Notices

Should you trust PPF installer (Sekanskin) with paint correction? - GTA

Old 10-25-2018, 01:01 AM
fDG
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should you trust PPF installer (Sekanskin) with paint correction? - GTA

Hi Everyone,

My GT4 currently has a full front wrap, and am looking to do the remainder of the car with PPF, but it needs a paint correction first.

Does anyone have any experience with Sekanskin in Mississauga for paint correction? I would ideally like to get it done at one shop, but do not want to sacrifice on quality of work whatsoever. Sekanskin has a pretty impressive lineup of cars they have worked on before, but I do not see many people talking about them for paint correction specifically.

My other option would be to take it to another detailer first ( I am leaning towards Kevin @ GTAindetail) but am not sure if this will yield any different results.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations, experiences, or advice you may have.

Thank you!

Last edited by fDG; 10-25-2018 at 01:02 AM. Reason: fixed title
Old 10-25-2018, 09:41 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

are you talking about removing swirls from your paint?

it's not that hard, or rocket science. RO, some pads and compound...

I was successful the 1st time I DIY'd it on 10 yr old black paint.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:34 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
are you talking about removing swirls from your paint?

it's not that hard, or rocket science. RO, some pads and compound...

I was successful the 1st time I DIY'd it on 10 yr old black paint.
What did you use ? Ive tried some Chemical guys stuff to no avail. The stuff my Detailer uses is unavailable to me and works instantly.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:16 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

I used the Optimum brand Compound and polish I believe, it was a while ago. Buy the small bottles, I made the mistake of buying the large bottle of it, and I don't think it was very stable. The next time ( a couple years later) I went to use it, it had come out of emulsion (settled) and I couldn't get it to re-emulsify.

I "only" have the Porter Cable RO machine... worked fine. There are some youtube videos on it. Took an afternoon on my boxster.....
Old 10-25-2018, 01:07 PM
fDG
Track Day

Yes, I'm talking about removing swirls and light scratches. I am particular concerned of the carbon fiber wing on the GT4, as it does have swirls, and the paint is thin.

My fear is that someone who doesn't know what they are doing could buff out more clear coat than needed. I plan on keeping this car for a long time and want to preserve the paint as much as possible.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:41 PM
go-ran
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Why not have Kevin do the paint correction and his partner Marco do the PPF?
Old 10-25-2018, 02:39 PM
fDG
Track Day

Marco's price was way too high compared to competitors. If memory recalls correctly, I think it was slightly more than double the price. I have read nothing but positive reviews from Sekanskin, and see no reason to pay double.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:47 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's hard to mess up or strip too much with a PC Orbiter. If you have the correct equipment and detailing material then you can save yourself hundreds/thousand of $. Not to mention the bonding time watching it transform to a showroom gem. I do my own detailing as Ferrari's inherently have soft paint. I have a process that may be a bit tedious for most.
  • Start with foam sprayer or microfiber wash pad.
  • Use two wash buckets. One for car shampoo and one for rinsing your wash pad.
  • Shampoo, Chemical Guy Honey Dew Snow Foam not only smells like a honey dew melon, but it provides mega suds. I also use P21S after an intensive detail (usually after storage. P21S uses the least amount of cleaning agents and is less likely to strip sealer
  • After washing I check if the paint has picked up any foreign contaminants while in storage. It's surprising how much crud accumulates even covered.
After washing:
  • I generally use the back of my hand to test the paint surface after it's been thoroughly dry. If needed, I chose Ricardo Clay bar (Yellow) or Chemical Guy (Blue). They are both mild for the Ferrari paint.
  • If you think the paint needs a good polish, the Meguiar's #205 Ultra Finishing Polish is an amazing product that removes light swirls restoring the nature paint beauty. Use #105 for more aggressive swirls. I use an orbital machine for this but you can apply it by hand - it's that easy to apply and remove.
  • A fantastic all in one polish is the Wolfgang Total swirl remover 3.0. Pricey but may the only polish/compound you'll need. Another great product is the Klasse All-in-One Polish.
  • Wolfgang Paint Sealant 3.0 is applied to enhance the paints gloss. I used many types but the WG 3.0 gives the Rosso Corsa paint a dripping wet look. Wait ~45 minutes for sealant to cure on paint, then remove. Wait ~12 hours before exposing to moisture in a covered area. I usually apply 3 coats of sealant.
  • Wax - Apply your favourite wax but in reality, the sealant can be used as a wax. My preference is WG Fuzion and Pinnacle Souveran wax. Both compliment the WG sealant very well and doesn't turn the process hazy with the layers of sealant applied.

I realize this is a bit of over the top but I consider it a bonding period between man and machine - a labour of love. My daughter enjoys detailing it with me so it's not a waste of precious time. Others prefer to have it professionally detailed since time is not exactly something we may have at our disposal. Take your time, do some research on the products you want to use. Your results will vary due to various factors. And most of all....enjoy it!
Old 10-25-2018, 05:36 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 725 Posts

Does Sekanskin do paint correction in house with their own staff? OR do they contract it out to a detailer who visits their shop to complete the work?
Old 10-25-2018, 05:36 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 725 Posts

Let's also see your car!
Old 10-25-2018, 11:05 PM
fDG
Track Day

Originally Posted by 99three
It's hard to mess up or strip too much with a PC Orbiter. If you have the correct equipment and detailing material then you can save yourself hundreds/thousand of $. Not to mention the bonding time watching it transform to a showroom gem. I do my own detailing as Ferrari's inherently have soft paint. I have a process that may be a bit tedious for most.
  • Start with foam sprayer or microfiber wash pad.
  • Use two wash buckets. One for car shampoo and one for rinsing your wash pad.
  • Shampoo, Chemical Guy Honey Dew Snow Foam not only smells like a honey dew melon, but it provides mega suds. I also use P21S after an intensive detail (usually after storage. P21S uses the least amount of cleaning agents and is less likely to strip sealer
  • After washing I check if the paint has picked up any foreign contaminants while in storage. It's surprising how much crud accumulates even covered.
After washing:
  • I generally use the back of my hand to test the paint surface after it's been thoroughly dry. If needed, I chose Ricardo Clay bar (Yellow) or Chemical Guy (Blue). They are both mild for the Ferrari paint.
  • If you think the paint needs a good polish, the Meguiar's #205 Ultra Finishing Polish is an amazing product that removes light swirls restoring the nature paint beauty. Use #105 for more aggressive swirls. I use an orbital machine for this but you can apply it by hand - it's that easy to apply and remove.
  • A fantastic all in one polish is the Wolfgang Total swirl remover 3.0. Pricey but may the only polish/compound you'll need. Another great product is the Klasse All-in-One Polish.
  • Wolfgang Paint Sealant 3.0 is applied to enhance the paints gloss. I used many types but the WG 3.0 gives the Rosso Corsa paint a dripping wet look. Wait ~45 minutes for sealant to cure on paint, then remove. Wait ~12 hours before exposing to moisture in a covered area. I usually apply 3 coats of sealant.
  • Wax - Apply your favourite wax but in reality, the sealant can be used as a wax. My preference is WG Fuzion and Pinnacle Souveran wax. Both compliment the WG sealant very well and doesn't turn the process hazy with the layers of sealant applied.

I realize this is a bit of over the top but I consider it a bonding period between man and machine - a labour of love. My daughter enjoys detailing it with me so it's not a waste of precious time. Others prefer to have it professionally detailed since time is not exactly something we may have at our disposal. Take your time, do some research on the products you want to use. Your results will vary due to various factors. And most of all....enjoy it!
Thanks for the detailed reply. I do see the value in spending "bonding time" with my car, detailing and getting it back up to show room shine. I do hand wash, but considering I will be wrapping the car, I will not need to deal with polishing for a number of years. It is a valuable skill I want to learn, but for now, I think I want to leave it up to the professionals.

It seems that the general consensus is that it is hard to mess up polishing, especially with a dual action polisher. Actually, even Kevin @ GTA in detail advised me of the same. Still, I feel nervous since there are virtually no reviews of Sekanskin doing a paint correction and I don't want to take any chances.

If anyone has any experience with Sekanskin doing their paint correction please chime in.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:07 PM
fDG
Track Day

They do it in house. They advised me that 3 of them are Ceramic Pro Certified which "goes hand in hand with paint correction"
Old 10-25-2018, 11:11 PM
fDG
Track Day

Heres what I have right now. She needs a photoshoot, but maybe after I get this PPF film thing sorted. Cheers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should you trust PPF installer (Sekanskin) with paint correction? - GTA