Notices

Ontario to scrap front license plates?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 10:03 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Rumor has it that prisoners may enact job action as half of them will lose their jobs when we go to one plate.
Maybe UNIFOR should go in and fight to protect more auto sector jobs.
Where's Jerry Dias when you need him most?
Old 04-12-2019, 08:50 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Well the budget at least eliminated those heavyweight insurance certificates we all have to carry, thus shaving 1/10 of an ounce off the kerb weight. At the limit of performance every gram counts....
Old 04-12-2019, 03:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
Well the budget at least eliminated those heavyweight insurance certificates we all have to carry, thus shaving 1/10 of an ounce off the kerb weight. At the limit of performance every gram counts....
and they said the conservatives weren't environmentally conscious .. just imagine the gas savings in not having to haul these around everywhere.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:27 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
and they said the conservatives weren't environmentally conscious .. just imagine the gas savings in not having to haul these around everywhere.
Imagine the carbon not created by not making paper for those very pink slips....LOL
Old 04-13-2019, 11:33 AM
Porsches
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I am assuming that it is a hidden rule coming and they didn’t actually say it in the speech as that would be trivial. But I am hoping this is part of the new plate rules.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:57 PM
jeffee
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried capturing front license plates of cars traveling 50 kmh while I drive the opposite direction. I got 0 license plate numbers. I got 35 out of 38 vehicles rear license plates by stopping on the side of the road reading them. 3 were missed due to shiny glare on the white background. Now how do half of a crime may not be solved without front plates? I didn't get 50 percent of them read. All they want to do is type your front plate in while at a stop light to harass felons and young drivers. Front plates gets covered in dirt, road grime, snow and ice etc. They don't have a light. It obstructs the view of the front bumper cover, cuts legs as people walk by and tears at clothes. Time for them to go.
Originally Posted by Brian 162
Won't somebody please think of the children
Originally Posted by wc11
"If you eliminate half the license plates in the province you'll eliminate half the opportunities for us to be able to identify people involved in crime," said Jeff McGuire, executive director of the Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police/Keystone Cops.

Yeah okay because half of the criminals got away because they only had one plate on the getaway car. Oh please.
I suppose then if a thief only steals one of your plates, you've got nothing to worry about.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:44 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffee
I tried capturing front license plates of cars traveling 50 kmh while I drive the opposite direction. I got 0 license plate numbers. I got 35 out of 38 vehicles rear license plates by stopping on the side of the road reading them. 3 were missed due to shiny glare on the white background. Now how do half of a crime may not be solved without front plates? I didn't get 50 percent of them read. All they want to do is type your front plate in while at a stop light to harass felons and young drivers. Front plates gets covered in dirt, road grime, snow and ice etc. They don't have a light. It obstructs the view of the front bumper cover, cuts legs as people walk by and tears at clothes. Time for them to go.
not disagreeing that the front plates ought to go, I hope they go very soon. At least before I do the paint job. I think the guy opining about the 50% was in fact pointing out that the camera recognition systems would only have one plate to read instead of two. I think it’s that simple. As for us mortals reading plates on moving vehicles that would be close to Supermans powers. The machines on cop cars that read plates are only focussed on the approximate location of plates and have extremely high pixel density and they read all the plates, but only signal the officer if a designated plate is detected. The info on the plate is transmitted to the car via data from a central server.

as for a cop plugging a plate # in while idling at a light I doubt that, but they do look at the validation sticker colour as I found out when I was pulled over by the policeperson in the car behind me.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:32 PM
arcteryxbird
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would this prevent us from being able to back into a parking space ?
Old 04-15-2019, 01:25 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

CP24 is reporting that the Minister of Transportation is saying the new plates will be front and back.

Well, at least I don't have to repaint my front bumper.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:50 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
CP24 is reporting that the Minister of Transportation is saying the new plates will be front and back.

Well, at least I don't have to repaint my front bumper.
That was always the way it was going to be.
The new design was to happen now with the decision on front plates to follow later.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:37 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

What if keep the standard format for the rear, and require (if we can't get rid of it) that the letters/numbers be displayed at the front, but with more choice in the format/colour? It's a compromise for those that really believe it's necessary, with an acknowledgement that the rear is significantly more important.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:58 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Emefef
What if keep the standard format for the rear, and require (if we can't get rid of it) that the letters/numbers be displayed at the front, but with more choice in the format/colour? It's a compromise for those that really believe it's necessary, with an acknowledgement that the rear is significantly more important.
That would be a production nightmare. They currently stamp out plates together. Plus they would have to run the back then run the front with a different set up and then merge them together and pack them up for delivery. And they would pass the costs on to the consumer.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:38 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
That would be a production nightmare. They currently stamp out plates together. Plus they would have to run the back then run the front with a different set up and then merge them together and pack them up for delivery. And they would pass the costs on to the consumer.
Oh I agree completely. What I meant was that the rear would be the supplied, official plate. The requirement would be that the same number would have to be displayed, but you would have the option of using the duplicate, or displaying it in an alternative form, subject to specific requirements. Those requirements would allow for other colour combinations, fonts, and sizes as long as basic requirements were met. Then anyone could make or provide simple number plates in really personalised styles.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:59 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 975 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Emefef
Oh I agree completely. What I meant was that the rear would be the supplied, official plate. The requirement would be that the same number would have to be displayed, but you would have the option of using the duplicate, or displaying it in an alternative form, subject to specific requirements. Those requirements would allow for other colour combinations, fonts, and sizes as long as basic requirements were met. Then anyone could make or provide simple number plates in really personalised styles.
Do you mean they would supply a rear plate with the same digits as your old plates? If so, that can't be done as every plate is heavily controlled stock and each set gets a specific barcode. Plus the people simply can't be trusted to not put the extra plates on another vehicle illegally. Sorry if I'm not understanding fully.

On a side note, now is the time to buy any personalized plates. If you buy them and don't register them you can re-sell them. I checked today if "TAYCAN" was available but it's already taken so people must be pre-buying them already.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:36 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Do you mean they would supply a rear plate with the same digits as your old plates? If so, that can't be done as every plate is heavily controlled stock and each set gets a specific barcode. Plus the people simply can't be trusted to not put the extra plates on another vehicle illegally. Sorry if I'm not understanding fully.

On a side note, now is the time to buy any personalized plates. If you buy them and don't register them you can re-sell them. I checked today if "TAYCAN" was available but it's already taken so people must be pre-buying them already.

I have always bought plates well in advance of using them. You never know when you need one. Years ago, when I first went to the Nürburgring I bought NRBRGRNG, NRDSCHLF and GRUNHLLE, and also have EAURUGE for Spa plus a bunch of other plates. I have others pre-bought for some other future projects. I no longer buy model specific plates though I did in my old BMW days. Fun to play with the options

Quick Reply: Ontario to scrap front license plates?