Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   Ontario to scrap front license plates? (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/1137815-ontario-to-scrap-front-license-plates.html)

ggrace 04-09-2019 06:17 PM

Ontario to scrap front license plates?

https://www.blogto.com/city/2019/04/...icence-plates/

moab 04-09-2019 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by ggrace (Post 15762090)

interesting. first I have heard of this!

Scotty2H 04-09-2019 07:41 PM

Encouraging. Will wait to install new bumper!

wc11 04-09-2019 09:15 PM

"If you eliminate half the license plates in the province you'll eliminate half the opportunities for us to be able to identify people involved in crime," said Jeff McGuire, executive director of the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police/Keystone Cops.

Yeah okay because half of the criminals got away because they only had one plate on the getaway car. Oh please.
I suppose then if a thief only steals one of your plates, you've got nothing to worry about.

Brian 162 04-09-2019 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by wc11 (Post 15762486)
"If you eliminate half the license plates in the province you'll eliminate half the opportunities for us to be able to identify people involved in crime," said Jeff McGuire, executive director of the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police/Keystone Cops.

Yeah okay because half of the criminals got away because they only had one plate on the getaway car. Oh please.
I suppose then if a thief only steals on of your plates, you've got nothing to worry about.

Won't somebody please think of the children :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Porsches 04-09-2019 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by moab (Post 15762160)

Really? First you headed of it?? I just told everyone here I emailed the Minister and Mr. Ford last week. What did you expect?? I don’t mess around! ;-)

matt3rs 04-10-2019 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by moab (Post 15762160)

:roflmao:

uniquenamehere 04-10-2019 10:45 AM

Jeff McGuire, executive director of the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police, says getting rid of "half of the licence plates in the province" will "eliminate half the opportunities for us to be able to identify people involved in crime."
Is this guy taking crazy pills? I don't get this argument at all. Are there really that many criminals trying to get away driving in reverse? :rolleyes:

JimV8 04-10-2019 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere (Post 15763533)
Is this guy taking crazy pills? I don't get this argument at all. Are there really that many criminals trying to get away driving in reverse? :rolleyes:

The explanation is simple. Police patrol vehicles are in fact rolling hi tech machines that among other things are fitted with forward and rearward looking cameras. The cameras are designed to read license plates and software automatically ‘beeps’ when a stolen plate is recorded.

wc11 04-10-2019 02:50 PM

He is still suggesting that without front plates, that half the criminals are not identified. His words.

It's not just about locating stolen plates though.
I guess the provinces or states for that matter with one plate have double the crime rate? Not.
Besides, the cop can make a uturn and follow you.

strathconaman 04-10-2019 04:00 PM

All of this assumes criminals drive towards the police. It also assumes the police do nothing but check licence plates. Things like make, model, description of driver are probably just as important as plate or partial plate number.

ekam 04-10-2019 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by wc11 (Post 15764235)
He is still suggesting that without front plates, that half the criminals are not identified. His words.

I guess the provinces or states for that matter with one plate have double the crime rate? Not.

Same police argument that if guns are banned, there will be no gun crimes. *waves magic wand*

matt3rs 04-10-2019 05:42 PM

Based on that logic, no vehicles involved in any organized criminal activity should ever have had a front plate. I mean, who in their right mind wouldn't remove a few screws to increase their chance of escape by 50%?

Porsches 04-10-2019 06:05 PM

Police have been saying this for 50 years. Let's help the concerned license plate police then. Since more is obviously more - and taking away front plates will make all the criminals (half anyway) get away...then let's just make a rule that every car in Ontario has a light beacon the size of an acorn on the roof that is lit up green 100% of the time 24/7 and whenever that light burns out or is not turned on, we fine the owner. More tax dollars. And, any car which is stolen or used in any accident, or missing person, that the reported car light goes off and flashes red. This will allow citizens to know who is doing something they should not be doing, and contact the police. Then maybe we can get rid of the front plate.

Tj40 04-10-2019 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by wc11 (Post 15764235)

By this logic we'll have to put number plates on the sides - it will double the number of criminals they catch!!