Notices

Rear ended in family hauler

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 05:36 PM
blassy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Rear ended in family hauler

So taking daughter to school yesterday in the family hauler. 2015 X5 Msport. Guy in front stops quickly to turn left and I had to slam on my brakes. Of course guy behind me isn't paying attention and slams into the rear of the truck. Hard enough that his airbag deploys. Everyone is fine - I'm actually impressed with that truck's ability to absorb that kind of impact. My daughter asked why we were stopping because she thought we just hit a bump.
Took it in today. Obvious some damage. Rear bumper is toast. One of the exhaust tips is hanging because it's bent. Heat shield underneath is destroyed but that was all I could see. Oh...bottom of tailgate is done and so is one of the rear quarter panels that was bent and pushed up.
Went in and 2 minutes later they came out and said I needed the rental ASAP as it wasn't safe to drive because the rebar underneath had bent so badly that it couldn't absorb another impact just in case.
Of course the kid on the spot offered to pay cash after his parents showed up. I politely declined.
Anywhoo.....
I'm hoping the damage to the frame isn't too extensive but since it goes back off lease in 3 months I guess it's gonna become their problem soon.
Good way to start the week!!!!
Old 04-10-2019, 01:42 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

“Went in and 2 minutes later they came out and said I needed the rental ASAP…” Who is they?
Old 04-10-2019, 01:49 PM
blassy
Instructor

Sorry. Took it to the collision centre for a survey of the damage. Told me I couldn’t take it home that day because of the damage.
Its leased so no huge worry but if the collision was hard enough to bend the rebar behind the bumper I’m afraid for the frame. Writing off a diminished value leased vehicle is probably a nightmare.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:16 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 144 Posts

That sucks. Glad you guys ok. Always scary with kids in the car when this happens.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:57 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,021 Likes on 726 Posts

error
Old 04-11-2019, 01:17 PM
Feld
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 61 Posts

If it bent the qtr panel without direct impact on the qtr you def have unibody damage. Nothing a good shop can't fix.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:10 PM
blassy
Instructor

So got the estimate. 15K and a 500 betterment charge to me for a muffler on a vehicle that's getting returned in 3 months. Somehow I knew I'd pay something for this............
Old 04-15-2019, 02:54 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by blassy
So got the estimate. 15K and a 500 betterment charge to me for a muffler on a vehicle that's getting returned in 3 months. Somehow I knew I'd pay something for this............
?? isn't the other guys insurance paying for it?
Old 04-15-2019, 03:56 PM
blassy
Instructor

Basically the insurance company saying hey. It was an old muffler and we are giving you a new one so you gotta pay the difference on wear and tear items.
Its also me saying. Hey. That sounds like a you problem not a me problem. Go find a 3 year old muffler or give me a new one since i wasn’t at fault getting hit from behind.
Such a scam.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:18 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by blassy
Basically the insurance company saying hey. It was an old muffler and we are giving you a new one so you gotta pay the difference on wear and tear items.
Its also me saying. Hey. That sounds like a you problem not a me problem. Go find a 3 year old muffler or give me a new one since i wasn’t at fault getting hit from behind.
Such a scam.
I would refuse unequivocally
Old 04-15-2019, 04:34 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Paying for a new muffler? BS. Find another adjuster at the insurance company. This is just a cash grab.
And.... with no fault. Would your insurance company not be going after the other insurance company anyway?
What insurance company? Don't know if you should, or can share this info.
They have to make the car whole, as you have to return it at end of lease, and it will need to have a muffler and a tip.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:35 PM
blassy
Instructor

I will be doing exactly that. It's completely bogus. In addition, they want to install aftermarket tail lights on the X5. If I want OEM, then I have to pay the difference.
Left the adjuster 2 messages already but guessing she;s in no hurry to return my call based on my tone.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:01 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

I thought insurance companies are obligates to use OE parts and are not allowed to use aftermarket ones. I agree as well to tell them to install a 3 year old muffler then. Their reasoning is typical insurance company BS. Don’t fall for it. They are obligated to put the car back in the same condition as just before the collision. If they can’t find a used muffler than that’s not your problem. Same goes for the lights too.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:55 PM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Typical Ins Adjuster working for their Bonus at your expense. Tell him go jump in a lake. I paid total out of pocket. Picked up parts and dropped them off for my choice Approved oem shop.Told'em to go u know where. Paid the bill in advance. Walked in to pick up car and surprise a re-imbursemnt cheque was waiting for me. May have a source for the parts pm me
Old 04-17-2019, 04:51 PM
blassy
Instructor

Shop just called. Said they got a call from the insurance company asking them to look into aftermarket exhaust and tail lights. Shop called me before doing anything. Seriously.
Its Allstate btw. I’m officially outing them in the thread now. Told them there’s no chance aftermarket anything going on since it’s your job to make it like it was BEFORE the accident that wasn’t my fault.

Quick Reply: Rear ended in family hauler