Notices

Ontario to scrap front license plates?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 03:23 AM
matt3rs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we had the rug pulled from under those of us who hoped for the front plate to be scrapped, I have a question about registering a plate in a province that legally doesn't require it.

The following is purely for discussion sake:
Say, for example, if one has friends or family in Alberta. What would be some obstacles or issues that could arise with changing your drivers license over and registering an Alberta plate? You can legally drive in Ontario with an Alberta plate, while not legally obligated to have a front plate as Alberta doesn't require it. How do they (the popos) prove you're not only visiting Ontario on a regular basis if you do get pulled over?

Again, just a thought. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone in those provinces so even if this method works, it won't work for me. I'll have to suck it up and keep wasting time getting those tickets dropped or simply pay.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:29 AM
991.2 GTS
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

You would also be taking advantage of their low sales tax of 5% on either your overall purchase or monthly lease payment! Kinda sketchy from an insurance perspective as I’m not sure that you could insure it as an Ontario car.

Originally Posted by matt3rs
Since we had the rug pulled from under those of us who hoped for the front plate to be scrapped, I have a question about registering a plate in a province that legally doesn't require it.

Say, for example, if one has friends or family in Alberta. What would be some obstacles or issues that could arise with changing your drivers license over and registering an Alberta plate? You can legally drive in Ontario with an Alberta plate, while not legally obligated to have a front plate as Alberta doesn't require it. How do they (the popos) prove you're not only visiting Ontario on a regular basis if you do get pulled over?

Again, just a thought. Unfortunately, I do not know anyone in those provinces so even if this method works, it won't work for me. I'll have to suck it up and keep wasting time getting those tickets dropped or simply pay.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:40 AM
Porsches
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe insurance would be an issue as it’s tied to property of ‘your home’ - so to speak. Interesting though. Anyone care to call?
Old 04-16-2019, 10:43 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Wow. You guys are taking this way to seriously.
The fronts of your homes must be absolute perfection.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:44 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

So you want to commit fraud so you don't have to have a front plate?

Trust me, your insurance company will find out, probably when you have been in an accident, and you won't have coverage. Hopefully you didn't injure anyone, or your cunning plan will cost you $$$$.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:04 AM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

The rug has not been pulled out yet.
The front plate decision was always to come at a later date.
nothing has changed.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:23 AM
Porsches
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Wow. You guys are taking this way to seriously.
The fronts of your homes must be absolute perfection.
I don’t think that’s very fair. People here do have a right to an opinion and he was not advocating breaking the law - just noting whether or not he could get his car licensed in another province - and he did not state illegally.

PLATES IN FRONT ARE UGLY. It’s my car. But - it is the law and I have the right to disagree.

Also, if I buy a home and someone requires an address marker on the front of it - which is not a law by the way - and then they also state I must put my address on the back of it - why do I need to like it? And why is it wrong to argue it.

Since I was young enough to know what a Ferrari or Porsche or even Camaro looked like - 4 decades ago - I always said that the car would look better without a plate - just like in the car magazines.

The fact that police claim it’s helping them holds little water - because if they relied on it for missing persons - then you would need to think that criminals would not think to change the plate. Many of us have an opinion which is that plates are a waste of metal, waste of money, damages front of cars - ruins the aerodynamics of cars and on and on. And, (because I think that’s all splitting hairs thin) many of us think it’s ugly. Period. I would prefer not to have my car’s beautiful design ruined by the political colour of some party or a colour I do not like or a shape I do not like or ...etc.

It should be my choice to disagree with some policeman’s opinion - and their collective opinions have been and do remain ridiculous - after 40 years of the same “we can’t do our jobs”. If that was important - we should just have lasers coming out of the car with our plates or numbers on our roofs for helicopters. It’s stupid. If someone is looking for a red 911, they’re not going to look at the plate and think - that’s not him. They’re going to assume someone changed the late and stop it anyhow.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:31 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 470 Posts

If you came into my old office with that scenario we would flag you in the system as not living here and you would be put through the ringer to maintain your OHIP coverage. What you propose is fraud.

I seriously hope you keep getting tickets, cause you deserve them with your above the law attitude.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:55 AM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Do you mean they would supply a rear plate with the same digits as your old plates? If so, that can't be done as every plate is heavily controlled stock and each set gets a specific barcode. Plus the people simply can't be trusted to not put the extra plates on another vehicle illegally. Sorry if I'm not understanding fully.

On a side note, now is the time to buy any personalized plates. If you buy them and don't register them you can re-sell them. I checked today if "TAYCAN" was available but it's already taken so people must be pre-buying them already.
I think I've spent so much time on more hostile forums that I'm working too hard to avoid a "that's stupid you're an idiot" response.

Summary:
We have to have plates, and I think there's a universal, or nearly, acceptance that there should be one on the rear.
It also seems there is general agreement that front plates are ugly, or at least detract from the beauty/designt/pleasing aesthetics of the front of the car.
Where is debate (law enforcement comments) is on the actual utility of the front plate - but given that our validation stickers only go on the rear, that has to be an acknowledgment from the regulatory side (gov't/police) that the rear is the more important.

Given those "facts" - a compromise would be to allow the display of your licence number at the front of the vehicle in a format that could be "personalized". The official, government provided plate is on the rear, and you can put your numbers at the front of the car in a format that you like, within specified guidelines (to ensure readable font, appropriate contrast, etc.).
Yes - it may be difficult to police - but the point is in the acknowledgement that the front is less important, but not completely irrelevant. We wouldn't allow the same shape/style of plate with different colour combinations, because those already represent different things. People like euro style number plates, or may want something that's just the height of the letters, to align with the size of their bumper/fascia. Enterprising individuals could make plates to order that are certified to meet government spec.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:45 PM
matt3rs
Advanced

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
The rug has not been pulled out yet.
The front plate decision was always to come at a later date.
nothing has changed.
I think it has unless I'm missing something. Says here: https://globalnews.ca/news/5168333/o...licence-cards/

"Yurek also said Monday that licence plates will remain on both the front and back of vehicles across the province, after the government said last week it was considering removing front plates as a cost-cutting measure.

The Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police had spoken out against the move, saying eliminating front plates would cut down on the opportunity to identify vehicles involved in crimes.

“We continue to talk to law enforcement about how we can make their jobs easier and ensuring that our roads are safer,” Yurek said."

Originally Posted by Porsches
I don’t think that’s very fair. People here do have a right to an opinion and he was not advocating breaking the law - just noting whether or not he could get his car licensed in another province - and he did not state illegally.

PLATES IN FRONT ARE UGLY. It’s my car. But - it is the law and I have the right to disagree.

Also, if I buy a home and someone requires an address marker on the front of it - which is not a law by the way - and then they also state I must put my address on the back of it - why do I need to like it? And why is it wrong to argue it.

Since I was young enough to know what a Ferrari or Porsche or even Camaro looked like - 4 decades ago - I always said that the car would look better without a plate - just like in the car magazines.

The fact that police claim it’s helping them holds little water - because if they relied on it for missing persons - then you would need to think that criminals would not think to change the plate. Many of us have an opinion which is that plates are a waste of metal, waste of money, damages front of cars - ruins the aerodynamics of cars and on and on. And, (because I think that’s all splitting hairs thin) many of us think it’s ugly. Period. I would prefer not to have my car’s beautiful design ruined by the political colour of some party or a colour I do not like or a shape I do not like or ...etc.

It should be my choice to disagree with some policeman’s opinion - and their collective opinions have been and do remain ridiculous - after 40 years of the same “we can’t do our jobs”. If that was important - we should just have lasers coming out of the car with our plates or numbers on our roofs for helicopters. It’s stupid. If someone is looking for a red 911, they’re not going to look at the plate and think - that’s not him. They’re going to assume someone changed the late and stop it anyhow.
I agree with you but I don't think you should bother responding to the negativity and hostility. At this point I know whose comments to skip. You can't get through because they get enjoy being triggered. I clearly said it was for discussion sake and that such method wouldn't apply to me even if it worked. There's always going to be people who can't hold a proper discussion without taking it personally.
Just let them get triggered and hypothesize what they would do in hypothetical situations should a chance arise for them to act in what they consider to be their name of justice. It's quite hilarious, but just ignore it.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:14 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Emefef
I think I've spent so much time on more hostile forums that I'm working too hard to avoid a "that's stupid you're an idiot" response.

Summary:
We have to have plates, and I think there's a universal, or nearly, acceptance that there should be one on the rear.
It also seems there is general agreement that front plates are ugly, or at least detract from the beauty/designt/pleasing aesthetics of the front of the car.
Where is debate (law enforcement comments) is on the actual utility of the front plate - but given that our validation stickers only go on the rear, that has to be an acknowledgment from the regulatory side (gov't/police) that the rear is the more important.

Given those "facts" - a compromise would be to allow the display of your licence number at the front of the vehicle in a format that could be "personalized". The official, government provided plate is on the rear, and you can put your numbers at the front of the car in a format that you like, within specified guidelines (to ensure readable font, appropriate contrast, etc.).
Yes - it may be difficult to police - but the point is in the acknowledgement that the front is less important, but not completely irrelevant. We wouldn't allow the same shape/style of plate with different colour combinations, because those already represent different things. People like euro style number plates, or may want something that's just the height of the letters, to align with the size of their bumper/fascia. Enterprising individuals could make plates to order that are certified to meet government spec.
Lol I’m not being hostile in any way. It would be a wonderful world if people could be trusted to do what your are proposing. Unfortunately it’s just not the case in our world. To give you context I spent the last 3 years managing a service Ontario and I have seen first hand how people try to cheat the system. A few bad apples always ruin things for the rest of us.

At the end of the day items like ownerships, plates, stickers are no different than currency. You simply can not duplicate or produce them on your own.

I’m just offering my opinion based on my knowledge of the MTO and their customers.

Sorry if offended you in any way.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:08 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

I think it has unless I'm missing something. Says here: https://globalnews.ca/news/5168333/o...licence-cards/

"Yurek also said Monday that licence plates will remain on both the front and back of vehicles across the province, after the government said last week it was considering removing front plates as a cost-cutting measure.

The Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police had spoken out against the move, saying eliminating front plates would cut down on the opportunity to identify vehicles involved in crimes.

“We continue to talk to law enforcement about how we can make their jobs easier and ensuring that our roads are safer,” Yurek said."
From the article you posted

........ “The plate will feature high-definition sheeting that is stronger and longer-lasting than Ontario’s current licence plate technology.”

READ MORE: Ontario considers scrapping front licence plates, final decisions have not been made

The government has confirmed the licence slogan on commercial plates will be........
Old 04-16-2019, 10:31 PM
matt3rs
Advanced

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
From the article you posted
Sorry to crush your dreams, but check the date of the articles. It ain't happening my friend.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:58 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Sorry to crush your dreams, but check the date of the articles. It ain't happening my friend.
Yeah, I see that now.
I didn't read down far enough.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:04 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

It will cut parking enforcement ticket revenue in half if there's no front plate.

Last edited by Brian 162; 04-17-2019 at 10:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Ontario to scrap front license plates?