Notices

O/T - The Unofficial Snowblower Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 11:56 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
If I were doing it again. I would get the cool, power shoot stick. I thought it a gizmo, but now think it would work well at directing that snow.
I'd be worried about thaw freeze cycles, and stripped gears....
Old 12-10-2018, 01:44 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
It's an old, rusty loud machine but it does the job and the neighbors like it when I do their driveways too.
Sounds like you're talking about yourself. Lol

I stll have an old Toro S200 single stage from the '70s that's still working, we change the paddles and rebuild the carb when needed, the compression is starting to go so it shuts off under medium loads but if it's too much I say fug it and go get a beer and call it a day, too many friends dying shoveling snow, around the GTA the stuff melts anyway.

Last edited by Mark Lue; 12-10-2018 at 02:14 PM. Reason: fug
Old 12-10-2018, 08:54 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 967 Likes on 465 Posts

Here’s my beast. Just put on a new carb and bypassed the regulator with a direct throttle.

NEED SNOW!!!!!!!

Old 12-10-2018, 11:23 PM
GTA_G20
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone who commented. Very happy the thread got traction with lots of personal experience.

Currently im in St. Catharines. So snow isn’t crazy but when it comes it hits hard and the worst aspect I dread is when the snow plow comes by and leaves the ice mound at the edge of the driveway. My current driveway is about 2 cars wide and 4 cars deep. 15 x 40?

i heard a lot of good things about Ariens and Sno tek but I might just buy something used to get my feet wet. So many options out there and not being able to test drive them is like throwing a dart blindfolded
Old 12-11-2018, 12:21 AM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a Sno tek for 6-7years now, also has a Toro single stage in the middle for a 2nd property, both houses have below grade double garages, so 20x40 drive sloping up from the house. Your first decision is single of two stage, pros and cons to each... Single stage- pros- light weight, easy to transport/store, clean right down to the surface. cons- struggle with deep hard packed snow, move a limited amount of snow, propelled by the auger. Multi stage- pros- move large volumes of snow long distances, chew through snowplow berms, self propelled, multiple speeds. cons- storage, difficult to transport, don't quite get all the snow.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:26 AM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Ariens 2 stage blower - I used to live in Ottawa and used a shovel all the time.

Then I was there the year the annual snowfall record was broken - one Saturday morning we had 45cm fall in about 3 hours - I already had 5 ft snowbanks down each side of the driveway.
My neighbour (retired) had a single stage blower and I couldn't cope - we ended up with him holding it still and I shovelled snow into the blower! The drifts were deeper than the 'cut' on his blower
After that I got a 6HP 2 stage snow blower!! :-)
Old 12-13-2018, 01:04 AM
eyedoc
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Have 3 car garage 30ft at doors tapering to 22ft at curb 160ft away. Have 10.5HP Cub Cadet 2 stage 30" wide-self propelled, hydrostatic turning-6 forward/2 reverse speeds. Larger stone walkway to front door on 4 levels up 1 step per level- Tired of manhandling the brute on the walkway, so got a small 18" single stage Toro 99cc, very light for walkway. As we get wide and occasionally 2.5 ft high snowplow pile at end of driveway, Toro would just race over top of that if that pile is dense/semi-frozen, so the beast can chew through that. Fortunately that may only happen 3-5 times per winter. Bought Brute year after Mel Lastman brought Army into Toronto to clear snow; felt if I was going to continue doing my own driveway I needed a self propelled to replace the then Toro single stage I had then, which was larger 24", but it's limit was 8" snowfall, and over matched with town's plow leftovers. Unfortunately I traded it in on the bigger unit; And this year my back told me I couldn't continue using the big unit on the walkway. Can clear 8-10" on driveway in about 1 hour with this setup.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:22 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Check Kijiji, it's full of good snowblowers.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:12 AM
GTA_G20
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe me I’m on kijiji. However I don’t want to buy one too small nor do I want overkill. I also would like something that’s going to last ie Honda and Toro are getting positive mentions. I like the full metal construction and not plastic so it looks like I definitely will be looking at a used unit.

so far what I have determined is I want a 4cycle as I’m not one to be messing around mixing gas and oil into the tank. I also want it to be self propelled and it seems all of those are 2 stage machines. I want to have the machine get rid of the plow piles at the end of the driveway with minimal effort from my back. The hunt is on

Last edited by GTA_G20; 12-13-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:16 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

I sold my hs622 and bought my hs1132 on kijiji.... though i believe a hs928 would have been big enough... keep looking....

You could always get a used store brand one on kijiji and flip it after you find your honda/toro.......

My dad has a 10 yr old craftsman blower.... it's ok,,,had to replace a belt and a bad pulley a couple yaars ago, The chute mechanism is a little wonky but works (for now)
Old 12-13-2018, 11:23 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

I have a 6 year old Craftsman and it's a POS. The build quality is a joke. Pins for the chute fall out. Hand warmers are pathetic. I'm glad it has electric start because I tried to pull start it a couple of times and ending up getting an extension cord. lol
It does blow the snow .....unless it's wet.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:44 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Residential snowblowers get maybe 10 yours of use a year so they all will last a long time. Pretty much any 2 stage machine with 8hp (250cc or more) will be more than adequate for the average suburb house. Like a car, get one that looks like it has low Km. J Fire it up, see how it idles, engage the augers, test the transmission and look at the tires. That’s about all one needs to do. $500 should get you a good one unless you wait too long. The important part is always drain the carb bowl and the tank every spring or you will end up with issues next season. Some put fuel stabilizer in the tank and that is OK but you still need to drain the bowl. Here is a tip, if you have to replace one of the drive belts, get a belt meant for a snowblower and don’t use an automotive belt unless you have no other choice. The car belts are too soft and aren’t meant to slip like the ones on lawnmowers and snowblowers. Those belts are usually blue or green in colour as opposed to black.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:22 PM
eyedoc
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_G20
Believe me I’m on kijiji. However I don’t want to buy one too small nor do I want overkill. I also would like something that’s going to last ie Honda and Toro are getting positive mentions. I like the full metal construction and not plastic so it looks like I definitely will be looking at a used unit.

so far what I have determined is I want a 4cycle as I’m not one to be messing around mixing gas and oil into the tank. I also want it to be self propelled and it seems all of those are 2 stage machines. I want to have the machine get rid of the plow piles at the end of the driveway with minimal effort from my back. The hunt is on
Note-new Toros are 4 cycle-no gas oil mix as before. Even smallest 99cc has a chute. my original Toro was 2 cycle/no chute-was dependable but less effective with drifts over 8 in
Old 12-13-2018, 02:01 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

I bought two used Hondas from the classifieds , except for the first one which came with my house when i bought it ...
Yes they are pricey, but i sold the second one ( HS 80 ) for the same price i paid for it after about 7-8 years of use so i can upgrade to a 9/28 hydrostatic unit.Always starts up
on first pull and compared to the old Columbia 8/28 which i keep for the backyard, which is a total piece of s**t and vibrates just about every bolt loose in one Winter.

Thank goodness it has a plug in electric start otherwise i would have thrown it off a bridge already !
Sounds like a Honda 6/22 would be perfect for your application, be patient as they come up for sale eventually.I drove 6 hours round trip to
Quebec City to pick up my HS 9/28 and i never regretted it.
Old 12-13-2018, 02:32 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by GTA_G20

Toro Snowmaster 724/824 qxe is self propelled and hybrid (not true dual stage).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O/T - The Unofficial Snowblower Thread