO

The Mclaren is also mid engine, way more hp. but not as tactile. Small tradeoff to the big smile when you drive it.
The ride quality on the street is unbelievable, then turn the switch and it transforms into a track weapon!

Link to the final video from the 21st at Mosport and some great memories in the GT2.

Last edited by TurboS; 05-27-2019 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:38 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 271 Posts

well as an update, with summer in full swing, the number of GT3s for sale on AT has....gone up to 47. Including several below the 200k mark. I guess this is what they call a 'deflationary spiral' in economics - prices come down and people think they'll come down even more, so they sit on the sidelines instead of buying. Perhaps the Canadian consumer being at an all time high debt/income ratio also means less people able to finance.

Looks like the 991.1 GT3 RS has also come down a lot, incidentally - there are several that are below MSRP (<$210k).

Last edited by maroli; 06-18-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:10 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by maroli
well as an update, with summer in full swing, the number of GT3s for sale on AT has....gone up to 47. Including several below the 200k mark. I guess this is what they call a 'deflationary spiral' in economics - prices come down and people think they'll come down even more, so they sit on the sidelines instead of buying. I guess the Canadian consumer being at an all time high debt/income ratio also means less people able to finance.

Looks like the 991.1 GT3 RS has also come down a lot, incidentally - there are several that are below MSRP (<$210k).
Too many people with the pedigree at the dealership to get an allocation that want to flip and try and make a buck. Problem is, supply is outweighing the demand at this price point.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:25 PM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Too many people with the pedigree at the dealership to get an allocation that want to flip and try and make a buck. Problem is, supply is outweighing the demand at this price point.
They made close to 50% more cars this time around as well compared to the 99.1- I agree that it was very greedy for the dealerships to sell to 'favoured' customers at MSRP, and who never intended to keep the car to begin with. They then buy it back at a steep markup and sell it at an even steeper markup.

Looking at some AT posts where they mention what the dealer initially tried to list the car at, some were $60k over MSRP! Now they're making a negative margin with having to cut prices. Serves them right - although I have them to thank for declining to buy a GT3 in 2015 and buying a condo instead. One would've lost a lot of money now that the bubble has popped, and the other made a lot (although maybe that's a bubble too!).
Old 06-22-2019, 11:27 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by maroli
They made close to 50% more cars this time around as well compared to the 99.1- I agree that it was very greedy for the dealerships to sell to 'favoured' customers at MSRP, and who never intended to keep the car to begin with. They then buy it back at a steep markup and sell it at an even steeper markup.

Looking at some AT posts where they mention what the dealer initially tried to list the car at, some were $60k over MSRP! Now they're making a negative margin with having to cut prices. Serves them right - although I have them to thank for declining to buy a GT3 in 2015 and buying a condo instead. One would've lost a lot of money now that the bubble has popped, and the other made a lot (although maybe that's a bubble too!).
Do you honestly think the dealers bought back GT3s at "a steep markup"? ...lol. they made buyers sign that the dealers get first right to buy car back at what they determine is market price...lol. and after prepaying for service, full car 3m clear bra treatment and a few other things.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:34 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Do you honestly think the dealers bought back GT3s at "a steep markup"? ...lol. they made buyers sign that the dealers get first right to buy car back at what they determine is market price...lol. and after prepaying for service, full car 3m clear bra treatment and a few other things.
X2!

Shall we play this game?
Old 06-23-2019, 12:59 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997
I also suspect the dealers are instructed from above to get as many asses in the seats as they can.

When I was in LA last summer the local McLaren dealership gave me a 570s for two days, no questions asked. In fact, they solicited me to take the car despite me informing them I had no interest in buying a Mclaren.

Same thing happened this year when I was chatting with someone (who turned out to be the manager of the local Mclaren store) driving a 600LT at a cars and coffee event . "Come by later today and take the car." Hugely overrated car btw.

Meanwhile, I doubt the local Porsche dealer would even let me test drive a GT3. Not that I would ever want to subject myself to the pain of going to or dealing with a Porsche dealer unless I absolutely had to.
Huh.. I wouldn't mind a free McLaren for a couple days; somehow I doubt that experience would be universal though!

I am curious—in what way did you find the 600LT overrated? Just not good value compared to the 570S?
Old 06-24-2019, 02:26 AM
maroli
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm inclined to believe at least some bought them back at some kind of markup because why would any end consumer buy the car to flip? There's a huge amount of low mileage cars for sale so at least a few people bought the cars to flip and if they're not realizing any profit through the dealer, what's the incentive to buy in the first place? I know a couple of dealers in the states have lost money on RS's - there was one selling 7 RS's at once and he freely admitted he got caught out by the downturn in pricing since he bought them back practically new above MSRP.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:20 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

I tend to agree with this, the problem is now those cars are sitting on lots and have lost a lot of their exclusivity. I thought GT and GTRS cars were supposed to be rare, now the market is flooded. I'm glad flippers lost out though. I've heard of too many people being swindled out of their allocations in order to let ''friends of the dealership'' buy cars. These things should be first come first serve, unfortunately that's not how the world works. have you seen the GT2RS's out there advertised for over 600k? ridiculous.

Originally Posted by tbuff
991.2s were all bought by flippers. but then they made a ton of em to combat it. Market speaks

Thats my take
Old 06-24-2019, 03:59 PM
Performante
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

Here's an article from May on Carbuzz asking why so many people are selling their GT2RS...

https://carbuzz.com/features/why-are...che-911-gt2-rs

Quick Reply: 44 991.2 GT3s on autotrader?!