Notices

OT - Inherited Stamp Collecton Valuation

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 06:01 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts
Default OT - Inherited Stamp Collecton Valuation

In the off chance anyone on the forum has found themselves in the same position, I'm looking for some guidance on where in the GTA I can obtain a valuation on a stamp collection. It was my grandfather's collection, who from what I hear was a fairly avid collector. I have zero interest in becoming a collector and/or storing a plastic bin full of stamp albums for 40 years in the hope that one of my two sons ever become interested. Just trying to figure out if the collection is worth $5 or $5k :-)

Cheers.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:58 AM
Whiplash_89
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good bet would be to find a forum. Post the stamps there and see what people think.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:50 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I've had it for almost 20 years. Scanning or taking pictures of them would be a big job in it's self.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:00 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

there are shops in downtown Toronto you can take the stamps to and have them look at them. I would do that and then go home and consider their offer.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:08 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 385 Likes on 164 Posts

A stamp collecting forum for sure then evaluators...

Old 01-04-2019, 01:17 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 967 Likes on 465 Posts

I'm in the same boat with movie posters. In the end I gave up and put them back in storage. The effort to get a proper evaluation simply involved way to much of my time.

If you take the lot to a dealer, be prepared for a low ball offer.

I would try ebay first, you will probably get more $$ than any local dealer will give you. But the big decision is do you catalog them for a detailed listing or just do a bulk listing and see what happens?
Old 01-04-2019, 05:41 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Thanks gents. Taking photos and posting would take a considerable amount of time in this instance. 100's of lose stamps and probably 500+ pages of stamps. I'll take a look for a forum and a stamp club of some sort that I can trust. My only fear (perhaps unfounded) is taking the whole collection to a shop and having someone help themselves to a stamp or two that are worth something as given the quantity I would never know. Cheers.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:49 PM
Only1
Track Day

There is a stamp collection meet at the Markham Village Community centre. Not sure on the frequency but from what I've seen it's a reoccurring thing.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:29 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Thanks Only1 - looks like I've found myself a lunch date as they appear to meet every other Wed. mid day less than 10 mins from my office. Cheers.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:39 PM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will be interesting to see what they are worth!
Old 01-15-2019, 03:27 PM
rob p
Intermediate

I have a box full of old stamps as well. Let us know how you make out as I would be more than happy to get rid of mine as well.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:09 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

I was in the same boat. Did some investigation. Whatever you think it's worth, you are probably way high. Seems not many people care to collect stamps anymore.
You can do research on the internet, or find books that list the value. Funny thing about stamps, unless they are in mint condition, the value is low.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:59 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

If they are in binders - photocopy each sheet (faster than scanning) and then look at grouping them by country and age. (if they aren't already.) Then a little Google working asking what is the most valuable stamps for each country should give you some results to look at to compare with what you have. If they are just thrown in bins loose, than its a nightmare. But wait... there's more. Stamps are divided into 'condition' Extremely Fine, Very Fine and Fine. Sub sets of this is Cancelled/uncancelled, and even details like perforations etc result in different valuations. But start with the sort by country and year and then go from there. A good publication to use is the Unitrade Specialized Catalogue of Stamps. http://www.unitradeassoc.com/Stampbooks.htm Determine where the majority of your stamps come from and buy the catalogue(s) that applies. At least you'll know the ball park value when you go to a buyer. They may debate you over the condition but this is sometimes a ploy to get you lower in value. Sell the whole collection is sometimes easier. Many people buy the whole collection just to get one or two stamps. I've done that - then I dump the rest as a grab bag on ebay.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:27 AM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Thanks gents - haven't made it out to stamp club yet (every other Wednesday). The vast majority are already in binders by country, although a number have fallen out. I did some quick googling and it would appear that there are a handful of what I have selling for $20-$30, however that being said I have no idea if that is what someone would actually be willing to pay. Will post the outcome.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:44 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by pfitzsim
Will post the outcome.
funny !!!!
what did the stamp collector do with his valuation investigation ?

he posted the outcome ..

Quick Reply: OT - Inherited Stamp Collecton Valuation