Notices

Booking Cuba all inclusive

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 11:37 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Booking Cuba all inclusive

I never go anywhere, but want to change that.
Decided me and the misses should do Cuba. Varadaro? Havana?
Neither of us are into sitting on the beach or in a lobby.
Looking for place we can hang out a bit and check out the local culture and scenery.
I have no idea where to start looking. I get emails from PC travel and Aeroplan? Travel agency?
Looking to spend around $3,000 for the 2 of us.
Any suggestions guys?
Old 02-08-2019, 11:58 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 976 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
I never go anywhere, but want to change that.
Decided me and the misses should do Cuba. Varadaro? Havana?
Neither of us are into sitting on the beach or in a lobby.
Looking for place we can hang out a bit and check out the local culture and scenery.
I have no idea where to start looking. I get emails from PC travel and Aeroplan? Travel agency?
Looking to spend around $3,000 for the 2 of us.
Any suggestions guys?
Cuba is nice if you can handle the food. If you are a foodie I would go elsewhere. I have a friend that is a travel agent if you need ideas.

Personally I like the Riviera Maya. Punta Cana is also nice, but more for peeps that like to stay on the beach.

Here is her info:
https://www.shopmidland.com/brendasl...agonlittravel/
Old 02-08-2019, 04:31 PM
rob p
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been to all parts of Cuba and wouldn't recommend it. Nice beaches, that's where it ends.

Curacao is great, beautiful water and lots to do. Very safe Island.
Costa Rica is another good option if you are not a beach person.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:26 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

If you go to Cuba, go to Cayo Santa Maria or Cayo Coco. If you stay in the Memories resorts, the food is not bad. Cayo Santa Maria has the best beaches I've ever seen. Cuba is a good value if you are on a budget.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:38 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Haven’t been to Cuba for 20 years. Mainly because the weather there is not very consistent weather in January and February. For a beach vacation, can’t beat DR. Less than 4 hours flight time. Consistent warm hot weather. They have some great resorts too. Our budget is usually about $3k per person.

If you don’t want beach exclusively, I just love St. Maarten. Not sure if they are fully back to normal from the hurricane a couple of years back.

Costa Rica was a lot of fun. Lots to do off the resort. HOT. Really, Realy HOT.

We didn’t go anywhere this year as we got a new dog in the fall and wasn’t sure if he was going to be ready to stay with the in-laws yet. He was so we booked a trip to New York in the early spring.

Last edited by steam_mill; 02-08-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:32 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

What are your expectations? 5 star Cuba is not 5 star North America. More like 3.
Before I even get into it, keep in mind, you are going to a 3rd world country that is still under a trade embargo. Things are hard to impossible to get. 70% of the food is imported.
Pretty much nothing American exists there unless from the black market.

I typically go twice a year to Varadero. Went last December and am booked again for May. Close to the beaches, close to town. There are varying half day to full day tours to see and do many things.
Lots to see and do in Havana, especially the classic cars. It's downtown after all. The Iberostar Packard Hotels the best in Havana but super expensive.
In the hotel, you pay for nothing short of tips. You'll spend on outside excursions and stuff.

The food is the food. There's nothing wrong with it. It's more that there is a lack of many things so it's limited. We always bring some of our own spices as there's really very little.
Chicken & fish are a staple there and I love the rice & beans. For us, if you don't know what it is, don't eat it. No different than any other country. If your into cigars, there's nowhere else to go.

The people are wonderful and friendly. Yes it'a a time warp back to the 50's with a smattering of new & current technology here and there but that's part of the charm for me.
I don't want to see Holiday Inn's, KFC's, Starbucks or McDonald's dotting the landscape as that's pretty much everywhere else in the world.

To each his own though. It all depends on what kind of vacation you want and what your expecting.
Cuba is pretty inexpensive and you get what you pay for.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:27 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Am alternative to Havana is Santiago de Cuba, both cities have a lot of history.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:59 PM
CDNRay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the others, Cuba is great value for the money, but set your expectations. The beaches are nice, the food not so much, I thought the service was so-so and had many almost demanding tips in order to provide services that are supposed to be included at the resort. YMMV, but if you're budget is $3k for the two of you, Cuba is a good place to start. Think of it this way, every other resort you go to after will outshine any resort you stayed at in Cuba.

If you can up your budget, Riviera Maya is a great place, 5 star and even 5 diamond resorts there.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:26 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Rod - I would think that that budget is completely unrealistic if you are expecting anything other than a nightmare. $3K for three days or per person maybe... but not for both of you for a week, even in Cuba.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by 928gt
Rod - I would think that that budget is completely unrealistic if you are expecting anything other than a nightmare. $3K for three days or per person maybe... but not for both of you for a week, even in Cuba.

No necessarily. We went (2 adults and 2 kids under 12) for around $3200 CDN to Cayo Santa Maria (Memories resort) a few years ago. It was a Cuban 4 star resort with descent food and amazing beach. We have been to other parts of Cuba before and since and this one was the best so far. If you have time to start shopping early, you can find good deals.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:27 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 976 Likes on 471 Posts

Your budget should be fine, unless your going to a destination during a high season or at max capacity, or to a Sandals.

This is where we stayed in Mexico. Hotel was great, friendly staff, great food and a nice spot for day trips.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/book-t...oba?sirev=true

Old 02-13-2019, 02:32 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by 928gt
What do you think I should budget for?

Looking at a junior suite at SANCTUARY AT GRAND MEMORIES VARADERO. Looks nice.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:45 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Rod, don't know the hotel but if you have been to Cuba you will be fine and $3k can get you a week there or Mayan Riviera, also like Riviera Nayarit in Mexico, we stayed at Riu Jalisco and I recommend it. Have fun. We tried Dominican over Christmas for the first time and enjoyed it but prefer Mexico.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:48 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Check Costco vacations. Bored....go to Disney parks Florida
Old 02-14-2019, 08:56 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

If you add another $1000 to $1500 to your budget you'd have more options to choose from. Not sure when you're thinking of going, but February / March in the Carribbean is high season.

Quick Reply: Booking Cuba all inclusive