Notices

OT: US cell roaming plans for Cali trip

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 04:10 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts
Default OT: US cell roaming plans for Cali trip

OT but kinda related to cars as i will be driving my C4S down to Cali in Jan for a few months. I will be moving around a bit and would like to have a data plan of some sorts for Waze/Google maps. I am less fussed about text/calling as i can hook up to wifi when i get to places so its more for driving. My provider, Freedom mobile, only has relatively short term (and expensive) plans with the max being 20 days with 20GB for $100. I have no idea what i will use oas far as data for say 2 weeks of driving down etc but cant imagine its 20GB and theres got to be a better solution

I know i can create my own google maps and download area maps for when i dont have data but i have found it doesnt always work and has left me inconvenienced before. Would like data at least for a back up

Any ideas?

Thanks

(and PS happy to take route suggestions as i am in no hurry and aim to mostly stay off interstates. Heading to Scottsdale 1st then to Cali - cheers)
Old 11-16-2018, 04:18 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

if you have an unlocked phone, check out ROAM mobility.... they weren't bad for US data... They use the T Mobile network I believe... one of my phones did not like it, check that your phone can use their band effectively.... It was a couple dollars per day
Old 11-16-2018, 04:25 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
OT but kinda related to cars as i will be driving my C4S down to Cali in Jan for a few months. I will be moving around a bit and would like to have a data plan of some sorts for Waze/Google maps. I am less fussed about text/calling as i can hook up to wifi when i get to places so its more for driving. My provider, Freedom mobile, only has relatively short term (and expensive) plans with the max being 20 days with 20GB for $100. I have no idea what i will use oas far as data for say 2 weeks of driving down etc but cant imagine its 20GB and theres got to be a better solution

I know i can create my own google maps and download area maps for when i dont have data but i have found it doesnt always work and has left me inconvenienced before. Would like data at least for a back up

Any ideas?

Thanks

(and PS happy to take route suggestions as i am in no hurry and aim to mostly stay off interstates. Heading to Scottsdale 1st then to Cali - cheers)
I'm on Telus and have easy roam, flat charge of $7 per day for access to my Canadian data plan while in the US. Your 20g for $100 is not a bad deal, 20 days would cost me $140. Or do what I do and just use good old paper maps, I actually find I enjoy the trips more that way. Another option is going with an app like Navigon, which has the maps contained in the app so all it uses is GPS.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:29 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Or buy a used GPS, like Tomtom off Kijiji for a few bucks!
Old 11-16-2018, 04:30 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by petee_c
if you have an unlocked phone, check out ROAM mobility.... they weren't bad for US data... They use the T Mobile network I believe... one of my phones did not like it, check that your phone can use their band effectively.... It was a couple dollars per day
Thanks, how do i even find out if my phone is locked? This is all new to me obviously

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
I'm on Telus and have easy roam, flat charge of $7 per day for access to my Canadian data plan while in the US. Your 20g for $100 is not a bad deal, 20 days would cost me $140. Or do what I do and just use good old paper maps, I actually find I enjoy the trips more that way. Another option is going with an app like Navigon, which has the maps contained in the app so all it uses is GPS.
Thanks, wasnt sure if that pricing was market or not but looks like it is but gets very expensive over +90 days but i guess i will mostly use it on the front and back end.

Navigon sounds similar to google maps where you can download offline maps
Old 11-16-2018, 04:33 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
And not even sure where you can get paper maps anymore ?!? I like this idea too as i hate relying 100% on tech
Old 11-16-2018, 04:33 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Imo000
Or buy a used GPS, like Tomtom off Kijiji for a few bucks!
Not a bad idea! Can you program your own routes?
Old 11-16-2018, 04:49 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 470 Posts

And not even sure where you can get paper maps anymore ?!? I like this idea too as i hate relying 100% on tech
They still sell them at almost every highway service centre. And CAA used to give them out for free, if you have CAA you may want to check with them.

Not a bad idea! Can you program your own routes?
Hard on a GPS, but the Navigon app allows you to build routes easily. I think I have an old Garmin GPS in basement, it's your for free if I still have it.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:04 PM
vern1
Drifting

Thanks Adam, i will check CAA as i am a member and also check out the Navigon app

Cheers
Old 11-16-2018, 10:44 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any ideas?

Thanks

Freedom is great for the US, actually works better in the US than Canada, since they switched US partners from T-Mobile to AT&T. The Data coverage is pretty good but for California it doesn't work good for the coastal drive along CA1 going south from Monterey, but I suspect many providers don't. As well, if you are going to do some banzai canyon driving I would recommend using regular GPS, the canyons is a place you don't want to get lost without a GPS.

I use the Roam Mobility Snowbird Plan if I'm down South for extended peroids, their US Partner is T-Mobile, so Data coverage is spotty in the rural areas.

Good Luck
Old 11-16-2018, 11:22 PM
vern1
Drifting

Thanks Mark, who is the Roam Mobility Plan with? And when you say "regular GPS" what does that mean? My NAV in the 997 has gps system so is that what you are referring to?

Cheers
Old 11-16-2018, 11:49 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Mark, who is the Roam Mobility Plan with? And when you say "regular GPS" what does that mean? My NAV in the 997 has gps system so is that what you are referring to?

Cheers
From Roam Mobility, you will have to have your phone Unlocked, Buy a US Roam Mobility SIM, they send it to you, you register it and choose your Plan(s).

I have both Magelan and Garmin GPS, they are old but still have free map updates. GPS in 997 is great but in California there are tons of cool outdoor stuff to do, plus you can take Day tours and hikes, mark the spot you like with the GPS and return at a later by car,...any car. ie. Death Valley, Joshua Tree, they are in the middle of no where so, would you trust your phone if you don't have data.

Last edited by Mark Lue; 11-17-2018 at 12:08 AM. Reason: link
Old 11-17-2018, 04:01 AM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks, how do i even find out if my phone is locked? This is all new to me obviouslyThanks, wasnt sure if that pricing was market or not but looks like it is but gets very expensive over +90 days but i guess i will mostly use it on the front and back end.

Navigon sounds similar to google maps where you can download offline maps
If your phone is locked to a single carrier, the carrier should unlock it for free since the CRTC banned unlocking fees in 2017
Old 11-17-2018, 11:08 AM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
From Roam Mobility, you will have to have your phone Unlocked, Buy a US Roam Mobility SIM, they send it to you, you register it and choose your Plan(s).

I have both Magelan and Garmin GPS, they are old but still have free map updates. GPS in 997 is great but in California there are tons of cool outdoor stuff to do, plus you can take Day tours and hikes, mark the spot you like with the GPS and return at a later by car,...any car. ie. Death Valley, Joshua Tree, they are in the middle of no where so, would you trust your phone if you don't have data.
Thanks Mark, i will check it out. I wouldnt trust my phone without data but as you point out there are areas where coverage can be spotty or non existent.

Originally Posted by Bud Fox
If your phone is locked to a single carrier, the carrier should unlock it for free since the CRTC banned unlocking fees in 2017
I will check out this with Freedom, thanks Bud
Old 11-18-2018, 05:42 PM
YVR74
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I drove from Vancouver to Scottsdale this past April. Took I5 on the way down and US93 back home, which took us through Nevada and Idaho. Nice drive but sometimes there was no cell coverage and it was a bit desolate in places. We are on Rogers and used the Roam Like Home deal which is now $7 per day for a max of 15 days. Not great, not terrible.
Anyway, we ended up buying a winter home in North Scottsdale and we plan to drive back down in late December. Gonna look into this Roam Mobility as suggested above. Seems pretty good. The other option we thought of was buying a TracFone SIM card in the US.

Quick Reply: OT: US cell roaming plans for Cali trip