Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Rennlist Canada (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada-98/)
-   -   Woo Hoo! It's carbon tax day. (https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist-canada/1136570-woo-hoo-its-carbon-tax-day.html)

wc11 04-01-2019 04:07 PM

Woo Hoo! It's carbon tax day.

Eff you Tru-doh!
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...fb9015029f.jpg

Imo000 04-02-2019 03:41 PM

Can't afford the $3.5 extra on a tank of gas?

997turbocab 04-02-2019 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Imo000 (Post 15746180)

When you own a small business with 9 vehicles on the road it isn't...."Just $3.5 extra per tank"

Why would business want to stay in Ontario to get taxed to death....

Imo000 04-02-2019 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 997turbocab (Post 15746303)
When you own a small business with 9 vehicles on the road it isn't...."Just $3.5 extra per tank"

Why would business want to stay in Ontario to get taxed to death....

Ok, spread the extra cost of fuel (let's say it $5/tank) to the customers. If you have 5 customers/day, that's $1 more per customer or if it's just one customer than charge them all of it. I'm sure they can all afford it. Or next time get slightly more fuel efficient vehicles. The engine size of the service vehicles in North America are way more than what usually is required. Just look at what they use in Europe to do the same job. They always had a lot more expensive fuel and that's why they always had smaller engines.

wc11 04-02-2019 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Imo000 (Post 15746180)

Why do many relate this to an individuals gas tank and fail to look at the big picture?
Multiply your figure by whatever and apply that formula to trucks, buses, planes, trains & ships. The federal carbon tax will increase the price of diesel by 5.4 cents per litre in 2019, rising to 13.4 cents by 2022
Pretty much everything you use or consume is transported which means the cost of everything like food and heating goes up.

If you have a loved one in a seniors home, the federal carbon tax will also increase annual heating costs for nursing and seniors' care homes by $6.7 million in 2019, rising to $16.7 million in 2022 so pay up.

Just try to convince me that that the $307 rebate will offset the total increase.

Again. Big picture.

Oh and the various little countries in Europe don't compare to the land mass of Canada so unfair comparison

Porsches 04-02-2019 11:01 PM

This is a tax. Period. Paying $3.50 more per tank does not magically eliminate pollution. It does not somehow make polluting ‘ok’. In fact, the worst polluters are exempt from the ‘tax’ itself entirely. The very worst vehicular and transportation polluters will not be paying a dime more. This is as big of a failed idea as universal income. But - it may take some time to see that - and claiming that making people pay more for ‘carbon’ will somehow make pollution vaporize is nothing more than another delusional idea. Now having said all that (and assuming someone will have their panties in a bunch) I would be all for it if they would actually just come ‘clean’ and call a spade a spade. Call it a transfer of cash ‘tax’ from people who can’t afford to pay the tax so that the cash they collect from me will just go and pay for more government waste.

Nate Tempest 04-03-2019 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Porsches (Post 15747163)
This is a tax. Period. Paying $3.50 more per tank does not magically eliminate pollution. It does not somehow make polluting ‘ok’. In fact, the worst polluters are exempt from the ‘tax’ itself entirely. The very worst vehicular and transportation polluters will not be paying a dime more. This is as big of a failed idea as universal income. But - it may take some time to see that - and claiming that making people pay more for ‘carbon’ will somehow make pollution vaporize is nothing more than another delusional idea. Now having said all that (and assuming someone will have their panties in a bunch) I would be all for it if they would actually just come ‘clean’ and call a spade a spade. Call it a transfer of cash ‘tax’ from people who can’t afford to pay the tax so that the cash they collect from me will just go and pay for more government waste.

There is plenty of supporting evidence for carbon taxes, and it's just false that the biggest polluters are "exempt" from the tax. It is true that many large producers of carbon emissions won't pay any net tax though. Since the tax is designed to be revenue neutral, the amounts earned are returned in rebates. Naturally, that means many companies (and individuals) will not end up paying any tax on net. However, what the opponents to this tax leave out when pointing out that fact is that that's exactly as intended, and the incentive still works. Just because the tax and rebate may cancel out for a given large greenhouse gas producer, it does not reduce their resulting financial incentive to reduce emissions, and thereby end up even better off.

Now, of course, just as many companies and individuals will end up net positive after tax and rebate, even before making any changes in behaviour, there will also be those who end up worse off. (As with any change in government spending or taxation.) I can understand how this would suck if you're operating a fleet of vehicles or similar. That said, multiple degrees of global temperature rise would also suck (to extremely understate it), and a carbon tax is one of the most efficient, and overall least painful ways to mitigate that. In an ideal world, other countries will see it working in Canada and will follow suit. (Well, in an ideal world everyone would have acted long ago, once the situation became apparent, but just maybe in this world this can do some good.)

So yeah, while I don't have a lot of sympathy for people complaining that they'll have to pay a few bucks more to fill up their 911 (especially since rebates will largely cancel out the tax in regular cases like that), I do sympathize with those who will feel a significant impact on their businesses. But I strongly believe climate change is one of the gravest threats we collectively face today, and that a carbon tax is one of the smartest things that can be done about it, so to me it seems like a price worth paying.

wc11 04-03-2019 09:33 AM

1970's = the next ice age
1980's = acid rain
1990's = ozone layer
2000's = global warming
2010's = climate change
2020's = fresh water shortage...my prediction

all of the above = higher taxes

997turbocab 04-03-2019 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Imo000 (Post 15746379)
Ok, spread the extra cost of fuel (let's say it $5/tank) to the customers. If you have 5 customers/day, that's $1 more per customer or if it's just one customer than charge them all of it. I'm sure they can all afford it. Or next time get slightly more fuel efficient vehicles. The engine size of the service vehicles in North America are way more than what usually is required. Just look at what they use in Europe to do the same job. They always had a lot more expensive fuel and that's why they always had smaller engines.

Find me something more fuel efficient that a Ford Transit Connect and I will gladly switch. Do you think service providers are driving around in blown V8's with 355"s on the back?....

Originally Posted by wc11 (Post 15747703)
1980's = acid rain
1990's = ozone layer
2000's = global warming
2010's = climate change

...Yes but I CAN FEEL THE CLIMATE CHANGING AS WE SPEAK!!!!!!... Oh wait it's just spring. lol

Porsches 04-03-2019 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest (Post 15747495)
There is plenty of supporting evidence for carbon taxes, and it's just false that the biggest polluters are "exempt" from the tax. It is true that many large producers of carbon emissions won't pay any net tax though. Since the tax is designed to be revenue neutral, the amounts earned are returned in rebates. Naturally, that means many companies (and individuals) will not end up paying any tax on net. However, what the opponents to this tax leave out when pointing out that fact is that that's exactly as intended, and the incentive still works. Just because the tax and rebate may cancel out for a given large greenhouse gas producer, it does not reduce their resulting financial incentive to reduce emissions, and thereby end up even better off.

Now, of course, just as many companies and individuals will end up net positive after tax and rebate, even before making any changes in behaviour, there will also be those who end up worse off. (As with any change in government spending or taxation.) I can understand how this would suck if you're operating a fleet of vehicles or similar. That said, multiple degrees of global temperature rise would also suck (to extremely understate it), and a carbon tax is one of the most efficient, and overall least painful ways to mitigate that. In an ideal world, other countries will see it working in Canada and will follow suit. (Well, in an ideal world everyone would have acted long ago, once the situation became apparent, but just maybe in this world this can do some good.)

So yeah, while I don't have a lot of sympathy for people complaining that they'll have to pay a few bucks more to fill up their 911 (especially since rebates will largely cancel out the tax in regular cases like that), I do sympathize with those who will feel a significant impact on their businesses. But I strongly believe climate change is one of the gravest threats we collectively face today, and that a carbon tax is one of the smartest things that can be done about it, so to me it seems like a price worth paying.

One of the best non-judgemental rebuttals I have read on this topic anywhere. Thank you. I see and appreciate your point. I would like to add that while in my travels around Asia and the world, these massive ocean going ships and huge transports give off way more pollution in a single day than a years worth of every car in the USA and Canada. Why not just solve the problem wherethe problem is - instead of creating a paperwork nightmare. Just do not allow any foreign ships to enter the waters unless it has a certification. California changed the boat engine pollution laws and every single boat motor changed to support it.

Porsches 04-03-2019 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by wc11 (Post 15747703)
1980's = acid rain
1990's = ozone layer
2000's = global warming
2010's = climate change

Having said that Acid rain was the 70's, and they did solve it. Shockingly.

Imo000 04-03-2019 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by 997turbocab (Post 15747740)
Find me something more fuel efficient that a Ford Transit Connect and I will gladly switch. Do you think service providers are driving around in blown V8's with 355"s on the back?....

...Yes but I CAN FEEL THE CLIMATE CHANGING AS WE SPEAK!!!!!!... Oh wait it's just spring. lol

Your entire fleet are Transits and $3.50/tank is a big problem for you? If it really is, then just find a way to use them less to save the few litlres of fuel.

P.S. Climate change and weather are not the same.

997turbocab 04-03-2019 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Imo000 (Post 15747917)
Your entire fleet are Transits and $3.50/tank is a big problem for you? If it really is, then just find a way to use them less to save the few litlres of fuel.

P.S. Climate change and weather are not the same.

Global warming...I mean climate change...I mean whatever you want to call it doesn't exist.....How about instead of taxing everyone more the government taxes people less and is less intrusive? It's not the $3.50 a tank that the issue, it's the ADDITIONAL $3.50 per tank, on top of everything else....Corporate tax, personal tax, income tax, carbon tax, school tax....the 10 others I can't even think of. On top of that this carbon tax isn't going to stop people from taking their big SUVS up to the cottage, it isn't going to have people start all of a sudden taking public transport. It is simply a cash grab.

Imo000 04-03-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 997turbocab (Post 15747966)
Global warming...I mean climate change...I mean whatever you want to call it doesn't exist.....How about instead of taxing everyone more the government taxes people less and is less intrusive? It's not the $3.50 a tank that the issue, it's the ADDITIONAL $3.50 per tank, on top of everything else....Corporate tax, personal tax, income tax, carbon tax, school tax....the 10 others I can't even think of. On top of that this carbon tax isn't going to stop people from taking their big SUVS up to the cottage, it isn't going to have people start all of a sudden taking public transport. It is simply a cash grab.

Perhaps this tax should be 100% then and that will certainly change what people drive. It did when the oil price jumped about 10 or so years ago and then when it went down people started driving giant cars again. Also, it's not only about what they drive but also how often and how far they drive. The attitude of the average person (not car enthusiasts like us) actually is influenced by the cost of fuel. I understand the frustration of all the taxes and I'm not a big fan of it either but if that's the cost of living in Canada then so be it. Go visit/live in a 2nd or a third world country for a while and you will have a new appreciation of what we have here. Canada is a huge country when not many people. Taxes are one way to keep things going.

Also, you really haven't notice that our winters are getting less and less severe as the decades go by?

wc11 04-03-2019 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Imo000 (Post 15748079)
Perhaps this tax should be 100% then and that will certainly change what people drive.

100% tax ? State owned cars? Like Cuba, China & North Korea ? Where do I sign up?
So when we have autonomous cars in 10, 20, 30 whatever years when we no longer even own cars, then what will they tax?