Notices

Companies that convert vehicles to electric

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 09:05 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

GM is talking about an electric "LS" style crate engine.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:50 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 241 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Just like the steam engine, the ICE is on the way out. I'm sure there were people like you in 1903 that thought the steam will last forever. The writing is on the wall, all the major manufacturers starting making electric cars.
ICE succeeded then because it offered the best utility and economy. It still does and therefore will continue until something that offers better utility and economy comes along. Marketing 101.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:37 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Neb
Here are a few companies that can do it in Canada, the cost of batteries is the biggest issue.

http://www.canev.com/conversions.php

http://epiccarconversions.com/

http://www.easpower.com/

Here is a list of some in US
https://www.thoughtco.com/electric-v...ompanies-85249
Thank you 🙏
Old 11-29-2018, 10:49 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Sorry...why? Serious question...what do you want to accomplish?
Old 11-30-2018, 10:52 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Neb
Here are a few companies that can do it in Canada, the cost of batteries is the biggest issue.

http://www.canev.com/conversions.php

http://epiccarconversions.com/

http://www.easpower.com/

Here is a list of some in US
https://www.thoughtco.com/electric-v...ompanies-85249

LI-on batteries will set you back, but Lead/carbon batteries cost about half with about the same energy density but they are heavier. There are complete motor packages including planetary gear sets that weigh in the order of 50 lbs so in an old truck there’s plenty of offset given the weight of the OEM engine transmission and the ancillary parts.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:48 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bacura
Hey Ronnie, any plan to convert your TT? You might gain some needed torque!
Don't need any more torks Steven (or ph?) but will need a tow home since there are no plugs at The Goose...………..not even any damn coffee!
Old 12-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 977 Likes on 542 Posts

I'm very close to the Battery Industry, and know most but not all that is going on. And though we don't make Vehicle specific Batteries or engage in that research, I know just enough to make me understand about it.

My view is, if I was a tinkerer like I used to be and wanted to do a cool project I would look at an electric conversion for the fun of it..... knowing that it would be really a losing game overall if I was looking at it financially.

ICE engine are here for a long long while longer because they won't really be able to get a solid battery mileage out of a Car for a while without the longer recharging as is the circumstances now. And no matter what, who is going to want to be waiting in line to charge your car at some recharging area on a longer drive. The infrastructure to recharge on the go is not achievable at this point in time, and the time it takes is a deal break. Additionally I use a truck alot... Electric compared to Diesel just won't work out. So for a very small segment of the population that only drives short distances it this really going to work out.

Look at all the Service Stations that have gas and you can fill up anywhere, any time.... that is not going away anytime soon.

But what will be happening, from my perspective, is the self driving ICE Cars, even before electric, is what is going to change the world for the the average citizen. Just schedule a car to pick you up to take you to work each day on your app. No insurance , no owning a car, it will just be a built in expense.

But that wouldn't work for many of us who drive around alot or go to Yosemite and drive 6 hours to go places. I like Electric Cars, and owned a Volt, but I would never deal with slow re-charging and the ease of just filling up and driving. Cars are about freedom to go where you want, and always have been... the electric car is very limiting in the larger scope of things for my personal lifestyle as well as many others. So the Teslas, and Porsches incarnations are cool for around town, but I don't want to deal with Electric if going out of town or camping and finding someplace to charge and sitting around waiting. Cool concepts but in reality not anywhere near replacing ICE.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:01 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LastMezger
Sorry...why? Serious question...what do you want to accomplish?
I have a 1948 International Harvester pickup truck used for marketing and promotion. I want to convert it to electric. It will start more reliably than the existing 70 year old motor. My staff who don’t drive stick will be able to drive it. When I’m in local parades, I won’t carbon monoxide poison the girl guides walking behind me. And it’s something fun to market around.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:38 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by ggrace

I have a 1948 International Harvester pickup truck used for marketing and promotion. I want to convert it to electric. It will start more reliably than the existing 70 year old motor. My staff who don’t drive stick will be able to drive it. When I’m in local parades, I won’t carbon monoxide poison the girl guides walking behind me. And it’s something fun to market around.
This is the only time an electric vehicle has made some sense but wouldn't a newish low emission crate motor paired with an auto trany be cheaper and less worry hen running A/C on long hot parades?
Old 12-08-2018, 03:25 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ggrace

that totally makes sense!
Old 12-08-2018, 07:16 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

I read that Aston Martin will be offering electric conversions for older models so they can continue to be driven in areas soon to be verboten fohr ze ICE. It uses a cassette change over using the same engine mounts as the gas engined cars.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:06 PM
Scotty2H
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8
I read that Aston Martin will be offering electric conversions for older models so they can continue to be driven in areas soon to be verboten fohr ze ICE. It uses a cassette change over using the same engine mounts as the gas engined cars.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/6/1...-cars-city-ban

Imagine many classic arms of OEM to follow.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:33 PM
marshgator
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EV is going to be here sooner than you may think and it will be available with over 450 miles on one charge and 80% in less than 10 min. There is a new battery type coming out that's called 1-1-8 that will be available from Mercedes, VW and others that will extend the charge a multiple of what is available now. It's moving that fast and it has to do with using other rare earth minerals like Nickel Sulfate to totally change the battery's life as we know it today. I follow this from an investment perspective and know that this is going to revolutionize EVs. In my view ICE will be here for some time as the industry is too dependent on it and the infrastructure isn't there yet. The new EVs coming out will be very attractive to consumers with the coming new extended mileages and far less expensive than what is available now. But the bulk of this segment will be more visible in 2025.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:16 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Covert the truck's engine to EFI. Holley sells a bolt on kit that should work for your truck and then install a catalytic converter and an automatic transmission. Way cheaper option that the Electric conversion.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:21 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
This is the only time an electric vehicle has made some sense but wouldn't a newish low emission crate motor paired with an auto trany be cheaper and less worry hen running A/C on long hot parades?
AC? Who says we have AC! This thing is 70 years old.

You are right a crate motor and auto makes sense but I feel like if I’m going to undertake that, I might as well step into the future. Plus there is the marketing leverage of an electric vehicle in my business.

This guys says says I can do it for $25k. Toying to have deeper discussions with him.

https://www.theelectricbusco.com/

Quick Reply: Companies that convert vehicles to electric