Notices

2019 economic outlook?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 11:41 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

I'm no guru but strange coincidence, a news article hit my feed this weekend suggesting this is not the time to buy in Canada's big cities with increasing interest rates and decreasing house prices. I'm not offering an opinion , just suggesting you look for the article.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:00 PM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
The sky is not falling just because newer generation isn't buying them. Don't worry, they are spending that same money on something else.
I agree... every millennial I know has the latest and greatest Android or Apple phone and a sweet home gaming PC. Why go outside to drive when you can just do it on your gaming system?
Old 02-04-2019, 10:26 AM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
I agree... every millennial I know has the latest and greatest Android or Apple phone and a sweet home gaming PC. Why go outside to drive when you can just do it on your gaming system?
Walk in any Starbucks & you see every teenager with the latest Iphone, latest macbook pro & a Canada Goose. That's atleast $7k of their hard earned minimum wage salary in the retail industry. The Need to have latest and the greatest amongst millennials unfortunately will never allow them to save that 20% down for their first home.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:17 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxr_fvr
Walk in any Starbucks & you see every teenager with the latest Iphone, latest macbook pro & a Canada Goose. That's atleast $7k of their hard earned minimum wage salary in the retail industry. The Need to have latest and the greatest amongst millennials unfortunately will never allow them to save that 20% down for their first home.
agreed, alot of these kids also purchase (re lease) brand new cars via the never ending rent cycle of car 'ownership'.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:00 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
agreed, alot of these kids also purchase (re lease) brand new cars via the never ending rent cycle of car 'ownership'.
Isn't it awesome? I never thought I'd be able to "afford" these cars!
Old 02-13-2019, 04:50 AM
leaf345
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts

More likely it is that that your sample is skewed if you're walking into a Starbucks. Besides, when your average starter home is 1.5 million in the GVRD, no one working in retail was ever going to be able to afford their first home. It's no coincidence that discount trading platforms and ETFs have taken off so much in the last 10-20 years.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:02 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
The sky is not falling just because newer generation isn't buying them. Don't worry, they are spending that same money on something else.
Exactly, it isn't right now, but if what they are buying is not manufactured in North America then there will be less jobs here and that will be the trickle down factor.....again i hope Im wrong but I see it coming.......the millennial or whatever you call them will just think the rents will bail them out...
Old 02-14-2019, 01:11 AM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
Exactly, it isn't right now, but if what they are buying is not manufactured in North America then there will be less jobs here and that will be the trickle down factor.....again i hope Im wrong but I see it coming.......the millennial or whatever you call them will just think the rents will bail them out...
exactly. .. just drove thru buffalo to the airport here. passed a ton of buildings. American radiator, u.s. nipples the list goes on.... all abandoned. a product of outsourced manufacturing. cheap is never cheap.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:50 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Good luck with the hunt. I think the market will continue to appreciate but more slowly than in the past few years.

I’ll keep you posted. im going to have a half of one of the fourplexes South of Queen coming. Renovated upper 2 bed, original 2 bed main (rope for reno) and unfinished basement where you could add a 3rd suite.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:30 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

there's plenty of millennials who skew the opinion of this thread the latest/greatest/overspend is an issue for most generations...
I think there's going to be plenty of opportunity soon for those who have been conservative
Old 02-17-2019, 04:52 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Not sure about Canada, but typically real estate investments work long term (10-20+ years). If you're thinking "let me buy something that will appreciate in the next few years and so I can resale" I'd be cautiousness. Instead you need to be able to afford a downturn and hold till recovery during this period.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:34 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
Not sure about Canada, but typically real estate investments work long term (10-20+ years). If you're thinking "let me buy something that will appreciate in the next few years and so I can resale" I'd be cautiousness. Instead you need to be able to afford a downturn and hold till recovery during this period.
Good advice!
Old 02-19-2019, 12:44 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

duplicate
Old 02-19-2019, 12:47 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
It's very hard to flip a home without putting a lot of sweat equity into it...

BY my basic math,
You lose the first 4-5% on realestate and lawyer fees.
and then another 3-4% per year on the mortgage interest...

You need to hope that the property goes up by at least 6% in the 1st year to make a profit.... I'd rather put it in a high interest savings account @2% or GIC @ 3%...

Your house cost $100 today, in 2020, you want to sell it for $110
You put $20 down as your downpayment, and mortgage $80
When you sell, you have to pay your RE agent $4.40
During the year, you pay the bank (*0.035x80) interest $2.8
Property taxes for the year $0.60
So you would make $10-$4.4-$2.8 - $0.60 = $2.2 on your $20 investment over the year.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:28 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I know some really smart millennials. One of my staff, under 35 bought her first house when she was 25 with her then boyfriend/now spouse. Live in a 1 bedroom apt. in the house. Lived rent free and build equity. Now lives in a much larger home, still rents out an apartment. Oh, and as a family, they have a very good income. They drive 1 conservative car. Never have the latest and greatest either. Actually reminds me of how my wife and I were at that age. Not all millennials are the same.

I figure, regardless of generation, can't help stupid.

Fast rewards require risk. If you want a sure thing there is only one simple rule that everyone should follow:

DO NOT FINANCE DEPRECIATING ASSETS.

This one rule will ensure financial success and most importantly financial independence.

Think about all the money many people spend just to get money. Unfortunately, how whole economic structure has moved away from production of a tangible item to financing necessary items. It used to be that Ford made a car for $5 and sold it for $7.50 and so made $2.50 on every car. Now Ford makes a car for $50, sells it for $55 and then finances it for 8 years and puts people in revolving debt.

How many people come to me car ads that say 0% financing but then the fine print lists the price of the car for cash and at least a 10% higher price if you finance.

Quick Reply: 2019 economic outlook?